Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 PM

860 posts, read 2,718,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maseyjean View Post
[mod cut-- response to deleted post]

Hart4July: Currently I am looking at Scottsdale, Mesa and Tempe as my options. I am not sure about the job opportunities there and had not considered Phoenix because of the size of the population; there are still some things I am ironing out. I wanted a city not too big but has a good school district for my daughter. Schools are at the top of my list right along with finding a decent apartment which is supposedely hard to come by out there? I have been reading reviews and they are atrocious lol.
The schools we are attending here in Gilbert are thankfully far from atrocious,they are good, though there are some differences that what I was used to. I have only been here less than a year so I cannot say much more than search CD posts, greatschools,schooldigger etc. Its nice that you can use charter schools I guess but some are bad some are good and it seems the really good ones have long waiting lists.
Scottsdale I would reconsider as S Scottsdale (my hubby works there lots of wanna be party tourists) is not as nice for the cost and N Scottsdale is way expensive, but if you love it and have work that relies on hotels,spas, upscale retail you it may be good for you.

If I were a young single mom I would like Tempe, its pretty cool, Kyrene has very good schools not sure Tempe Union, they might be good. You could work at IKEA!!Or further your education,or work at one of the cool shops or restaurants on Mill Ave, Tempe-that would be my pick.

Mesa is SO big, there are far SE parts that feed Gilbert schools that are very affordable but distant, central Mesa maybe safety issues for a single mom . I love far NE Mesa Red Mountain area and we may be moving there,the schools are good supposedly, but its kind of away from things ,which we really want. Quiet and scenic, with golf+lots of retirees. Yep I am just settling in with the hubby raising 4 kids awaiting my 55+ leisure life in 13 years, can I be you??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 03:23 PM

27 posts, read 66,860 times
Yeah, the voucher stigma has hit me once with one private owner so far... which is sad, because I'm a quiet, clean, and respectful renter. The bad peeps really do mess it up for the rest of us. =/ But that's true of the entire disability system too... and totally a tangent I won't get into. Better things, better days. ^_^

Old 02-24-2011, 05:13 PM

156 posts, read 289,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
The schools we are attending here in Gilbert are thankfully far from atrocious,they are good, though there are some differences that what I was used to. I have only been here less than a year so I cannot say much more than search CD posts, greatschools,schooldigger etc. Its nice that you can use charter schools I guess but some are bad some are good and it seems the really good ones have long waiting lists.
Scottsdale I would reconsider as S Scottsdale (my hubby works there lots of wanna be party tourists) is not as nice for the cost and N Scottsdale is way expensive, but if you love it and have work that relies on hotels,spas, upscale retail you it may be good for you.

If I were a young single mom I would like Tempe, its pretty cool, Kyrene has very good schools not sure Tempe Union, they might be good. You could work at IKEA!!Or further your education,or work at one of the cool shops or restaurants on Mill Ave, Tempe-that would be my pick.

Mesa is SO big, there are far SE parts that feed Gilbert schools that are very affordable but distant, central Mesa maybe safety issues for a single mom . I love far NE Mesa Red Mountain area and we may be moving there,the schools are good supposedly, but its kind of away from things ,which we really want. Quiet and scenic, with golf+lots of retirees. Yep I am just settling in with the hubby raising 4 kids awaiting my 55+ leisure life in 13 years, can I be you??
I just sent you a DM before reading this post so you've already answered a couple of questions that I asked. I will definetely look more into Tempe and I've pretty much ruled out Scottsdale because of the costs. Ikea??? Heaven! I went to an Ikea while visiting Atlanta and fell in love. We do not have an Ikea here but we are avid Target shoppers lol. I am a grad student actually; I will be taking most of my courses online at Webster University although I'm taking as many courses as I can in the classroom at the moment; Webster has campuses worldwide but they only have a naval-based campus in AZ at the moment.

No, really, can I be you? I'd really love to fast-forward through all of this. I bet you're so glad you got this part over with. I need a nap already lol. Thanks for your input!

Old 02-24-2011, 05:17 PM

156 posts, read 289,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_shane View Post
Yeah, the voucher stigma has hit me once with one private owner so far... which is sad, because I'm a quiet, clean, and respectful renter. The bad peeps really do mess it up for the rest of us. =/ But that's true of the entire disability system too... and totally a tangent I won't get into. Better things, better days. ^_^

Yes it's very unfortunate; just stay positive and keep looking. Something will definetely come along and it will be a perfect fit for you. The Universe will always grant the deisres of your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area