Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,467 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm trying to decide between two nearly identical jobs in Pheonix and Michigan.

Weather is a big concern for me, I hate extreme cold temperatures and I hate extremely warm temperatures that cause you to sweat.

How many months of the year would you say Pheonix has a nice temperature?

Also, on those hot summer days, does the temperature cool down significantly in the evening or atleast at night, or does it stay really hot the whole day?

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:24 AM

1,551 posts, read 3,643,993 times
If you listen to many on here, it never cools off below 100 degrees for 8 or 9 months a year.
Here is a link for you to do your own research. The numbers don't lie.

History : Weather Underground

Old 02-22-2011, 06:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Like maverik said, you are going to get answers all over the map here which will be opinion and not fact. Research the actual numbers.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Take Michigan. When someone says they hate extreme warm temps, then it is time to forget about Phoenix (note spelling). It is extremely warm to those who don't like extremely warm from April to November. It is uncomfortably warm to those same people from March THROUGH November - meaning there are really only three months of the year that you will be happy here and then it is too cold.

I'm serious. Save yourself months to years of misery and take Phoenix off your list. One has to accept that it is hot here much of the year to have any hope of happiness in living here. Don't go rationalizing away reality. Don't ignore the posters who reply that say it is miserable. They think like you do. They hate extreme heat and they have not been able to adjust to it. Their regret will be your regrets if you come.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,563,434 times
How about this:

Phoenix Average Monthly Temperatures - Phoenix Weather by Month - Hottest and Coldest Days in Phoenix

What these graphs don't tell you is that it is tolerable at 110 degrees. At 35 degrees here I was so chilly I was wearing one of those puffy coats, but in Illinois at 35 degrees I wore a t-shirt and light sweater.

I've been in both States and Michigan, a beautiful State in summer for sure where you can see your toes in the lakes they are so clean, has alot of snow. This means rocking your car out of drifts often. Up for that?

Phoenix can get so hot that in the dead of summer you might find yourself hiding in the house alot.

Which can you deal with easier?

Old 02-22-2011, 08:21 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Your choice is between two extremes.

If you're near Detroit there is humidity in the summer which makes it seem hotter, and the snow and ice to contend with in the winter. I lived there for many years.

Other parts of the state are nice, but you still put up with the extreme winter weather.

In Phoenix it gets hot for 4 months. But we have good air conditioning

The rest of the year is great. And you don't have to shovel snow.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 AM

51 posts, read 118,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Your choice is between two extremes.

If you're near Detroit there is humidity in the summer which makes it seem hotter, and the snow and ice to contend with in the winter. I lived there for many years.

Other parts of the state are nice, but you still put up with the extreme winter weather.

In Phoenix it gets hot for 4 months. But we have good air conditioning

The rest of the year is great. And you don't have to shovel snow.
I agree.

I live in Metro Detroit and we kind of get both weather extremes here, and there are only about 4 months out of the year that the weather isn't too hot or cold (April, May, September, October). Last summer we had 95+ degree weather with 85%+ humidity. Currently our winter has been full of -5 windchills, sheets of ice, and storms (even "thundersnows"!) that leave us with 6+ inches of white.

There are a lot of people that like seeing all of the seasons...but if weather extremes aren't for you, then I'd pass on Michigan. You're going to get 100+ degrees in Phoenix, but only for a few months out of the year and it sure beats shoveling your way out of your neighborhood (or not being able to get out at all!).

Old 02-22-2011, 08:44 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 909,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Take Michigan. When someone says they hate extreme warm temps, then it is time to forget about Phoenix (note spelling). It is extremely warm to those who don't like extremely warm from April to November. It is uncomfortably warm to those same people from March THROUGH November - meaning there are really only three months of the year that you will be happy here and then it is too cold.

I'm serious. Save yourself months to years of misery and take Phoenix off your list. One has to accept that it is hot here much of the year to have any hope of happiness in living here. Don't go rationalizing away reality. Don't ignore the posters who reply that say it is miserable. They think like you do. They hate extreme heat and they have not been able to adjust to it. Their regret will be your regrets if you come.
How is a someone hating the heat any different from hating the cold...
You could basically apply the same timeframes to the cold in Michagan as the heat in Phoenix.

IMHO this person will be equally miserable in either place.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:55 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
How is a someone hating the heat any different from hating the cold...
You could basically apply the same timeframes to the cold in Michagan as the heat in Phoenix.

IMHO this person will be equally miserable in either place.
Could be. But I don't comment on pluses and minuses of living in Michigan. I'll leave that to the midwesterners who still have a memory of it. Also, I think most people can relate to cold having experienced winters in most of the US. AZ heat is beyond the pale. All "it's a dry heat" disclaimers aside, it is freakishly hot in AZ in summer. It is hotter than Michigan is cold if that makes sense. No one in the east can truly conceive of day after day, week after week of 110-ish temperatures. Our night time lows would be considered a killer heat wave in much of the country. Most of us here accept it, some even like it, but when you go in describing your attitude toward warm days as "hate" it is best to just stay away from Phoenix, I think.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:18 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
The OP should move to Hawaii. We lived in HI briefly until the farmers ran us back to the mainland. Anyway, it is by far the most perfect weather we have ever found. This winter here in AZ was a nippy one and I realized that I would rather power through a blistering summer than take another cold shower. Hate being cold so living in MI or Chicago would be out of the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area