Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 04:45 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times

Advertisements

SS is a pain to keep clean. I got rid of a 2 year old SS side by side, which are useless as you can't fit anything into them. Went to Sears and bought almond amoire style with freezer on bottom. love it! who cares about what is in style? That's ridiculous unless you are selling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 07:09 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Normally I don't give a crap about fridge appearance. I'm just not that materialistic.
Quote:
who cares about what is in style? That's ridiculous unless you are selling!
I've already expressed how much I don't like caring for stainless steel, but I'm honestly puzzled by comments like this.

Like it or not stainless steel is pretty much the default appearance, it is what is expected in a nice looking kitchen. If you need a new fridge, how is it materialistic to pick the one that looks like what current trends indicate a fridge looks like? Why would it only matter if you sell, aren't you seeing your kitchen every day? Would you choose a dated looking couch for your living room since you aren't selling? Think about why you said it would be good if you selling for a sec... oh yeah, because it looks better.

I'm not someone who spends time looking at home shows or reading decor magazines, but trends are what they are and for whatever reason stainless steel looks good in a 2011. I can't explain it anymore than I can explain why really high waist jeans look dated, it is what it is. So to me picking a current style when upgrading hardly seems materialistic, or worthy of consideration only if selling.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:07 AM

72 posts, read 137,346 times
From the Consumer Report's statistics, traditional top-freezers are more reliable than bottom-freezers, while the most unreliable ones are side-by-sides.

And of course, with icemaker, the fridge is more error-prone.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:14 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I've already expressed how much I don't like caring for stainless steel, but I'm honestly puzzled by comments like this.

Like it or not stainless steel is pretty much the default appearance, it is what is expected in a nice looking kitchen. If you need a new fridge, how is it materialistic to pick the one that looks like what current trends indicate a fridge looks like? Why would it only matter if you sell, aren't you seeing your kitchen every day? Would you choose a dated looking couch for your living room since you aren't selling? Think about why you said it would be good if you selling for a sec... oh yeah, because it looks better.

I'm not someone who spends time looking at home shows or reading decor magazines, but trends are what they are and for whatever reason stainless steel looks good in a 2011. I can't explain it anymore than I can explain why really high waist jeans look dated, it is what it is. So to me picking a current style when upgrading hardly seems materialistic, or worthy of consideration only if selling.
+1

I bought stainless because it looks nice. White or black wouldn't have been any cheaper, nor would they look as good. Cleaning it isn't any worse than cleaning a white or black fridge - wipe it down once in a while..

Black shows dings in the doors, white fridges have handles and plastic parts that turn yellow over time and look bad...

None of the current crop of fridges has the durability to last very long anyways - if you change your mind, you'll be able to swap colors when the appliances fail

Old 05-29-2011, 10:06 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,197,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
White or black wouldn't have been any cheaper, nor would they look as good.
Another good point. When they first were coming out and were all the rage, stainless steel models cost a lot more so a reasonable argument could be made that it wasn't worth the money for such a high-end specialized upgrade.

These days you walk into an appliance store and the majority of the models are stainless steel.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:41 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
A side by side counter depth refrigerator does not give you much freezer space, true, but we bought a full size freezer for our oversized laundry room, so that is not an issue at all. In fact, the only issue is fending off friends and family trying to store their food in our freezer.

Old 05-29-2011, 03:38 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
... who cares about what is in style? That's ridiculous unless you are selling!
According to the US Census bureau, "The average American family moves every five years. This equals about 16 times throughout the average lifetime." I've never owned a refrigerator that didn't last longer than five years, so I will hedge my bets and buy what is most popular. More than once circumstances have forced me to sell houses I expected to live in longer than I did.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:30 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
Stainless steel appliances remind me of institutions and institutional living. I just don't get their appeal. But, I used to see them in nursing homes a lot, so maybe I'm biased...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area