Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:56 PM

641 posts, read 2,367,318 times

Advertisements

It is sad I will never see that blueberry sour cream pie. It ruled !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 08:15 PM

36 posts, read 40,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Honestly, I feel a little sorry these restaurants are going but there is a reason these restaurants fail. I went to the Marie Callender's in Chandler and it was obvious why it failed. The restaurant was small and claustrophobic. The menu was unspectacular. The service was poor. Their famous pies tasted like something you could get at any grocery store. Cocos is next. If these restaurants don't learn to evolve and adapt, they are going under. This isn't the 1940's any longer in which you can serve mediocre food, service, and an atmosphere and get away with it because you are the only show in town.

Also, you have to wonder why these types of restaurants don't focus on small towns and rural communities. Those communities would love to have a Marie Calendars but instead, they try to set up in large cities and compete with much better restaurants. Cocos, Village Inn, Marie Callendars, Shoneys, Steak and Shake.....all of these places need to target rural areas and small cities/towns otherwise they are going to become extinct. A lot of times people from these areas will drive to large cities because they have nothing.
You are oh so right! Here we are in 2018 and Coco's is gone and Marie Calenders and I'm not sure about Village Inn or shoneys and Steak and shake.

Old 09-14-2018, 12:10 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboy34 View Post
You are oh so right! Here we are in 2018 and Coco's is gone and Marie Calenders and I'm not sure about Village Inn or shoneys and Steak and shake.
There's a couple of Village Inn restaurants in the Tucson area.

Ken

Old 09-14-2018, 08:38 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Ken
but Shakey's are no more...and both the one in Nogales and the one near Tucson Greyhound Park were two of the last survivors.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:04 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,614,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
but Shakey's are no more...and both the one in Nogales and the one near Tucson Greyhound Park were two of the last survivors.
Okay, I'll jump into this older'n dirt thread...

HR, not sure if you mean Ye Olde Shakey's Pizza Parlor?

I believe that particular one's been dead and gone for quite a while (like this thread should be). There are a couple of possible things which killed that dud off...

Their pizza and everybody else's pizza always tasted like... well, like everybody else's blasé pizza -- which is where my "pizza's pizza" comes from. Or, it may have been because they always had a sign on their door which declared: "ENGLISH SPOKEN HERE"?

Old 09-14-2018, 09:24 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,974,718 times
still about 50 left in Socal...the buffet made it popular..but not in the same league as brooklyn pizza...always thought magpie was overrated.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:17 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,965,605 times
Last time I went to a pizza buffet was Eatza Pizza. Never again.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:26 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,638,553 times
Marie Callender's, Village Inn, Cocos, and Shari's restaurants all have one thing in common, failing to adjust with changing consumer demands according to the free market. IHOP and Denny's are doing fine because they cover the diner aspect of the restaurant sector.

They're very similar to the cafeteria heyday years from 1940s to roughly 1970s. Anybody remember Luby's, Furr's, and Wyatt's Cafeteria? They had a quite a few locations around Phoenix and across the country, look where they're at now. People would rather pick up what they want for food rather than wait in a cattle drive getting served sub standard food.

Old 09-14-2018, 10:38 AM

381 posts, read 345,046 times
I loved cafeterias and went to Furr’s with my grandma when I was little. As a kid, nothing was cooler than making my way down the line and grabbing whatever looked good. Miss those days. It would be great to see someone step into that role. I guess places like Hometown Buffet somewhat full that niche now, but I feel like it is substandard.

Also love diners, but places like IHOP and Denny’s seem like watered down versions of what a diner should be. Would be awesome to see Denny’s embrace their history in a real way ZMC become more genuinely retro.

Always loved Marie Calendars and Cocos. Cocos has actually done a lot of menu updates in recent years and seems to do fairly well in SoCal. Marie Callendars is an awesome concept and I hope they can introduce some new elements to make things work.

Old 09-14-2018, 11:47 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,435,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post

Ken

Still a few up here in the Phoenix area too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman1 View Post
I loved cafeterias and went to Furr’s with my grandma when I was little. As a kid, nothing was cooler than making my way down the line and grabbing whatever looked good. Miss those days. It would be great to see someone step into that role. I guess places like Hometown Buffet somewhat full that niche now, but I feel like it is substandard.

Also love diners, but places like IHOP and Denny’s seem like watered down versions of what a diner should be. Would be awesome to see Denny’s embrace their history in a real way ZMC become more genuinely retro.

Always loved Marie Calendars and Cocos. Cocos has actually done a lot of menu updates in recent years and seems to do fairly well in SoCal. Marie Callendars is an awesome concept and I hope they can introduce some new elements to make things work.

I too loved cafeterias when I was young. My dad ran one across from St. Joseph's Hospital in the early 60's. Piccadilly Cafeteria at Thomas Mall was my favorite after that.

Coco's was one of my favorites when they first appeared. The ice cold forks they would serve with the green salad, which had a really good house dressing. The burgers and the pies were delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area