Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 05:41 PM

22 posts, read 39,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
I'm answering only those questions I know something about. I'm out of touch with apartment prices and don't know much about the cost of living in Orlando, so I can't help you there.

Public transportation -- Better than its reputation, but always a challenge because the city was designed primarily for the car. Bus service covers most arterial streets in Phoenix and its major suburbs. Light rail is under construction and will connect Phoenix, Tempe, and the west end of Mesa starting in December 2008. If public transportation is important, it would probably be best to live in Central Phoenix or Tempe. Fortunately, those are the areas closest to Sky Harbor.

City or town for quiet existence -- Phoenix is a fast-growing, low-density metro area. If you settle on the fringes, what appears to be a charming village today may become a huge subdivision tomorrow. It's probably better to find an area you like near work. A reasonable commute will do more for your sanity than a quiet town.

Crime Rate -- Depends on who you believe. Regardless, you should exercise normal urban precauations: locked doors, alarm system with monitoring, knowing your neighbors, etc.

Daycare -- I'm used to seeing about $200 per week for infant care. Prices go down for older kids, of course.

Nearest Beach -- Probably Rocky Point, Mexico, a drive of several hours. San Diego, CA is also popular.

Overall View of Phoenix -- I've lived here nearly two decades and grow more fond of it all the time, but it's not for everyone. Visit several times if possible and do thorough research before relocating.

Some of my favorite things about Phoenix:

-- great combination of outdoor recreation and indoor attractions
-- beautiful mountain scenery throughout the city
-- lots of opportunity and economic growth
So I guess after 2 decades it’s safe to safe to say you like Phoenix? I am an outdoorsman so from your description I think I’ll enjoy the beautiful mountain scenery throughout the city as well as the various outdoor activities. What are the parks like? Are they well kept?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 05:46 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,965,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ndless View Post
The average 2 bedroom apartment is 700-800, not 1000-1600 like the other person posted, I have a 2bd 2bath 1100sq ft apartment near tatum and bell for 775/month.

Nearest beach would be down in Rocky Point, Mexico, its beautiful down there (some parts) and no laws!

Tatum and Bell 2 bedroom 775? What's the complex I'm gonna tell my son he has a 2 bedroom on Main and Dobson in Mesa not a very good neighborhood and he's paying 760.00 for like 800 sqft. My sister is on Val Vista and University not the greatest either and she's paying close to 900.00. Your place sounds a lot better than that.

Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason19 View Post
Thanks for the feed back. I won’t be a 9-5 guy so I might just get lucky with the traffic. I’ve never been to Phoenix but you are right a trip or two in order to familiarize myself would be wise. I think Scottsdale may be out of my range at $1,000 – $1,600 for a two bedroom apartment.

Daycare is apparently expensive everywhere; my kids are very small, one year old twins. I guess a move to Phoenix won’t ease the price of daycare for us… ah well.

I’ll definitely be visiting those web sites you suggested. Those links will really help us out, THANKS.
That price range for a luxury apt is the same in all parts of the valley, though the very highest in only a few areas (Scottsdale, Biltmore, downtown, central phx).

Old 08-02-2007, 11:45 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,212,689 times
Mason19, there are many other nice areas where housing would be more affordable. And like the other poster indicated you can find some more reasonable apartments.

Hope you come back once you have had a chance to sift through some. And I know at some of the rental sites identify what "area" places are in and definitely give you the address and zip code. There are many posts around here that talk about the different areas. And I am sure the other posters will gladly give you guidance on some of the places you find and what kind of commute you would likely be looking at.

Again, good luck in the search and the interview!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area