Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 09:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,413 times

Advertisements

We're looking at homes in south Chandler or Gilbert and wanted to find an area that is welcoming and kid friendly. Currently, we are in a neighborhood that is all mormon and we are "on the outs", if you will. We'd like to find a community that neighbors interact with each other and include all who live there with good schools. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 09:27 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,179,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbikefan View Post
We're looking at homes in south Chandler or Gilbert and wanted to find an area that is welcoming and kid friendly. Currently, we are in a neighborhood that is all mormon and we are "on the outs", if you will. We'd like to find a community that neighbors interact with each other and include all who live there with good schools. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I'm sorry you experienced that. We lived in Fincher Farms, then Agritopia, and loved it. Some of our neighbors were LDS, and we're definitely not. We never felt otracized or judged, nor did they ever discuss religion with us. However, they were phenomenal neighbors. Perhaps you're "on the outs" for other reasons?

Old 05-04-2011, 12:13 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,595,925 times
Both areas are extremely welcoming and kid friendly. It will kind of depend more on your price range and how far you are willing to drive. I have to say Ocotillo is one of my favorite areas and it's still fairly close to the airport and downtown. There are some really nice areas out by San Tan Mall too.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:36 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,343,802 times
I live in Chandler and I'm very comfortable here. It's very diverse. It's rare that I meet extreme right wing individuals. Most people I meet are fairly moderate to left leaning socially. There is a large sense of community here with regard to schools, social programs, sports leagues etc. There is no easily identified bent toward one religious group in Chandler. Ocotillo is one of the more upscale areas of Chandler. And you can still get the benefits of Gilbert without living there. You can still drive to Agratopia, San Tan Village and downtown Gilbert for it's ammenities without living there.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-04-2011 at 01:58 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 02:09 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,532,380 times
My husband has been living in Chandler since January and my 9 year old daughter and I will be moving in June. My husband really likes it there and our daughter will be going to school in the Kyrene school district. He says our neighbors are really nice and have already planned play dates with our daughter so she will have friends right off the bat.

We lived in Utah (Saratoga Springs) to be exact for 2 years, so we know what you are saying when you say "on the outs". Not all our street neighbors were like that, but it was hard for our daughter at school. We have lived in going on 5 states and only felt that way in Utah.

Good luck with the move.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:26 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,810,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azbikefan View Post
Gilbert and Chandler are both nice cities with good schools. If you check the religious demographics you'll find that the Catholics make up the largest single religions in those towns. The last numbers I saw was something like Catholic 17% and LDs 13%.

My family is Catholic. Our grand kids have gone to school in the Gilbert school district for 10 years and love it. One graduates this year, and the other next year. We have never seen, and my grand kids have never seen any religious discrimination since we've been here.

Pick out a nice neighborhood in either city, and knock on some neighbors doors. Ask about the community and how family friendly it is.

One thing you cannot do is to ask your Realtor to find an area for you based on religious makeup because the agent cannot discuss the religious makeup of a neighborhood without violating the anti-discrimination laws.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,343,802 times
One thing people need to keep in mind is that Chandler is huge. It's now the 4th largest city in Arizona. It recently overtook Glendale. It's very spread out and it's demographics can vary tremendously depending upon the area It really varies where you live in Chandler so make sure you research the subdivision, crime schools etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area