Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,028,963 times

Advertisements

Does anyone work in HVAC? I'm thinking about learning a trade and thought this might be a good one. There's an open house at a refrigeration school in Phoenix tomorrow morning/afternoon that I'll scope out for info. A guy at work tells me the field is oversaturated with workers and not enough jobs. I was curious if anyone can give me any info on the field and the prospects of actually landing a job. I would hate to pay for training and end up like many EMT's...no chance of finding work.

Here's a link to the school with open house info for anyone that might be interested.

HVAC and Refrigeration Training School in Phoenix, AZ |The Refrigeration School Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,797,157 times
You're friend was correct. If you go to Mainstream Engineering, they have a free course for you to get your refrigerant handlers card, as well as a certificate in A/C maintenance. The companies around here will use you for a few months and get rid of you. 10 per hour. Obviously there is a huge need for it, but the systems require less maintenance now. Might be smarter than DeVry or U of P, and the other student loan mills. Sorry for the negativity, but it's true.

Let me see about the mainstream link: EPA Certification by Mainstream Engineering

You can get some cool logos for your shirts that will look good in a redneck bar, and even a magnet for your car door.

Old 02-26-2011, 03:58 AM

214 posts, read 403,873 times
I thought there was a great need for experienced HVAC technicians in the PHX area, so I'm a little confused. Is the field really saturated with techs? Are there only seasonal (not permanent) openings in this field in the greater PHX area? Husband has over 12 years of experience working on almost everything HVAC. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:30 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,028,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
You're friend was correct. If you go to Mainstream Engineering, they have a free course for you to get your refrigerant handlers card, as well as a certificate in A/C maintenance. The companies around here will use you for a few months and get rid of you. 10 per hour. Obviously there is a huge need for it, but the systems require less maintenance now. Might be smarter than DeVry or U of P, and the other student loan mills. Sorry for the negativity, but it's true.

Let me see about the mainstream link: EPA Certification by Mainstream Engineering

You can get some cool logos for your shirts that will look good in a redneck bar, and even a magnet for your car door.
Thanks for the input. I'm about to head over to the open house. It won't hurt to get some info.

Last month I went back to school for the first time in 7-8 years and I'm already having a few regrets about it. I'm not far from finishing the Associates program I ditched years ago for work but I don't know what use it will really do on top of the fact that I'd still have 2 years of school ahead to complete a degree. That's time and money I don't really have plus I have no clue what might want a degree in. I'm pushing 30 and need to find something quick. It's sink or swim out there right now and I'm starting to sink. I want to be a swimmer! Thought the trade route might be good. I approach HVAC with caution.

Old 02-27-2011, 12:08 AM

710 posts, read 3,398,213 times
Good luck to you. Good HVAC guys out here are tough to find. It's an industry where base pricing is hidden from consumers by way of supply houses, and seems to attract less than honest techs. I hate that. Most installs are garbage.

Could be i've just had poor luck

Old 02-27-2011, 08:57 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,744,106 times
I would say that someone who is honest & capable of running his own business could do quite well in HVAC in the valley - if you're working for someone else, you'll get nothing but scraps. The gross margins on HVAC parts are excellent, and as a consumer, getting around the supply house "cartel" is quite a feat, since the depot and lowes haven't stepped into that market with any authority yet.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:14 AM

214 posts, read 403,873 times
So there are jobs out there for mature, reliable and experienced HVAC technicians? I'm talking about with larger companies, not self-employed. $10 an hour for an honest and experienced HVAC mechanic is a slap in the face. Anyone can replace parts/units, but not everyone can diagnose and fix almost any brand that isn't fubar. My husband can. Feedback?

Old 03-10-2011, 07:56 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,744,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeEveryone View Post
So there are jobs out there for mature, reliable and experienced HVAC technicians? I'm talking about with larger companies, not self-employed. $10 an hour for an honest and experienced HVAC mechanic is a slap in the face. Anyone can replace parts/units, but not everyone can diagnose and fix almost any brand that isn't fubar. My husband can. Feedback?
The hvac companies make more money with inexperienced techs that can stretch a 15 minute repair into 3 (billable) hours & replace multiple components instead of just the bad one. It is what it is... incompetence = profit.

$10/hr seems low for a real professional but if that's what they're offering, it's no wonder the "hacks" rule the roost.

If your hubby can read a schematic & follow a service manual, perhaps it's time to look at transferring those skills to another trade - i.e. appliance repair, industrial automation service, even automotive service.

Very few people can actually follow a schematic & reconcile what they see on a schematic into what is actually built. It's valuable knowledge, even if at this point in time, his chosen trade doesn't value it.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:06 AM

537 posts, read 1,549,769 times
A neighbor called me in tears about a year ago because she had a service tech from Ace there, and he wanted to put a hard start on the compressor. He wanted $300. for this part. He wanted her to buy a service contract for $500. and the hard start would be free. I went round and round with the tech and he left in a huff. I told the neighbor to call Carrier. If she had put the hard start on her almost brand new unit, it would have voided the warranty. It turns out that the service techs work on a commission and sell all the stuff they can to unknowing customers. I see that this company does a lot of advertising on channel 3's web page.

Old 03-10-2011, 12:23 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,797,157 times
Air Conditioner Wholesale-Distributors
This place ships nationwide. Might even be worth the drive to Van Nuys, If you had a small pu truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area