Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:34 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,720,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertspiritsteve View Post
I'm not sure if this should be a new thread or what. My neighborhood is under siege from out of state roofers. They want my insurance money and I'm hanging on to it. I have repaired most of the hail damage, but my roof could probably last another five years. Is there any rule of thumb what the charge is to install by the square? Every morning I go out of the house and hear pounding in all directions. I was thinking I would wait until it had been quiet for a couple of weeks and get another bid. There are signs in front yards everywhere for companies I've never heard of. I have a 300 square foot garage in my back yard. It is a hip roof and has mission tile ridges. Does it really take 6 squares to roof 300 sq. feet?
The "rule of thumb" for Phoenix shingle roofing was about $100/square for labor (tear-off, haul away & new install), + the cost of the shingles you chose - often you could get it done for under $200/square. Now, the insurance companies have created a feeding frenzy by handing out $300-$400+ per square for re-roofs, and not even requiring the old roof to be torn off (which can be legal, but shortens the life of the new roof).

A "square" is 100 square feet of roofing material - and with a peaked roof, a 900 square-foot house might actually require 1100 square feet of roofing material, or 11 "squares", but the number won't be double unless it's a super-peaky roof, like on a "cape-cod" or an "A"-frame building.

FWIW, if it were me, I'd wait another year until the roofers are hungry again, or worst case, look for an unlicensed contractor from craigslist if it's just a garage, there are still guys there charging sane prices - you just have to specify clearly what you expect and supervise them to make sure they deliver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: