Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,285 times

Advertisements

Hello, like many folks, I am considering a move to the Phoenix/Tempe area. I am VERY early in my research and am currently looking for work (I won't move without a job).

I am looking for opinions (as objective as possible) on which schools/school systems in the Phoenix and surronding areas (within 50 miles or so) you feel are top rated AND why (don't forget the why).

I have a 5th and a 1st grader (boy and girl respectively) so I will be looking for both an outstanding middle and elementary school that feeds into an even better HS.

Both children are high achievers in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) as well as English/Lang Arts. I would like a school that has a language program to teach them Spanish (this doesn't seem to be a priority in Frederick County MD where we currently live but it is of high priority to me).

Both are also active in sports--gymnastics, soccer--and other extra-curricular activities like school plays, music lessons (guitar), and they absolutely LOVE being outdoors doing nature-related activities--learning about the environment, animals, any body of water, hiking, biking, etc.

I know I won't have a problem finding/supplying the outdoor/sports related stuff but I am really concerned about finding a school that will challenge their intellect and help me keep them encouraged to learn new things.

I am active in the PTA as much as working single mom can be. I keep an open dialogue with teachers and I expect the same from them. I can be annoying--I know this. But it is because my children are used to the good life and as we all know, things have drastically changed--it takes WAY more to have the basics and it cannot be done without a solid education that includes a bachelors and by then, a masters and several certifications (I know this since I am frantically trying to complete my maters and get even more certs than I already have and I'm still broke! ugh!) Thus--I need to do all I can to help the continue the path of academic achievement.

Anyhow, if you work for the school system or have strong knowledge or if you are a parent with children and similar concerns, your opinions are most appreciated. And as bonus, if you can speak to the before/after school programs you have experience with, I'll take that info too.

Realtors...hmmm...ok. But please--I'm not in the position to buy because my current house is underwater and I have some serious financial clean up to do before I even think about buying. I am not yet a good prospect for you and do not want to waste either of our time. Plus, I only use those in my trusted network. Just being honest...

Again, I am in the BEGINNING stages so please no comments about getting a job first--I just need the benefit of your general knowledge and opinions about the area schools.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU in advance for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:54 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Kyrene Elementary... covers south Tempe, the southeast Phoenix area (Ahwatukee, Foothills, Mountain Park Ranch) and a part of Chandler. Nice parts of the Valley to live in, so keep it on your list. Good luck!

http://www.kyrene.org/aboutksd/departments/Document%20links/District%20Map_Boundaries_10-11.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-03-2011, 03:21 PM

9 posts, read 18,035 times
I can second Kyrene... They've been great so far!

Old 03-03-2011, 04:22 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,520,818 times
Best Schools in Phoenix - Find a Good School in Maricopa County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area