Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,579 times

Advertisements

I may have an upcoming opportunity in Phoenix. This job pays about 2 cents less than my Job here in NJ. What are the benefits of living in Arizona(PHO metro area). I can give you the run down of what we'll be leaving and some fears of uncertainty going there.

Here we own our home(bank still does), my wife and I make almost $200K. Guaranteed union job for myself for at least the next 25 years and she is firmly planted within her industry as well although not as secure.

Property taxes are $7K, Daycare is $15K, for my one child(2nd one due in November). Commuting is around $6K each.

Other than the weather and the fact that we don't like where NJ is in terms of liberal political agenda and robbing it's citizens! What does AZ have to offer. Are the schools decent. Is 100K enough to live decently in AZ for a family of 5? We'll prolly take a $40K cut in income if she wants to work a $90K if she does not. Is it worth it.

We'd probably look in the 400K for homes with good schools. Can this happen? Biggest thing here in NJ is property taxes. My taxes are downright low as compared to a lot of towns. I have a 77' x 166' property, what are the sizes of the avg lot. I was advised to look into cave creek, anthem and a few other towns a little north of the area.

I commute at least 45 minutes now, while paying the crooks around $8 a day to drive on their roads.

Sell me on the area, my first love to relocate back to would be Austin(although I hear the libs have taken over there as well since the early 90's), I cannot find the work and money I need there to raise the family.....

Thanx in advance for your opinions and information.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2007, 07:18 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Interesting post, NJPete

Having visited and lived around this great country I feel comfortable in saying . . . THERE'S NO PERFECT SPOT.

For every positive, there is a negative. Sales Tax may be higher but Rent and/or Mortgage may be lower. Property Taxes may seem a little lower but Vehicle Registration may be higher and so on. Some states have no Income Tax but, believe me, they get you some other way.

By comparison, we spend very little on Heat (you can count the days on one hand that I have needed anything more than my fireplace) while we may spend a little more on Air Conditioning but having spent time in your area, I seriously doubt that.

Bottom line . . . there is much more to being happy than the "financial" aspect, however, being constantly broke and living beyond your means doesn't help either.

GOOD LUCK on your decision!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:26 PM

124 posts, read 413,452 times
Well yes the taxes here are lower I believe. And Child care I believe for 2 kids $200 a week is about average. As far as commuting it just depends on how far we dont have tollways here and we also dont have trains or subways they are putting in a light rail but Im not sure when that will be finished so as far as money goes on that your just looking at gas. The lots here are alot smaller I believe normal is 50 or 60x160. Cave Creek and Anthem are Beautiful but very very far out there. If your jobs are in the city you will have a very long commute time. But Im not to familiar with the Phoenix location I live in the East Valley ( chandler, mesa, gilbert,) I cant really sell you on coming here obviously from my screen name I want to leave, Its not the funnest place for kids! if you single or retired its great! If you will be taking a $40k pay cut I personally dont think it would be worth the move. And to find a house for $100 your looking at maybe a 2 bed condo. Good luck with your decision

Old 08-05-2007, 07:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,579 times
Not worried about making a million just living a decent life. Don't really care about dollars as I'm contemplating dropping $90K/yr.

I don't mind paying for things as well. What I should say is here in NJ, you pay a lot but get very little on your return. You pay more so that everyone else here can live their lives even though some do not work for it.

Nonetheless the powers at be think they still deserve a slice of the pie in spite of this.....

I've lived in TX, OK, GA, NJ, Europe. I hate the cold more than most. Saw 100+ in CA desert and loved it........Especially when it went to 60* at night... Heat during the day and a light blanket and the windows open at night......

I'm just looking for perspectives on life in AZ!

Thank you again for your input.......

Old 08-05-2007, 09:30 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post
I've lived in TX, OK, GA, NJ, Europe. I hate the cold more than most. Saw 100+ in CA desert and loved it........Especially when it went to 60* at night... Heat during the day and a light blanket and the windows open at night......
Sorry to dissapoint you, Pete, but Phoenix is not like that. Because of the urban heat island effect, the temperatures do not cool down at night much at all. If it's 110 for the high that day, it will probably still be 100 degrees even at midnight! During the monsoon season, the blanket of clouds keeps the heat in for even longer. There is so much concrete, asphalt, rooftops, and cars here that the climate of the Phoenix area has been changed from the natural desert. Not to mention that the Sonoran desert is a little different from the Mojave desert in California.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:36 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJPete View Post
Vegaspilgrim is right on this point, NJPete.

If you are looking for warm and/or hot days and then cool evenings, Phoenix will disappoint you.

Tucson is probably the largest city in Arizona offering that type of climate. The almost 3k foot elevation makes it cooler and drier most of the year except for the Monsoon season. Plan B would be to choose a higher elevation area outside of Phoenix which will involve a hefty commute. Definitely not very desirable.

Once again, Good Luck!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:46 PM

124 posts, read 413,452 times
Well if we did cool off at night maybe it wouldnt be so bad but they are right the nights stay in the 90's to 100 if its a hot day your night will be hot. CA is totally different climate then here they have the ocean breeze we have no breeze here if you want to know what the breeze feels like plug your blowdryer in or turn on your oven thats what it feels like. If you want those warm days and cool nights go up North to Flagstaff or Prescott

Old 08-05-2007, 11:55 PM

178 posts, read 801,186 times
have you thought of las cruces, NM? You'll get the heat you want, possibly better schools than in Phx, and it does cool off at night enough to open the windows, more often than not. Don't know what industry you and your wife are in, so you'd have to check out the employment. Very little to no traffic, better air quality, a lot less crime, very low taxes. good luck.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,223 times
Hi NJPete, I'm in Phoenix from New Jersey, been here 19 years and looking to go home. There are some nice things here, no snow and not cold. But there is no change in weather, its hot or hotter: no rain no ocean. Taxes much lower than NJ but it shows. As a teacher, I know NJ schools are much better. A lot of nice people here, but no sense of community. IF you like to shop, we have a ton of shopping. After 19 years, I don't consider it my home. Plus the pizza sucks. But I understand wanting a change.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:57 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
I would do a cost of living comparison and you can find them online. We are taxed on food here and just about everything else. According to my recent find NJ ranks 47 with 50 being the worst state compared to AZ which only ranks a 34. Homes are cheaper right now, but tried to catch up with the other states during the boom. Property taxes are what brought us here from CA along with state income taxes, business and politics. We have met mostly people from NJ and Phily here in our community and they are very happy here. You might benifit from a visit here before you leap. It does stay hot all night long for months, but the winter weather is more than worth it. The only thing I have a hard time with is wearing shorts during Christmas. Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area