Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 12:31 AM

287 posts, read 896,981 times

Advertisements

My house has an old AC unit that will have to be replaced soon and I would like a cooler installed, too. So I was thinking of a evap cooler/AC unit instead of 2 seperate units. Anyone have experience with these type of piggy back units? For some reason i can't even find any information on them at all. Any info you can give me would be much appreciated thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 11:40 AM

97 posts, read 290,526 times
They probably don't make them any more. Goettl made them for years and they were a mess. Corrosion and leakage of refrigeration galore. I don't think there is much going on with evap coolers in residential applications anymore, unless you have cigarette smokers in the house and are trying to blow out smoke. New ac's are so efficient that it's not worth all the expense and trouble of having evap, too. Take your cooler budget (They're not cheap to buy and install) and upgrade the AC to a super high efficiency model with a 10 year parts and labor warranty. Or new windows. Or more attic insulation. IMHO

Last edited by BabsJohnson; 05-26-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 05-26-2011, 03:52 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,323 times
I spent 79 on a Master Flow attic fan, and it seems to make a big difference. I am cooling with evap only, and my electric bills are very low. I've used 170 Kwh since 4 May.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,761,250 times
Problem with the evap. cooler is that they should not be used in the Monsoon season which is really the worst time of the year needing air conditioning. Evap. coolers only really work, when the air is dry. The old combo units, are so outdated with modern air conditioning, they are no longer made, and as said earlier caused more problems than they were worth.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:57 PM

287 posts, read 896,981 times
I love evap coolers. Not during Monsoon season but when its dry. I like the fresh air coming in and how cold it gets when the windows are opened. And I have heard about how efficient the new AC units are these days as well has how much of a hassle the piggyback ac/cooler units are (were). Right now I think I'll save up my money for when I 'll need a new AC, and all for new windows. Thanks you all for your help!

Old 07-09-2011, 07:00 PM

5 posts, read 14,368 times
I put in a evap cooler 2 years ago. It is not piggy backed but connected in to the ac duct work. The cooler, motor, purge pump, master cool themostat (evap is not master cool), roof jack, auto damper, duct work (flex, collars, tape, straps..) was just under $1000. I had a evap in the garage for 12 years and i used it to cool the house it rusted out. I found the cooler in the garage cooled the house so when it was time to replace it i put the new one on the roof. they are just not for smokers bro !!!! I LOVE THE FRESH MOIST AIR. Living in phx az it is so dry.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:07 PM

5 posts, read 14,368 times
I turned on my AC when the humidity went up here in Phoenix. my power usage had increased 3 to 4 times with the ac on. I hate the ac, house closed up all the time, like living in a cave. I have an attached garage and have a security screen door on the door from the house to the garage. When the evap cooler is on the solid door from the house to the garage is open, screen door closed. The air goes from the evap, thru the house, out the door into the garage, then up in to the attic and out the attic vents. So the air is cooling my house, garage, and attic for pennys a day. It is a choice of what i like, i can afford to run the ac, but i prefer the comfort of the evap. as soon as i get uncomfortable with the temps coming out of the evap i turn on the ac.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:20 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,692,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
My house has an old AC unit that will have to be replaced soon and I would like a cooler installed, too. So I was thinking of a evap cooler/AC unit instead of 2 seperate units. Anyone have experience with these type of piggy back units? For some reason i can't even find any information on them at all. Any info you can give me would be much appreciated thanks!
I had "dual cooling" (two separate units, a MasterCool Evaporative Cooler and an Amana 5 Ton Heat Pump) installed when I purchased my home back in the late 90's and the performance has been better than great.

At the time I asked about a single "combination" unit and was told NO WAY, don't even go there by a number of experts.

About the only time I use the A/C is during July and August when the humidity soars as I prefer the open window fresh air with the Swamp Cooler rather than living in a sealed container.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:42 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,962 times
Several years ago I had both A/C and evap, and loved it. My plants really loved the evap.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,213,988 times
I had a Goettl piggyback for years. Loved it. It is a shame that we have gone to all AC. I don't think you are going to find one these days, but you could put on a separate cooler. Even a big window unit would do the the job on smaller houses. Just pick a window that is not next to your favorite chair! It gets way too cold. I have a cooler on my patio that works well. It is where the prying eyes of the HOA patrol can't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area