Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 06:17 PM

19 posts, read 143,674 times

Advertisements

I'm from Massachusetts and seriously considering moving to Tempe this summer. I've heard it's a city with a lot of 19-30 year olds with plenty to do. Are there a lot of places to go mountain biking/ hiking? How is the lake in Tempe? How is the nightlife? What else is there to do in and around Tempe?

And lastly, do you think Tempe is a good place to live overall? Looking for suggestions and your thoughts on living in Tempe...or anywhere else in Arizona for that matter! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 06:30 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Tempe is a fun place and close to all of the things you are looking for. Hayden Butte makes for a good uphill hike. A variety of hiking trails and bike paths are just a short ride away.

The nightlife is great if you like the college thing. Not my cup of tea but a lot of people love it. You can also venture to Scottsdale or take the light rail to downtown Phoenix where I think there's a few clubs as well.

Food is plentiful here. So many good restaurants to choose from.

Tempe is a good place to live. I've been here since July and have no complaints.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:36 PM

19 posts, read 143,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Tempe is a fun place and close to all of the things you are looking for. Hayden Butte makes for a good uphill hike. A variety of hiking trails and bike paths are just a short ride away.

The nightlife is great if you like the college thing. Not my cup of tea but a lot of people love it. You can also venture to Scottsdale or take the light rail to downtown Phoenix where I think there's a few clubs as well.

Food is plentiful here. So many good restaurants to choose from.

Tempe is a good place to live. I've been here since July and have no complaints.
Thanks for the input!

I am a 23 year old college grad, but I do still enjoy the college bar/party scene from time to time. However I don't want to live in a predominantly college student neighborhood because I don't want to be bothered by all-nighters/ all-day parties if I'm not in the mood. I would like to live a decent distance from ASU but still pretty close to ASU and the town lake. Do you have any suggestions? I would consider a single apt/condo or possibly a 3-5 BR house to rent because I might live with some roommates.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 PM

235 posts, read 755,804 times
Tempe sounds like the place for you, Papago park is close by, great mountain biking in that area, among others that are in the vicinity, lots of clubs, 20-30 somethings bar hopping, Mill ave is the place to be on a Friday or Saturday. The lake is ok, nothing to write home about, its nice to walk along, I have been pedal boating out there before, it was fun good luck, and keep us updated with how it goes!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:32 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
I've lived here since before I was your age, and I'm still here. Great place to live, for all the above reasons and more.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:10 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,117 times
I've lived in Tempe me my whole life and it has everything you are looking for. Hiking and Papago and South Mountain. The College bar scene on Mill and nice hole in the wall bars like Monkey Pants and Yucca Tap Room. Excellent restaurants on Mill. You can Live near ASU and not know its so close. I live a couple miles away and it is a nice middle class neighborhood with no all night ragers. Once you get past Broadway you are out of the immediate area.

Oh and forgot to add Tempe Town Lake is great for a sunset bike ride, great for people watching. Plus, most of the biggest events in the Valley take place there.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,991 times
Hi, my husband got scholarships from U mass and ASU. From both he got tuition waiver and we are now thinking the place we should choose. Which place do u think will be most suitable for us? I meant, we got the scholarship( so my husband can't work and I don't want to because we have a toddler) so we dont have lots of money for sure. we are from Indonesia and we are not familiar enough with the system in US. But some friends suggested us to choose Tempe because it will save money from buying winter clothing, the heating and they say that ASU family housing is cheap. Thanks. Ella

Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 AM

701 posts, read 1,096,969 times
I was running through Papago Park a couple of weeks ago. While it's very small, it seems to be pretty good for weekday mountain bike rides. Also, the immediate area had lots of bike lanes. I quit mountain biking when I moved from California to NYC, but once I'm moved, I think I'll have to start again. This site might interest you:

MountainBikeAZ - Arizona's Mountain Biking Resource

Old 04-11-2011, 12:18 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMambu View Post
Hi, my husband got scholarships from U mass and ASU. From both he got tuition waiver and we are now thinking the place we should choose. Which place do u think will be most suitable for us? I meant, we got the scholarship( so my husband can't work and I don't want to because we have a toddler) so we dont have lots of money for sure. we are from Indonesia and we are not familiar enough with the system in US. But some friends suggested us to choose Tempe because it will save money from buying winter clothing, the heating and they say that ASU family housing is cheap. Thanks. Ella
There is family housing on the ASU Polytechnic campus, I think that is the only one that offers it. The rates are certainly reasonable. There are buses to the other campuses, if some of his classes are there.
The climate would be better for you than Massachusetts, since you are not used to snow and cold. Good luck to you!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 6,363 times
We just moved from Tempe but I'm we're in our late 30's. From what I saw, yes, it's a lot of the younger generation out there. You shouldn't have a problem with finding great places to hang out at or go hiking. It's a veryf friendly town. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area