Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 AM

99 posts, read 259,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
This. I got nailed by a scorpion in my garage a few weeks ago and it was definitely not pleasant. But I figured he and his buddies were here long before I got here and they will be here after I'm gone. A neighbor found a snake in her garage last week. It was curled up all nice and snug behind the water heater having a snooze. Sensible fellow.
We found a snake in our backyard too. Good thing it was winter, because during the other 8 months of the year when it's hot, we know the snake would have been very active and fiesty. I don't have a problem picking up snakes and moving them, but I know many others who do not like it.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:06 PM

523 posts, read 938,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
We found a snake in our backyard too. Good thing it was winter, because during the other 8 months of the year when it's hot, we know the snake would have been very active and fiesty. I don't have a problem picking up snakes and moving them, but I know many others who do not like it.
It is a serious thing anyone needs to consider, how they feel about seeing and being around snakes, scorpions, and other creatures of the desert. It's frustrating how they are usually where you don't expect them.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:11 AM

295 posts, read 553,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Yes, you will see snakes. Rattlers, Bull, Red Racers, etc. Will you eventually find one in your tack room? Yes!

They live here. You learn to keep an eye out for them. If you are a horse person, you would know that snakes do not like horses (and vice versa), so they will be less of a problem around your horses. But if you have dogs, it could be a problem. Dogs are naturally curious and often stick there nose where they should not.

I see dozens of snakes every year and have even had to dispose of a few. If you do not want to be around snakes, scorpions, pack rats, bobcats, coyotes, javelina, owls, vultures, do not move out to the desert.
This is a pretty good overview. I would add that this happens throughout the Phoenix area, whether on the outskirts or in the most citified sections. It is also very important to keep an eye out for your dog to prevent an expensive trip to the vet, or even worse.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
This is a pretty good overview. I would add that this happens throughout the Phoenix area, whether on the outskirts or in the most citified sections. It is also very important to keep an eye out for your dog to prevent an expensive trip to the vet, or even worse.
People do need to look out for their pets. However it is even more important to look after children. They may be curious, or end up chasing after a ball and end up sticking their hands in the wrong place.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:31 PM

295 posts, read 553,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
People do need to look out for their pets. However it is even more important to look after children. They may be curious, or end up chasing after a ball and end up sticking their hands in the wrong place.
You are right, I should have said this first. Children are the most obvious risk (and importance) for getting hurt by snakes, scorpions, etc. It's that sometimes people just don't pay attention to their animals nearly as much as they should too.

Old 02-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
It is a serious thing anyone needs to consider, how they feel about seeing and being around snakes, scorpions, and other creatures of the desert. It's frustrating how they are usually where you don't expect them.
There's a big problem in many areas, with the number of bites which took place as recorded by hospitals last year. Hopefully more people get educated and learn how to pick up or move snakes on their own. It can get expensive to have to pay the fire department every time.

Old 02-27-2011, 02:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,170,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixAirConcerns View Post
This is just preposterous. I've lived in Phoenix for many years and have never experienced anything of the sort. Yes, if you live in the hills or on the outskirts of the urban area, you have more chance of encountering wildlife, but the vast majority of Phoenix metro residents will never have an occasion to interact in any way whatsoever with snakes, javelinas, and other desert wildlife. These hysterical "sky is falling" stories are getting a bit worn out...

Old 02-27-2011, 02:34 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,170,744 times
Quote:
There's a big problem in many areas, with the number of bites which took place as recorded by hospitals last year. Hopefully more people get educated and learn how to pick up or move snakes on their own. It can get expensive to have to pay the fire department every time.
Yet another broad generalization with hysterical overtones. I don't know that any of my neighbors have had to pick up or move snakes, nor "pay the fire department" to do so. I know I have never had occasion to do so. Exactly how widespread is this "snake epidemic?"

Old 02-27-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I have read some of the varying comments, and it is important to be cautious. Hopefully everyone can learn a lesson from others when it comes to the hazards of living in the desert.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I have read some of the varying comments, and it is important to be cautious. Hopefully everyone can learn a lesson from others when it comes to the hazards of living in the desert.
Not a problem. I have read some of what Kimballete has said, but I am just sharing my experience and the experience of those around me. Education is an important step for this process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area