Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 04:24 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,788,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag03 View Post
I'm from Oregon and have narrowed it down to Gilbert or Scottsdale as well. My questions are about snakes and critters. I understand they come with the territory but how often do you see snakes, scorpions, and the other "dangerous" critters. Is there a difference in the two cities or is more based on proximity to the open desert? Also which city is closer to sports entertainment like Suns, Cardinals, Diamondbacks ect?
Several of the comments in this post have answered your question regarding the difference in Scottsdale and Gilbert.

Regarding snakes, I have never seen one since I've been here, and I live in Gilbert. I've seen one scorpion at my house in 6 years.

Scorpions eat crickets and other little critters. People spray the perimeter of the houses to kill the scorpion food source and that's how we can control the scorpion population.

Scottsdale would be a little closer to most of the game locations. The home prices in Scottsdale are higher.

What many people take into consideration is the proximity of their home to their work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 06:40 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,578,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I live in Chandler and am considering moving to Gilbert, Paradise Valley or remaining in Chandler. I love Scottsdale but I feel like I can always drive to Scottsdale to enjoy it's ammenities and it's not that far from us (20-30 minute drive).
I highlighted Paradise Valley because I guess I'm confused. Gilbert and Chandler are similar, but Paradise Valley is kind of the odd one out in this equation.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 AM

18 posts, read 111,705 times
Default AZ to naperville

Wow. We are a family relocating from Scottsdale to Naperville!!! Maybe we can exchange some tips and ideas!! Planning to move this summer. We own a house here in Scottsdale, at Mc Cormick Ranch. We will either sell or rent it. AWhere in Naperville do you live?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,953 times
Default Rentals in Val Vista Lakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Power Ranch is a nice family community in the south east corner of Gilbert. It has a community club house for meetings, a small catch and fish lake, a play area, swimming pool, and several acres of park for soccer, or other games and space to fly model planes.

My daughter lived there for awhile and then moved up to a larger home in another area. They liked the elementary school.

The grandkids did not like Higley High. After they moved, they enrolled in Desert Ridge HS and love that school.

You'll find rentals in Val Vista Lakes at times. VVL is in the Highland HS district and just south of Guadalupe Rd and east of Val Vista Dr is the Gilbert HS district. Both have good reputations. There are a lot of good communities around there.

Captain Bill,

We are going to be renting in Gilbert until we find a house, but I too am noticing that there are not many rentals in Val Vista Lakes. Is this always the case? We are looking for atleast a 2 bedroom since we only have one child.

Any suggestions?

-John

Old 03-08-2011, 04:33 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,788,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhillcountry View Post
Captain Bill,

We are going to be renting in Gilbert until we find a house, but I too am noticing that there are not many rentals in Val Vista Lakes. Is this always the case? We are looking for atleast a 2 bedroom since we only have one child.

Any suggestions?

-John
Sometimes there are more rentals in Val Vista Lakes, but right now there are only a couple. I have a 3 br rental unit in El Dorado Lakes, a golf community (not on the golf course). It was leased to one family for two years, and they have relocated so I'm putting it back on the market. Don't know if it will fit your needs but you can contact me if you want to check it out before it goes on the MLS.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:56 AM

8 posts, read 15,628 times
We too are looking to move to the Gilbert area at some point. We want to rent before we buy, but we have 3 boxer dogs. I can't find anything that will let me have the 3 dogs. I can't see renting a house because it would cost just as much, if not more, what my mortgage would be if I bought. Any suggestions?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,060,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswisher67 View Post

My concern about Gilbert is recreational opportunities. Am I going to be driving quite a ways to get to anything fun (hiking, biking, parks, etc)?
The whole Phoenix metropolitan area is in a valley (Valley of the Sun) so there is lots of hiking opportunities around - just a short drive away. Here you can see some of the regional parks within Maricopa County.

Gilbert also has some very nice parks. Freestone park is huge, with baseball and soccer fields, batting cages, a skate park, volley ball, basketball, playgrounds, picnic ramadas, small carnival area with a train that takes you around the lakes. They also hold free concerts once a month (in nice weather) in the amphitheater area.

Gilbert also has Cosmo's Dog park. This park has won national awards. It has a pond that dogs can cool off in, and practice their retrieving, an agility area with some equipment, and a timid dog area.

Another great place that not many people know about, is the Riparian Preserve. Here, you can enjoy a stroll around the grounds and learn about birds and plants. There is an observatory that is open on the weekends, to learn about the planets and stars. Next door is the Southeast Regional Library that has a lake, so you can even do some urban fishing.

As far as bking, one great and safe way to explore the valley, is riding along the canals. Gilbert just completed an $18,000,000 project that enhanced the canals with paved areas, landscaping, water fountains, etc. You can also click here, for a link that will take you to a map of all of the canals. You can plug in routes that will calculate the distance.

You mentioned that the recreation opportunities were a concern for you. You don't need to worry!

Gilbert was also recently ranked the 17th safest place in the nation, and THE safest place in the state.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:10 AM

22 posts, read 98,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
You mentioned that the recreation opportunities were a concern for you. You don't need to worry!
That's great information. Thank you. The two links you provided were interesting as well.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:37 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bswisher67 View Post
Not exactly helpful information you have provided. Every city across the country has "cookie-cutter" houses. Who cares. Every city also has all of the same big-chain shopping stores. Big deal. Every city is basically the same, except for that intangible quality that makes it special in it's own little way. That's the information I'm looking for and the other posters in this thread have done a magnificent job of conveying that information to me. They did so respectfully and without sarcasm. I'm looking for a home to spend the rest of my life in, and I appreciate how serious most of the posters in this thread have taken this. Thank you.
Several posters on this forum think AZ is the only place where new homes all look similar, where lot sizes are shrinking and where chain outlets have replaced the moms and pops. You are correct that the US has become boringly homogeneous and that one has to look to find the subtle differences. The Scottsdale cachet is wealth and the things it buys. Gilbert projects itself as a family-oriented city.

Old 03-09-2011, 09:29 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,092 times
Both Scottsdale and Gilbert are large-sized suburbs, both have about the same population.

Gilbert is the more suburban of the two, family-friendly, chain stores, and newer housing developments.

Scottsdale is superficial and more like an urban-desert version of South Beach, especially northern parts and the old town area. Good nightlife and club atmosphere if you're into that kind of scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area