Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:01 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,309,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
The Valley is not just the Salt River Valley, but the entire Phoenix metro area. Fountain Hills and Ahwatukee are examples of suburbs/neighborhoods that are technically outside of the Salt River Valley, but would still be considered "The Valley."
No one is saying that. They included the reference to orient the OP as to where the term "Valley" originated from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:02 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,344,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
That definition includes all cities in Pinal County including parts of Marana. I don't think any intelligent person would argue those particular areas in Marana are a part of the Phoenix metropolitan area simply because it's technically within Pinal County. Pinal County is fairly large and parts of cities like Apache Junction and Queen Creek are in both Maricopa and Pinal counties. I think any reasonable person can note the difference in proximity between cities like Apache Junction/Queen Creek and Casa Grande/Florence with regard to it's proximity to Phoenix. This is not a criticism of Casa Grande but to outsiders who are considering moving to Phoenix they should be aware that Casa Grande is not really a part of the Phoenix metro like the aforementioned cities on this forum.
Which is actually why I like it here. Far enough outside to not seem like it is just part of Phoenix, but yet as someone else earlier mentioned I can be in parts of Chandler/Ahwatukee or Gilbert (depending on the route taken) in 35 mins from my house, to the airport in 45 mins, and downtown in under an hour.

BUT, I am also close to the Tucson metro area so can enjoy the differences between PHX and TUC whenever I want.

Plus, since we are right on the I 8 also, the drive to San Diego is a breeze!

Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,309,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Which is actually why I like it here. Far enough outside to not seem like it is just part of Phoenix, but yet as someone else earlier mentioned I can be in parts of Chandler/Ahwatukee or Gilbert (depending on the route taken) in 35 mins from my house, to the airport in 45 mins, and downtown in under an hour.

BUT, I am also close to the Tucson metro area so can enjoy the differences between PHX and TUC whenever I want.

Plus, since we are right on the I 8 also, the drive to San Diego is a breeze!
I agree. I'm seeing the light with regard to Casa Grande. My group is considering establishing a practice there because there are not enough providers in that area and we get a lot of patients from CG. The area is growing like crazy. And it's really not that far from certain parts of the Valley. I'm closer to Casa Grande than I am to certain areas in the Valley. And I know a lot of people who prefer the tranquility of CG for the reasons you stated plus being fairly close to Tucson.

Nonetheless, I'm sure you agree that saying CG is not a part of the Valley is in no way criticizing it. It's just being informative to outsiders who might get the impression that CG is just another suburb of Phoenix like Chandler or Gilbert.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM

29 posts, read 55,768 times
Quote:
There is no development for miles before Case Grande so you can't call it a part of the Valley, it's not really adjoining to the other suburbs. As more development progresses south and ultimately joins Casa Grande, it will then become a part of the Valley but as of now it's not.
The only development you'll see through here is the expansion of the freeway to 6 lanes. That is all District's 3, 4 and 5 of the Gila River Reservation. Casa Grande and Maricopa are in the Gila River Valley

Old 02-24-2011, 04:59 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,090 times
Quote:
East Valley describes cities in the Eastern part of the Phoenix Metro such as Mesa, Gilbert, Chandler, Tempe and Scottsdale. The West Valley includes Glendale, Peoria, Avondale, Goodyear, Surprise, and Sun City.
The notion that Scottsdale is part of the "East Valley" is not universally held. Many consider the East Valley to be south of the Salt River, east of I-10. The newspaper divides the area into Phoenix, Scottsdale, East Valley and West Valley.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:59 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,521,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The notion that Scottsdale is part of the "East Valley" is not universally held. Many consider the East Valley to be south of the Salt River, east of I-10. The newspaper divides the area into Phoenix, Scottsdale, East Valley and West Valley.
I had never heard of one not considering Scottsdale as "east valley" until this post.

In my mind, Central Ave divides "east valley" and "west valley". I've always wondered why you never hear "north valley" or "south valley".....

Old 02-25-2011, 04:28 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,748,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I had never heard of one not considering Scottsdale as "east valley" until this post.

In my mind, Central Ave divides "east valley" and "west valley". I've always wondered why you never hear "north valley" or "south valley".....
Central divides things into east side and west side, for sure. But I have always heard East Valley referring to the Mesa-centric piece in the southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area