Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 11:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times

Advertisements

This is the first time I felt like downtown Phoenix was downtown Phoenix. Now don't get me wrong, it's still a work in progress and a lot of it has yet to be developed but I like what I'm seeing. When the economy improves, this area will develop into something really nice.

PROS
1. Some nicel stores and restaurants - Urban Outfitters, upcoming Tilted Kilt, the Arrogant Butcher, some trendy torta/taco eatery, trendy Grocery Store, a bowling alley etc.

2. Location - now when you go to a Suns or Diamondbacks game, there are nice little places you can eat at aside from bar food

3. Cosmetic appeal, the two story structure adds some depth and adds more of an urban feel to the area

CONS
1. Some very ordinary places (CVS Pharmacy, 5 Guys Fast Food) Although it's a very nice place, the trend looks as if they are going to put up a Dollar General and a Subway next.

2. Some retailers have pulled out. A second La Grande Orange was supposed to go in and they pulled out due to the economy.

3. You question the timeline of the completion of some of these places. You get the odd feeling that some of this may go undeveloped and be an eye sore.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,954,726 times
Where did you hear La Grande Orange pulled out due to the economy? I know they pulled out, but where did you find the info of why?

And which places gave you the impression that they will never be completed?

Old 04-02-2011, 02:40 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
I posted some of my experiences with CityScape a few months ago:
//www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...n-phoenix.html

The big plus to CityScape is how something worthwile is now occupying what used to be a dilapidated city park and an ugly parking lot. The minus is the lackluster feeling to CityScape compared to the original hype. Of course, a lot of that was attributed to the economic downturn ... but the sad thing is that too many major developments that are planned are often scaled back or not completed at all.

Also, when I was last there, I noticed there was a construction crane at what appeared to be a potential highrise building. Could that be the hotel that was talked about in the initial plans? In any case, I haven't heard about any progress on this project ... so AZRiverfan's concerns about timelines for completion (and becoming an eyesore) are valid.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:27 PM

As was mentioned before, the lackluster feeling is really only relevant to people who follow this type of stuff, like you and me, and have seen renderings of what it was supposed to be. The majority of the public sees that is there now and I think likes it.

As for the hotel, construction is in full swing. This photo is from a week ago and I was there last night and they already have another floor being done and the elevator core is up to level #6 now. There will be 11 total floors at this point and I hear rumor that they are still looking at possibly dong additional office space above the hotel.

I was actually at Cityscape last night after the Suns game to eat at Arrogant Butcher and it was great. So nice to actually have sidewalk patio seating in downtown Phoenix with people strolling by.

[/img]http://nitnelav.com/cityscapenight01.jpg[/img]
(Not me in the picture by the way)

They also got the signage up on the office building for Alliance Bank, which is the only national bank that is headquartered in downtown Phoenix. Pretty cool.

Old 04-02-2011, 04:05 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,751,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

2. Some retailers have pulled out. A second La Grande Orange was supposed to go in and they pulled out due to the economy.
Published reports indicated that the LGO Public House was removed because they were unable to properly ventilate the type of open fire oven they wanted to use there.

LGO Public House pulls out of Phoenix's CityScape

Old 04-03-2011, 02:05 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
As was mentioned before, the lackluster feeling is really only relevant to people who follow this type of stuff, like you and me, and have seen renderings of what it was supposed to be. The majority of the public sees that is there now and I think likes it.
It's not that I don't like CityScape. Actually, I'm elated that something worthwhile is now occupying what used to be a run down street corner in the heart of downtown. The disappointment (at least when I was there) was there was more activity in other parts of downtown, and CityScape seemed dead.

How do you think a newcomer or a tourist who has never seen the original plans would view CityScape? Compare it to the newly completed City Center in Las Vegas (which has suffered some setbacks as well), and CityScape pales in comparison. Not that I like comparing the amenities in Las Vegas to those in Phoenix ... but Phoenix really should be offering more 24/7 amusement attractions to the urban core. CityScape is a good start, but I just don't see or feel the excitement.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It's not that I don't like CityScape. Actually, I'm elated that something worthwhile is now occupying what used to be a run down street corner in the heart of downtown. The disappointment (at least when I was there) was there was more activity in other parts of downtown, and CityScape seemed dead.

How do you think a newcomer or a tourist who has never seen the original plans would view CityScape? Compare it to the newly completed City Center in Las Vegas (which has suffered some setbacks as well), and CityScape pales in comparison. Not that I like comparing the amenities in Las Vegas to those in Phoenix ... but Phoenix really should be offering more 24/7 amusement attractions to the urban core. CityScape is a good start, but I just don't see or feel the excitement.
Agreed, I understand the need to create resources to serve the emerging downtown population such as having a grocery store, CVS pharmacy and a 5 Guys fast food. At the same time, most people don't really see those as attractions. Aside from the Arrogant Butcher, there aren't really any eateries that are worth going to there. If I want simple bar type/quick food, there are plenty of places immediately around there.

Nonetheless, I'm truly putting my critics hat on. It is nice to have something there and it is definitely a welcome addition.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:32 PM

Arrogant Butcher isn't the only destination at Cityscape...there is also Lucky Strike and both will soon be joined by Stand Up Live and Rasputin Vodka Lounge and Tilted Kilt.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Arrogant Butcher isn't the only destination at Cityscape...there is also Lucky Strike and both will soon be joined by Stand Up Live and Rasputin Vodka Lounge and Tilted Kilt.
I said it was the only destination for dinner if you aren't seeking bar food, I didn't say in general. Tilted Kilt and Lucky Strike aren't exactly considered dinner attractions. And Rasputin Lounge is another lounge not a place to have dinner. They are fun places but if you are like me and don't live in downtown and want to have dinner prior to a Suns game, the only place you can really sit down and have a nice dinner is Arrogant Butcher in City Scape.

Nonetheless, the Charming Charlie is a very fun boutique like clothing store that I think many ladies will enjoy. My wife certainly liked it. And it had many items that were fun and unique.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-03-2011 at 05:24 PM..

Old 04-03-2011, 08:14 PM

932 posts, read 1,965,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I said it was the only destination for dinner if you aren't seeking bar food, I didn't say in general. Tilted Kilt and Lucky Strike aren't exactly considered dinner attractions. And Rasputin Lounge is another lounge not a place to have dinner. They are fun places but if you are like me and don't live in downtown and want to have dinner prior to a Suns game, the only place you can really sit down and have a nice dinner is Arrogant Butcher in City Scape.

Nonetheless, the Charming Charlie is a very fun boutique like clothing store that I think many ladies will enjoy. My wife certainly liked it. And it had many items that were fun and unique.
Only place? There's many more places in the vicinity that offer a nice dining atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area