Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:29 AM

523 posts, read 937,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
We are in the process of trying to get a different pest control company because obviously the old one wasn't doing it.

I know it is nearly impossible to get rid of all of them, but we hoping for at least an improvement.
Let us know how it turns out. I know that once they have established themselves, it is extremely difficult to get them out. It's one of the major problems, especially when you look at the pest hot spots throughout the Valley.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:47 AM

426 posts, read 1,307,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
We are in the process of trying to get a different pest control company because obviously the old one wasn't doing it.

I know it is nearly impossible to get rid of all of them, but we hoping for at least an improvement.
Before switching, I'd find out from the old company what they are spraying with and do some research on it. Before picking a new company, find out what they use and research it too.

If you switch companies and they both use the same stuff, you might not be any better off. I personally do my own spraying and don't have to worry about what is being used and if the proper amounts are put down or not.

Old 02-19-2011, 03:27 PM

21 posts, read 22,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post
Before switching, I'd find out from the old company what they are spraying with and do some research on it. Before picking a new company, find out what they use and research it too.

If you switch companies and they both use the same stuff, you might not be any better off. I personally do my own spraying and don't have to worry about what is being used and if the proper amounts are put down or not.
That's something to think about. Switching companies could end up producing greater problems if they were on a particular regimen or schedule.

Changing it up to something new would require a good amount of research, but it could be worth it, depending on how it pans out.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 PM

103 posts, read 229,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Ah I see we are back to the City Data scorpion scare. I remember the Hanta virus scare not that long ago. Okay so time to inject some reality back into this thread. Every year, there is a scorpion thread in which it's threat is greatly exaggerated.

1. Scorpions are generally found near natural terrain ie mountain side, out in the middle of the desert. They are RARELY found in the suburbs away from natural terrain.

2. The ones that are found in the suburbs are usually near new construction or sites that have been recently dug up or excavated. Again, these are rare for your run of the mill home in Tempe in the suburbs.

3. The best way to get rid of scorpions is two-fold

(A) Seal your home. It works. There will be some fools who will claim it doesn't work but it does. I know a lot of people who have had it it done and they live in the Foothills, Camelback mountain and North Scottsdale near natural terrain and it helped get rid of the scorpions. Ky Ko roofing provides this service and they do a good job

KY-KO Residential Roofing Systems - Phoenix, Arizona

(B) Kill the food source. Scorpions love crickets and roaches. If you have a lot of crickets and roaches, beware of scorpions because they are on the way. Pay the money and have these pests taken care of. Crickets in particular can be a pain to get rid of if you try to Home Depot it. Hire a good pest control service and do it the right way. A lot of people who claim to have bug problems "despite using pesticides" were guys who thought they could buy some Raid and take care of it. The real stuff is more concentrated and more expensive. Pest control service also have new chemicals that work really well that are not available in stores.

If you do these things, you will pretty much eliminate scorpions particularly if you live in a suburban area away from natural terrain. And again, don't believe some of the respondents on this thread. There are some haters who are camped out on this forum with the sole purpose of speaking ill of Phoenix; youll be able to tell who those people are. Scorpions are rarely a threat for those who live in the suburbs. There are just as many people who live here that have never seen a scorpion but of course the complainers are the ones who shout the loudest so you don't hear from all the people who have never witnessed scorpions.
what a joke your post is. there is as many in certain parts of suburbs as there are in mountain areas. just look at the radar map of phoenix that highlights scorpion populations. it has nothing to do with terrain.

i lived under north mountain and had zero scorpions. i lived in chandler for 4 years in a suburb and had one a month in the house.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnari View Post
what a joke your post is. there is as many in certain parts of suburbs as there are in mountain areas. just look at the radar map of phoenix that highlights scorpion populations. it has nothing to do with terrain.

i lived under north mountain and had zero scorpions. i lived in chandler for 4 years in a suburb and had one a month in the house.
Chandler is a known hot spot for scorpions. The radar maps of Phoenix area infestations can be helpful in this way as you were saying.

Most of them are frequently updated by pest control and government regulation agencies. Recently city governments have been trying to address the roof rat problem, but people don't usually find them as offensive as scorpions or roaches in the house.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:26 PM

13 posts, read 40,042 times
Original poster here...

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in so far. There's a pretty big range of responses from "the threat is totally blown out of proportion' to "everyone deserves to be informed of the potential risks of moving to the Southwest and scorpions are one of them..."

Because of this, I think it might be good to ask a new question. Mainly, what has worked for you in getting rid of them? So far we've heard that the following treatments are pretty effective:

1) Killing their food source with pesticides
2) Sealing the house so that they can't find an entry

That being said, for those of you who have had them and have gotten rid of them... Would you recommend a certain treatment or company? How often do you use the treatment? What are the costs associated with it?

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2011, 07:18 PM

105 posts, read 326,307 times
Luckily I havent had a problem in 3 years so far. I did find one on the living room wall the October before last, but I'm sure that means there are 1000's more around outside and even inside we don't see. The houses down near the greenbelt in my neighborhood get 'em quite regularly.(I live in Gilbert) I was walking my dog one night and saw a father and son blacklighting their walls. They had disposable cups full of scorps they had picked off the walls of their home and surrounding walls, but they do live right next to the greenbelt that is regularly watered and full of crickets for the scorps to eat. 1 in 3 years in the house is fine by me, especially since I have a handicapped child who spends alot of time on the floor. I've had pest control since day one. I used Bulwark for 2 years and they did a great job, but switched to EcoFirst, and noticed they spray the fenceline, whereas Bulwark didn't. Everyone has given the right info, kill their foodsource, and a home seal if you want to feel extra safe. You may still see 1 or 2, or none at all. As said before, your area has alot to do with it. There are neighborhoods where one house has seen none and the house across the street has tons.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:06 AM

99 posts, read 259,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post

I appreicate the thought. It is good advice which I will follow. I am going to get the records from my current company and look them over before deciding whether or not to go with a new company.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 PM

193 posts, read 678,060 times
I searched and found this article and there's a link to a map also (news website), from 2009:
Are You Living In A Scorpion Hot Spot? - Phoenix News Story - KPHO Phoenix

Personally, I like the chicken idea :P

Old 02-22-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD33 View Post
Original poster here...

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in so far. There's a pretty big range of responses from "the threat is totally blown out of proportion' to "everyone deserves to be informed of the potential risks of moving to the Southwest and scorpions are one of them..."

Because of this, I think it might be good to ask a new question. Mainly, what has worked for you in getting rid of them? So far we've heard that the following treatments are pretty effective:

1) Killing their food source with pesticides
2) Sealing the house so that they can't find an entry

That being said, for those of you who have had them and have gotten rid of them... Would you recommend a certain treatment or company? How often do you use the treatment? What are the costs associated with it?

Thanks!
This is a good idea. To know what others have done who have been more success in reducing scorpion run-ins would be helpful. There is a additional information on a different thread about addressing the cockroad approach. There have also been thoughts about over-poisoning around the house, where it can lead to detrimental health effects, such as cancer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area