Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:53 PM

3 posts, read 17,647 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (and 3 young children) are hoping to relocate to the Tempe area (from CT). He is taking the tests for the Tempe PD and we would like to live a short distance away from there. I have been researching schools and like the Kyrene school district. But can anyone tell me pros/cons of living in Phoenix (Ahwatukee) vs the part of Tempe which is in Kyrene's boundaries? When searching for homes in my favored schools in Kyrene (in the price range of up to $450,000) more of them are Phoenix. Does that mean Tempe is pricier? Or are there just more homes available in Phoenix? Also, when you buy a house out there is it usually the listed price or close to it, or can you offer a lesser amount and counter with the seller? I know that in some areas that sellers are too insulted to respond to offers that are more than a few % lower than askng price. Woild love to hear any experiences about that. Any other info on Kyrene schools or Tempe PD would be great too.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Ahwatukee (Phoenix) is the better (more upscale) area.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:15 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,165,894 times
I'm thinking that when you are pulling up homes in your range that there are more in Ahwatukee because the homes in Tempe don't go up that high? I'm not too sure though. When I did real estate I never looked at homes in Tempe. Or there are just more homes as a whole in Ahwatukee.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:14 PM

202 posts, read 981,288 times
Kyrene School District has most of it's schools in Ahwatukee.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:05 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Some of the neighborhoods in south Tempe, like Warner's Ranch, have homes approaching $1 million. There are nice, 1990s era neighborhoods with bigger-than-average size homes, such as "The Oasis at Anozira" where you won't find anything for less than the upper 500's. South Tempe, south of Guadalupe Rd, which is where the Kyrene elementary district begins, is considered a really desirable area-- which is reflected in real estate prices. Southern Tempe, the western strip of Chandler (also in the same district, BTW, and you haven't mentioned that yet), and the parts of Ahwatukee (city of Phoenix) closer to I-10 are all basically the same thing.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:15 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
When you choose a realtor to help you locate a home, just give him/her all of your requirements including the maximum driving distance to work, etc.

That agent will pull up all the homes in several areas that meet your requiremens.

What I do with relocation clients is help them locate the area first and then zero in on finding the house. It takes a little bit of time to look at the areas to determine which is the most suitable for their needs. But once the area is determined, searching for the right house becomes an easier project.

Here are some of the schools in Ahwatukee in the Kyrene District. I have a School District Atlas that's very detailed, but not easy to understand. The list below came from the internet.

Kyrene School District Ahwatukee Elementary Schools

Brisas, Cerritos, Cielo, Colina, Esperanza, Estrella, Horizon, Lagos, Lomas, Manitas, Mariposa, Milenio, Mirada, Monte Vista, Ninos, Norte, Paloma, Sierra, Sureno, St John Bosco, Waggoner.
Ahwatukee Middle Schools

Akimel A-al, Altadena, Aprende, Centennial, Horizon, Kyrene, Pueblo.
Ahwatukee High Schools

Mountain Point High School, Desert Vista High School, Horizona Community Learning Center

Not all of the names above agree with my atlas, but it's a start for you.

Bill

Old 10-27-2007, 09:27 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Some of the neighborhoods in south Tempe, like Warner's Ranch, have homes approaching $1 million. There are nice, 1990s era neighborhoods with bigger-than-average size homes, such as "The Oasis at Anozira" where you won't find anything for less than the upper 500's. South Tempe, south of Guadalupe Rd, which is where the Kyrene elementary district begins, is considered a really desirable area-- which is reflected in real estate prices. Southern Tempe, the western strip of Chandler (also in the same district, BTW, and you haven't mentioned that yet), and the parts of Ahwatukee (city of Phoenix) closer to I-10 are all basically the same thing.
Agree...........................................

Old 10-29-2007, 02:48 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
I'm in the Kyrene district and I live in Chandler on the border of Awatukee. I'm only 5 min. to the Tempe border. There all very close together. You can't really tell the difference unless you go into North Tempe (college area). The kyrene schools are very good at getting good test scores. Make sure your children make the grade. They have little help for any kids struggling in a subject and will suggest you transfer to a charter school. They don't want you to effect there scores. Schools get grades on there test scores so they don't want you to lower there good one. Just make sure your kids keep up on their work, and study, etc. If they are doing well you'll love Kyrene schools. Before my oldest daughter was diagnosed with dyslexia this happened to us. She was a grade level behind in math. I inquired about some after school help but the principle just suggested the transfer to a charter school. She said they didn't offer help like that. Now she has caught up and actually made the honor role but not at a kyrene school. My other 2 do well. My 4 yr. old is highly gifted and the school has already had him meet the gifted teacher at the school in preparation for next year. I hear stories from the mothers about this happening to them as well. If a school does well on tests, they do well on weeding out the kids who don't stay up to par. It has nothing to do with what or how they are teaching them. This is unfortunate I know but grading schools every year doesn't give them much room to help struggling kids, not enough time. One year as a failed school and there done for.
This is life, just make sure they learn at home after school when needed. Or get a tutor if they are having trouble in a certain subject. I like the area though, especially with the new mall, a lot more to do now. No child is left behind, just moved over a little., lol Schools and business don't really mix well. Just be prepared so your not offended. I told my daughter, then in 4th grade, that you have to work the system to your advantage instead of losing time being taken back by it. She did just that and is now a happy 9th grader. I just want people to be prepared for it, I was a little shocked by it. I tend to like illusions like hospitals and schools really care about children's well being. But the old saying is true for them as well. You can't take care of others unless you take care of yourself first. The teachers are very nice though, I think they care. It's not a business as much to them.
By the way, I'm not sure if the schools in CT are the same as out here. Texas and AZ were test grounds for charter schools and grading schools. I don't know if everyone does this yet or not.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 PM

6 posts, read 36,353 times
I wish this parent a lot of luck.

Last edited by bloglover; 03-27-2008 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: No need to hurt anyone's feelings. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 AM

7 posts, read 24,415 times
Both of my children go to Kyrene elementary schools (one in third grade, the other in preschool) and we have been extremely happy with the schools and the district. We are in Ahwatukee but I believe all the Kyrene schools (both east and west of I-10) are quality schools with only one or two rated "highly performing" vs. "excelling" (the highest rating). Many of the elementary schools have open enrollment however and that is not appealing to many parents. I recently read that almost half of the students at both Lagos and Milenio live in Maricopa and are bussed in. The schools with the highest test scores tend to be the one back in the foothills area (Sierra and Cerritos). As with any school, the more parent involved and money involved, the better the test scores.

Mountain Pointe H.S and Desert Vista H.S. are both in the Tempe Union High School District and Horizon Learning Center (Preschool through 12) is a charter school in Ahwatukee that consistently has high test scores and turns out a high percentage of college bound seniors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area