Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 06:48 PM

8 posts, read 13,768 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Chicago and so I always think about downtown Chicago when I go to a city center and you know compare the two -anyways today I went to the Arizona Science Center for the first time and drove around a little bit in the downtown area. It was a little Twilight Zone-ish hardly any people walking around and no traffic. Seemed weird all these big buildings and hardly no people. Is this the norm or was today just an off day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 08:34 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,081,929 times
Well, we are missing Michigan Ave and State Street here. Just Central Ave doesn't really do it so I guess you can rule out everyone who would be shopping in Chicago is not doing that in downtown Phx. And I always thought downtown here was really not a place you could call outstanding. It is darn quiet. It doesn't have much to do, and nobody goes there much. Most people go to the outlying shopping centers for lunch, shopping , etc. I have found that the light rail has helped somewhat but it will never be "the loop."

Old 02-07-2011, 10:15 PM

142 posts, read 933,980 times
I grew up near NYC and went to college in Baltimore. Yep, totally different idea of a downtown here in Phoenix. You know, I have come to like the downtowns of Maricopa county more so than the downtown of the big city: downtown Tempe and Glendale have wonderful shopping, history, and eating establishments. Maybe no glitz and glamour but a more college or historic vibe can be found. Downtown Scottsdale has unique art galleries, food, and shopping.

Unfortunately, I only look at Phoenix's downtown as a destination for whatever I am planning that day: science center, a play, an event at the Convention Center, a baseball game, basketball game, etc. I do not go to downtown Phoenix just to go 'downtown' and walk around. So, if you go on a day when a ball game is in town you will see more activity. If the symphony is having an event or if the US Airways arena has something going on, there will definitely be a more 'alive' feel. It's just how it is here and I've found that I feel the same way about San Diego, Albuquerque, and even Denver. They just can't compare to NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Boston, Chicago, or Seattle. I've accepted the fact that it's not bad, it's just different.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:30 PM

593 posts, read 1,413,067 times
All the shops abandoned downtown in the 80s and 90s for the burbs and it has never really recovered, but it's trying!!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,290,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue80920 View Post
I grew up in Chicago and so I always think about downtown Chicago when I go to a city center and you know compare the two -anyways today I went to the Arizona Science Center for the first time and drove around a little bit in the downtown area. It was a little Twilight Zone-ish hardly any people walking around and no traffic. Seemed weird all these big buildings and hardly no people. Is this the norm or was today just an off day?
The last time I was downtown, it was on a weekday afternoon, and it was pretty busy with mostly office workers, people eating outdoors, and waiting at the light rail stations. If you went there on a weekday, I'd be a little surprised that there wasn't any traffic. After dark, it really becomes dead, unless there is a Suns or DBacks game, concert, or some other event. Phoenix has been trying for many years to improve downtown ... and it has gotten better (slowly but surely). The problem is that, even at its greatest moment, it will probably never be like what you found in Chicago.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The problem is that, even at its greatest moment, it will probably never be like what you found in Chicago.
I think you would have to invent a time machine and go back in time to about the 1930's-1960's to see a faint glimmer of a Chicago-esque downtown. I'll get right on it.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:29 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
While there are people working downtown, lots of them, Phoenix's "business district" really isn't one place, it's more spread out. And, people don't come downtown to shop, so you will only see people who work in the area or come downtown for courts or other business.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
you will only see people who work in the area or come downtown for courts or other business.
I always thought people left downtown Phoenix quick before the sun went down and before the homeless started coming around, but seriously I've never seen homelessness like I've seen in downtown San Diego. The downtown post office here is surrounded by homeless people in tents before the sun even goes down. And they are just sleeping in doorways and on sidewalks everywhere. I can't even complain about the homeless problem in Phoenix any more after witnessing it here in SD!!

Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM

932 posts, read 1,965,559 times
I guess I'm the only one who goes to downtown Phoenix to just be in downtown.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:54 PM

229 posts, read 416,929 times
Downtown Phoenix is just gross!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area