Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:55 AM

54 posts, read 311,955 times

Advertisements

hey, I just found this site and it's very informative. Anyways, I live in ohio right now and have been in the midwest my whole life. Last summer I spent the whole summer in San Diego. It was nice but too expensive. On the way driving home, passing through Arizona, I fell in love with it. I had never before even considered moving to Arizona, but once I was there I liked so many things about it. I have been looking at different areas, and it seems that you can get a nice house for a decent amount of money. My question is are what areas or suburbs have more grass lawns/trees/etc... or that are older. I have seen movies/pictures from AZ and I know some places have that. Also, what locations to stay away from? (I read in a magazine one time that casa grande had a bad gang problem?) Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 08:58 AM

i just saw the other topic about grass, ha. But, another question... What are the older suburbs/areas of Phoenix that are very lush in the greenery/grass/plants?

Old 07-29-2007, 12:23 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Arcadia and the central corridor (Central ave between Dunlap and Bethany Home). Both of these areas are higher end prices, often in the central corridor a min price is about $500k, but go way up into the millions. Arcadia is very similar in price.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:23 PM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,925 times
Default Grassy neighborhood

Moon Valley in North Phoenix is an older established neighborhood with a lot of people keeping green lawns. Look around the 7th Ave. to 7th St. and Bell Rd. to Thunderbird Rd. area. We also have a lot of bicyclists in this area. The housing prices are less than the Arcadia and Central Corridor areas.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:31 AM

21 posts, read 76,067 times
A home in any city in the Phoenix Metro Area can sustain a green lawn year round. Do not however expect average yearly rainfall to sustain your lawn. Sprinklers for 20 minutes in the early hours of the morning should be sufficient. The communities that are predominately grass are usually in the historic districts, or the master planned communities that don't allow desert landscaping (ie. Val Vista Lakes or The Islands, in Gilbert). If you are interested in the older type housing, almost every city has a Historic housing district so you might do some searches online for pictures of these areas. My favorites are Phoenix (in between 7th ave and 7the St.), Glendale and Mesa. However, I would not suggest downtown Mesa because of crime.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:50 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
I have lived in arizona my entire life.....my best advice to you is.....stay away from living anywhere near the I-17. The nicest area's....depending on your price range....would be away from the city. North Surprise is nice....you get a lot for your money....But I stay anywhere west of 59th avenue and north of Bell Road.....the farther south you go the worse it gets and the farther east you go towards the I-17 the worse it gets. Let me know if you have any other questions i'd be happy to try to answer.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:07 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,164,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
I have lived in arizona my entire life.....my best advice to you is.....stay away from living anywhere near the I-17. The nicest area's....depending on your price range....would be away from the city. North Surprise is nice....you get a lot for your money....But I stay anywhere west of 59th avenue and north of Bell Road.....the farther south you go the worse it gets and the farther east you go towards the I-17 the worse it gets. Let me know if you have any other questions i'd be happy to try to answer.
I'm trying to figure out if your post had anything to do with a green area? And, I don't necessarily agree with the closer to I-17 the worse it gets. Depends on how north you are, but what does "worse" mean?

Old 07-30-2007, 01:08 PM

thanks for the replies. I don't mind the desert rocky yards, but I would much rather have grass. I have seen some shows/movies taped in arizona, and did not even know it, because there was grass and trees. I guess certain areas anywhere can sustain that. I am also thinking about tucson. Not sure which would suit me better, phoenix or tucson. I guess we will see.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:36 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
I was actually refering to the "nicer" area's....if you know Arizona you know that there is not one spot "greener" than the other in the valley. And yes, the closer you get to the I-17 the more crime you will find (south of carefree highway that is)

Old 07-30-2007, 01:44 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidbicyclist View Post
thanks for the replies. I don't mind the desert rocky yards, but I would much rather have grass. I have seen some shows/movies taped in arizona, and did not even know it, because there was grass and trees. I guess certain areas anywhere can sustain that. I am also thinking about tucson. Not sure which would suit me better, phoenix or tucson. I guess we will see.
Stay away from Tucson if you want to have grass. Tucson has virtually no renewable water sources so it is pretty irresponsible to waste what little is left on grass. Also, the rates are high. You may even by strung up by your neighbors if you plant grass there .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area