Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 12:02 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,017,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
Same as carrying it any other place - protection. Watch the news. Read the papers. Convenience stores get robbed sometimes.
Yes, they do, and by people who have guns.

Quote:
This is the United States. You can call your state Senator or rep and voice your concern. Get a group together and start a petition. As long as your law isn't in conflict with the 2nd Amendment then all is well.
No point. Any state that allows someone to carry a gun into a bar is beyond hope.

Quote:
I've been working around the house all morning. When I got to Lowes later, I'm going to look like a mess as well. Glad to see you are making snap judgments on appearance. Would if make a difference if I took a shower and drove my wife's Lexus to the store and I still carried my pistol?
Yeah, it would.

Quote:
Crime is not limited to homes and cars. I carry when I wear pants with a belt. I was carrying on my first trip to Lowes for supplies. I am carrying now while eating lunch in my kitchen. I did not carry last night while attending a college basketball game because it is clearly stated in the law that concealed weapons are forbidden at those types of events.
Isn't it uncomfortable to eat lunch with a gun in your pocket? Why don't you just go lock your doors like I do?

Quote:
Where you see "nuts", I see a freedom loving state that treats its adults like adults and doesn't nanny them.

Quote:
I'll help with your research. The light blue states have similar laws as AZ so you will want to avoid them or you may be frightened there as well. Handgunlaw.us
Well, thanks, but I don't know of any state as gun happy as this state.

Quote:
Explain to me why he should not be allowed to do this. He has broken no laws. While exercising his 2nd Amendment and state freedoms he has not infringed upon your rights one bit. Freedom does not mean being free from fear. Freedom is scary in that you have to trust your fellow man until they do something illegal or infringe on your freedom.
Because any nut could have grabbed it out of his pocket and killed ME.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:03 PM

190 posts, read 619,865 times
I can understand some people being "concerned" around someone carrying a handgun irresponsibly. Most responsible, law abiding gun carriers will carry their firearms properly (Holstered and secure). I personally would not be intimidated (but, I also would have been armed and at a sufficient distance where I would be safe).

Old 03-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
I can understand some people being "concerned" around someone carrying a handgun irresponsibly. Most responsible, law abiding gun carriers will carry their firearms properly (Holstered and secure). I personally would not be intimidated (but, I also would have been armed and at a sufficient distance where I would be safe).
Well, #1, I don't own a gun and never have so I would not be able to defend myself.

#2, it looked like it was going to fall out of his pocket. What if the safety were not on?

Nope, no reason for it. And I bolded that statement of yours for a reason.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,408,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Well, there is a reason I get on well with Europeans and I should be one of them.

There is still no reason to have a gun hanging loosely out of your pocket when in a convenience store. It could have been left in the car. Clearly, no one was in the process of robbing that store and I've been in that store a gazillion times and would know had it ever been robbed. We're talking a super pumper - a gas station convenience store at 10 a.m.

Like I said, I support 2nd amendment rights but I am quite sure the idea wasn't to walk into a convenience store with a gun hanging loosely in your pocket where anyone could grab it and start a shooting. The idea was to protect yourself from harm and the possibility of a tyrannical gov't.
Did you know some call that type of store a "stop and rob"??

Old 03-05-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
You must have been sleeping during the recent Tucson shooting. Had someone been carrying a gun in Safeway maybe he would not have shot as many people. I carry a gun and it's simply for my and my families protection. Mine is concealed and you would never know I had it.

If you were standing in line in that convenience store as it was being robbed and they started shooting people you be very thankful if I was in line behind you with my gun to stop them before they shot you or I.

I have hundreds of hours of combat handgun training and am rated as a Handgun Master so I'm very confident my abilities are better than any thug that may be committing a crime with a gun.

Are you sure you want me to leave my gun in the car when I go into the same convenience store that you are in?
Yes, quite sure, as you are in the minority. And there was someone carrying a gun in the Safeway incident who almost shot the wrong person (or could have) if I remember correctly.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Did you know some call that type of store a "stop and rob"??
Trust me, I'll take my chances. I do not like seeing guns that can fall out of pockets with no safety on (possibly).

Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
That could have been more dangerous than being in line with a man and a gun you could see!!!
Call me crazy, but I trust the wits of a 50 something far more than some kid who is 18. And how old was that shooter in Tucson by the way?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_ View Post
You don't, had I been there and thought him dangerous I would have waited in the shopping isles and not right behind him in line. Situational awareness is important. If you are not nearby the potential source of danger you have a means to avoid it and/or more time to react to it.
In theory you are right. But what about Columbine and Virginia Tech and Tucson Safeway?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:31 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,015,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
I can see having a gun at home or in your car, but that is as far as it goes. This state is nuts! Honestly. It's enough to make me seriously consider risking no health insurance for six months just to move to civilization.
You wouldn't be saying this if some guy went into this store and tried to rob or kill you and this kid came along and saved the day. The right to be safe does not end in one's home or automobile.

This is civilization. A free civilization where people make choices. Your desire to feel safe does not usurp my right to be safe.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 PM

39,122 posts, read 51,371,476 times
The purpose of carrying a gun anywhere is to kill someone with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area