Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:35 AM

63 posts, read 114,172 times

Advertisements

In the past year, I have been looking at real estate in Sun City West, Arizona Traditions, and Sun City Grand. I have noticed a considerable drop in prices in AZT and SCG but not so much in West. Are there problems (financial or otherwise) in Traditions or Grand that they don't have in Sun City West? I ask this because the houses are much newer in the Surprise area but are listing for the same price as the older community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 10:54 AM

284 posts, read 702,087 times
I can't answer your question but I am wondering if you have looked in the East Valley (Sunland Springs, Leisure World, Fountain of the Sun) also?

Old 05-28-2011, 11:22 AM

2,155 posts, read 5,190,236 times
Sun City West is more established and in general the homes are older so it is more stable. Sun City Grand and Traditions are newer and were very hot (no pun intended) a few years ago which drove prices up and conversely now further down. Also Sun City West is not comprised of just one subdivision but many. I am not sure what data you are using to compare, but I suspect that if you compared Cortabella (a subdivision in SCW) to Sun City Grand, you would find similar data.

All 3 three communities are stable.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:38 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,790,482 times
The worst thing about buying out there is the 3000 transfer fee. It is especially brutal now that homes in SC can be found for less than 70K, if not 50K (for villas). I wouldn't be 100% surprised to see a pitbull or two out there, nowadays.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:33 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,772,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
The worst thing about buying out there is the 3000 transfer fee. It is especially brutal now that homes in SC can be found for less than 70K, if not 50K (for villas). I wouldn't be 100% surprised to see a pitbull or two out there, nowadays.
I had to laugh at the pitbull comment. We have only seen the little tiny toy dog, which seems to be the pet of choice in Sun City. We will be moving into our newly remodled old home in August and taking a 200 lb Mastiff which should shake up the neighborhood some. The transfer fee was not that big an issue for us. The golf course is nicely maintained and my husband can golf for pennies on the dollar compared to some 55 communities, they have 7 rec centers and art classes/studios, pools all for $40 a month and far cheaper than where we are living now. It just depends on how much bling makes you happy. I will let you know if I run into a pitbull which are unfortunately gaining in popularity here in Vistanchaaaaa along with pee stained mattresses in the back of dirty trailers heading up Vistanchaaa blvd every weekend. Sigh.

Of course one could probably find a few pee stained mattresses in Sun City as well.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Sun City West is more established and in general the homes are older so it is more stable. Sun City Grand and Traditions are newer and were very hot (no pun intended) a few years ago which drove prices up and conversely now further down. Also Sun City West is not comprised of just one subdivision but many. I am not sure what data you are using to compare, but I suspect that if you compared Cortabella (a subdivision in SCW) to Sun City Grand, you would find similar data.

All 3 three communities are stable.
I appreciate this information. My comparison is based on homes in the $150K range, low taxes, and communities with a large variety of amenities. Corte Bella seems a bit too expensive to me with additional HOA fees although I have seen some lower prices there too. Basically looking for the most bang for the buck in a community that will not be falling into financial difficulties.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I had to laugh at the pitbull comment. We have only seen the little tiny toy dog, which seems to be the pet of choice in Sun City. We will be moving into our newly remodled old home in August and taking a 200 lb Mastiff which should shake up the neighborhood some. The transfer fee was not that big an issue for us. The golf course is nicely maintained and my husband can golf for pennies on the dollar compared to some 55 communities, they have 7 rec centers and art classes/studios, pools all for $40 a month and far cheaper than where we are living now. It just depends on how much bling makes you happy. I will let you know if I run into a pitbull which are unfortunately gaining in popularity here in Vistanchaaaaa along with pee stained mattresses in the back of dirty trailers heading up Vistanchaaa blvd every weekend. Sigh.

Of course one could probably find a few pee stained mattresses in Sun City as well.
I am an outsider looking at the West Valley based on two visits in the past two years. I ask a lot of questions when I visit and the information that I glean from this forum by people who live in the area has been very valuable. Not sure I understand the pit bull/pee stained mattresses reference but it sounds like a reference to illegal immigrant flophouses. Am I off base here?

Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellas17 View Post
I am an outsider looking at the West Valley based on two visits in the past two years. I ask a lot of questions when I visit and the information that I glean from this forum by people who live in the area has been very valuable. Not sure I understand the pit bull/pee stained mattresses reference but it sounds like a reference to illegal immigrant flophouses. Am I off base here?
LOL yes, just a poke at our changing market. We have all be hit by the foreclosure issue but things are changing back again. Lots of rentals in our development as well as others and the trailers are not filled with Rob and Stucky (high end overpriced furniture store) any longer. We don't have many pitbulls but there are always a few who think they are precious, but I have not seen a single one in Sun City, only poodles.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,790,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post

My dad said the same thing about the golf rates--650 for the entire year, when they looked at SCG in 1996. It was 75 per round in his 55+ community.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
My dad said the same thing about the golf rates--650 for the entire year, when they looked at SCG in 1996. It was 75 per round in his 55+ community.
I think for members it is around $30 to $35 a round, guests are something around $45. Cheap today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area