Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:42 AM

114 posts, read 572,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrossy View Post
Hi, I'm a single mother of a 16 yr old daughter. We are coming out to Arizona in April to check out ASU and U of A.
I am seriously contemplating moving to Arizona with my daughter. I have been hearing such bad things about Arizona (crime, housing, jobs, bugs, etc.).
Not sure if the media is telling the whole truth about how bad Arizona has been hit with the economy.

Can someone please tell me what's going on? I don't really know much about Arizona (visited Scottsdale last year), that's about it.
We are sick of the NJ winters and long for the warm/hot weather in Arizona. (and the 300 days of sunshine).

My daughter is an Honors Student with GPA of 4.3...she is wondering if either college will be challenging enough for her. She is not a partyer but is a very social person who takes her studies very seriously.

How are the people? where are the good places to live? what areas should we stay away from? any advise on job market? ...thanks so much for your help!
We lived in AZ 12 years and went ot U. of A often and ASU occasionally - both are excellent universities. And except for the summer months - you can't beat the weather. MajorHart
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 12:45 PM

78 posts, read 103,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrossy View Post
How are the people? where are the good places to live? what areas should we stay away from? any advise on job market? ...thanks so much for your help!
FWIW, my family and I moved down here last summer from KC and couldn't be happier. In my experience, people aren't that awfully different than anywhere else but it is a lot more laid back than the east coast (I lived in new Haven, CT for a couple years and spent a decent amount of time in NJ/NY). I much prefer the east valley down here, with a particular love of N. Scottsdale, although there are nice areas all throughout the metro. As for job advice, I'm sure a lot of it depends on your area of expertise. My wife and i are both IT Business Analysts and we had ZERO luck with jobs before we got here. We searched pretty fervently for about 6 months prior to the move and made nearly no progress. Once we moved though, I had a job within 2 weeks and my wife had 2 job offers within 3 weeks. I'm sure that's not typical, at least from what I hear from others, but it's how things worked out for me.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:53 PM

19 posts, read 58,039 times
You probably will not receive any responses to your resumes until you have an Arizona return address and Arizona drivers license. I have lived in Arizona 10 years now...born and raised in New York but lived in most states(military). If you move to Arizona you probably will not miss New Jersey (other than family and friends) much after the first year ..the first year you miss all of the food that you can only get there...Prior to my moving to Arizona I tried sending applications/resumes and received no responses. Once you have an Arizona return address and drivers license you will get responses...weird.The only answer I can offer_I know there are more_ is that local checks are done with the drivers license and in the county you reside. Your daughter will probably appreciate the NAU life more -from your description of her likes/dislikes. NAU is a great school as well as U of A. ASU is our great party school.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:36 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,600,654 times
Hi nrossie,
I am from NJ, too, (Newark) and am moving to AZ at the end of June to attend ASU as a grad student. They have a great program in my field. Like you, I abhor the winter here. I've been to AZ 4 times going back and forth looking at homes and neighborhoods.
Tempe is nice but a bit over-priced. Mesa (near Dobson - area codes 85202 and 85204) is nice, as is North Chandler.
Here is a web site where you can compare crime in the prospective town against the national average:
Apartments.com | Crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area