Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:57 AM

29 posts, read 75,065 times

Advertisements

We are looking at horse properties on the outlying areas of town, with particular interest in the northern and western edges. The ones we're looking at are primarily right on the edge of the desert. What's the snake situation in that part of town?

No offense, but don't give me the "you're more likely to win the lottery than see a snake" line - I lived in central Phoenix for over 35 years and I've seen rattlesnakes in the metro area, most recently at Shaw Butte, where I was hiking frequently for a while. Where I live now (in New Mexico), I see some sort of snake pretty much daily in the warm months, with more than a few rattlesnake sightings each season, so I'm not going to melt if I see one. I just want to know from locals how often rattlesnakes are spotted and how likely it is that I'm going to find one in the tack room or step on one walking around the house. (The answer to that question here: not terribly unlikely, so watch where you put your hands and feet.)

I suppose the scorpion factor would be good to know also - we have potentially dangerous centipedes, but no scorpions here that I've ever seen.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:17 AM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMAZ View Post
We are looking at horse properties on the outlying areas of town, with particular interest in the northern and western edges. The ones we're looking at are primarily right on the edge of the desert. What's the snake situation in that part of town?

No offense, but don't give me the "you're more likely to win the lottery than see a snake" line - I lived in central Phoenix for over 35 years and I've seen rattlesnakes in the metro area, most recently at Shaw Butte, where I was hiking frequently for a while. Where I live now (in New Mexico), I see some sort of snake pretty much daily in the warm months, with more than a few rattlesnake sightings each season, so I'm not going to melt if I see one. I just want to know from locals how often rattlesnakes are spotted and how likely it is that I'm going to find one in the tack room or step on one walking around the house. (The answer to that question here: not terribly unlikely, so watch where you put your hands and feet.)

I suppose the scorpion factor would be good to know also - we have potentially dangerous centipedes, but no scorpions here that I've ever seen.
Seems like you already answered your own question with the only answer you are willing to accept. I don't get why you bothered to post.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 AM

523 posts, read 937,112 times
The farther out of central Phoenix you go, generally the more likely you are to encounter snakes around the house or in the backyard. There isn't a lot you can do to prevent this. You will need to be able to move the snake yourself, or pay the $100 bill to have someone come pick it up for you.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:42 AM

49 posts, read 159,290 times
In 2 years I have never seen a snake in LP except at World Wildlife Zoo. Just my experience though!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Yes, you will see snakes. Rattlers, Bull, Red Racers, etc. Will you eventually find one in your tack room? Yes!

They live here. You learn to keep an eye out for them. If you are a horse person, you would know that snakes do not like horses (and vice versa), so they will be less of a problem around your horses. But if you have dogs, it could be a problem. Dogs are naturally curious and often stick there nose where they should not.

I see dozens of snakes every year and have even had to dispose of a few. If you do not want to be around snakes, scorpions, pack rats, bobcats, coyotes, javelina, owls, vultures, do not move out to the desert.

Last edited by AZJoeD; 02-24-2011 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: speling

Old 02-24-2011, 10:08 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
I would think that you being an animal person would be able to conclude that just having the animals along with their feed/grain would attract mice which would attract snakes. Walk softly and carry a big stick.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Yes, you will see snakes. Rattlers, Bull, Red Racers, etc. Will you eventually find one in your tack room? Yes!

They live here. You learn to keep an eye out for them. If you are a horse person, you would know that snakes do not like horses (and vice versa), so they will be less of a problem around your horses. But if you have dogs, it could be a problem. Dogs are naturally curious and often stick there nose where they should not.

I see dozens of snakes every year and have even had to dispose of a few. If you do not want to be around snakes, scorpions, pack rats, bobcats, coyotes, javelina, owls, vultures, do not move out to the desert.
This. I got nailed by a scorpion in my garage a few weeks ago and it was definitely not pleasant. But I figured he and his buddies were here long before I got here and they will be here after I'm gone. A neighbor found a snake in her garage last week. It was curled up all nice and snug behind the water heater having a snooze. Sensible fellow.

The owls hoot and the coyotes howl and sometimes they wake me up. I don't much mind. In fact I kind of enjoy hearing them talking things over. I could live in, I don't know, Trenton or Hoboken and not have to be worried about such things. But I sure as heck have no interest in that.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 PM

523 posts, read 937,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post

Good post. I have also heard of snakes and horses trying to steer clear of each other. One problem though is slow walking through the bush. Rattlesnakes generally try to steer clear, but I have seen them snap at horses.

As far as living in the area, it is true that one needs to become accustom to all of the things you mentioned.

Old 02-25-2011, 02:29 PM

29 posts, read 75,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Seems like you already answered your own question with the only answer you are willing to accept. I don't get why you bothered to post.
Um ... very simple. I'd like to know how commonly people who live in these areas encounter snakes, particularly rattlesnakes. Where I live now, you don't walk around the perimeter of the house on a summer day without looking down in front of you. But just this last weekend, while looking at houses in north Phoenix on the edge of the desert, I just had a conversation with a resident of the area who said he'd been there for years and not seen a snake in this particular area. I wanted to see if that was a typical experience.

We're moving anyway and I have done my share of dealing with rattlesnakes if we do find them near our new house, but if they are less common there than what I'm used to here, then it's just an extra bonus of moving back to Phoenix.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:12 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
In the 10 years I have lived in Arizona I have not seen one snake outside of the zoos or runover dead on the road. That does not mean they are not there and one should not be careful and educated on the subject, because snakes are around and one should take precautions. However, whether you see one or not is more the luck of the draw than anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area