Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2011, 12:55 AM

343 posts, read 524,452 times

Advertisements

I jumped for joy when they banned them in L.A. It's noise pollution for sure but doesn't it put out other pollution as well? Plus they kick up dust (cars get coated) yet construction companies are required to wet down their sites for that reason.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 01:21 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,230,544 times
Speaking of leaf blowers, does anyone know of a shop that sells used leaf blowers? I promise to use it sparingly and during normal hours LOL.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:21 AM

175 posts, read 372,345 times
Leaf blowers should be banned! What happened to the good old days when people would use rakes and brooms. No wonder obesity is such a problem today.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:40 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,947,170 times
Rakes are fine for lawns, but what do you do for gravel?

I dont really get the problem here, the original poster must be exaggerating. We have our front and backyard done once a week and its maybe 20 minutes that the blower is on? You can't even really hear it when they are on the other side of the house, only when going by a wall/window you are by.

If it bothers you, why are the windows open when they are using the blowers.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:45 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Rakes are fine for lawns, but what do you do for gravel?

I dont really get the problem here, the original poster must be exaggerating. We have our front and backyard done once a week and its maybe 20 minutes that the blower is on? You can't even really hear it when they are on the other side of the house, only when going by a wall/window you are by.

If it bothers you, why are the windows open when they are using the blowers.
Maybe we could go to 1/4 minus. I have much of my "estate" in 1/4 minus and that can be raked quite easily. It's the chunky stuff out front that defies being cleaned out with anything but a blower. Our HOA won't allow 1/4 minus in front though.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:42 PM

99 posts, read 259,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
Is there a neighborhood anywhere in the Phoenix area where we can get away from blowers? I tried to keep the windows open today but the neighbor across the street was getting her yard done. Then the neighbors 2 doors down got their yard done and I swear the guys spend 2 hours with the blowers going constantly. It's like they don't know how to use a broom or a rake!

Maybe I do need to live somewhere cold as much as it would kill me! This goes on all year long. It's bad enough that everyone's dogs bark all day long but then the blowers go. Maybe it's my fault for being home all day long. My husband works out of the house and it's hard for him to be on conference calls because he can hear it even while locked in his office!
With the amount of dust and dirt here, it's pretty hard to ever get away from leaf blowers. You could try using headphones or another noise-cancelling source to deal with the buzz.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:27 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Those noise cancelling headphones are great. I used them once while taking an exam for a professional license. I couldn't believe how effective they were. I couldn't hear a thing.

As for the issue of how long these yokels blow, it's different now than in the past. I finally went psycho on two guys in the neighboring condo complex who came through my area (my condo borders the other complex). They came through 6 times in 5 hours. One guy would cut, and the doofus with the blower would blow. Then again, again, again, again, and AGAIN. On the 6th time I went out there and went off on them. They had shown up at 8am and were still at it at 1pm. They're too stupid to figure out that you do one area in its entirety, and then go through and blow it all, all at once. Job done. I told them if they did it again I was going to the office that hired them and complain. Miraculously, since that time about 3 months ago, the problem is solved. Now they only come through twice in a couple hours, then they're gone. Thankfully.

I hope the OP can find some resolution. Two hours from one blower is noise pollution and should be stopped. There's no excuse for it, and probably an HOA rule or a city/local ordinance against it. It doesn't take 2 hours to blow one yard. Beyond 1 hour, it's just a stupid guy playing with a fun toy. Almost like making stuff blow up, so important to so many guys.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:40 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
The guy who does my neighbor does two at one time - one in each hand. Lots of decibels. It sounds like I am back in class at ASU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area