Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:21 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,506,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Many times, you are going to find homes located next to schools less desirable due to all the calling cards kids leave behind, such as graffiti, etc. This is especially true in older neighborhoods that don't have HOA management. Not that I'm crazy about HOAs, but they are pretty effective in keeping the riff raff down to a minimum.

Even though the house may have been renovated, that doesn't necessarily mean the neighborhood it's in is going to be anything worthwhile. Again, stay away from homes next to schools. Kids have a tendency to ruin neighborhoods. That's why communities like Sun City look so pristine, and districts like Garfield do not.
In most cases living near a school is an asset, not a devaluation.

Many times when people move to a new city or a new area they want to be near good public schools. The better ones can enhance a neighborhood whether new or historic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 04:19 AM

50 posts, read 83,825 times
I'm digging up an old thread here. Sorry. =(

I'm a Portland 38 resident here! We are right across from Roosevelt Row. I'm a guy in his 30s and I go jogging late at night... anywhere from 10PM to 2AM, depending on what day it is and how lazy I am. I've been jogging for over three years down here. I go from I10 and 7th street down to the baseball park, then into downtown, and I take a random path back home.

The improvement in safely has been dramatic. The deck park is not somewhere you want to go at night, but the big streets are pretty safe. I've never felt threatened in any way while jogging at night.

Serious gentrification going on here, but my condo place is on the edge of it. Our neighbors are mostly poor, hispanic, poor and hispanic, and then some hipster goofball artsy thrown in for good measure. I have to say, the neighbors here on this street are pretty awesome.

East of 9th street is a no-go zone after dark. It's damn scary over there. That's where the trouble comes from. The kids that grow up in that kind of poverty are naturally going to have nothing better to do than vandalize stuff. I can say that with first-hand experience.

The ASU and UofA students down here are a serious driving force for downtown Phoenix development. They have money, are active, and need stuff to do. I can't stress enough how important those college kids are to downtown Phoenix improvement.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:36 AM

221 posts, read 598,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayManne View Post

The ASU and UofA students down here are a serious driving force for downtown Phoenix development. They have money, are active, and need stuff to do. I can't stress enough how important those college kids are to downtown Phoenix improvement.
Glad to hear it's working out for you!

About 15 years ago I wrote an article about how Downtown Phoenix would never attain any vibrancy until a real college or university with dorms was built there. Working people have no leisure time to do what's necessary to build culture, and working people with kids REALLY don't have time or inclination. I remember talking this over with one of the "new urbanist" architects who had no concept of what I was talking about. Sad.

But now I feel VINDICATED!!!! Yay me!!!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:37 PM

Yes, you were right. I have been living down here for maybe seven years now, and lived in Phoenix metro many years before that.

At night time, downtown would clear out. That's because all of the working people drive home, which is 45 minutes out to who-knows-where-they-all-live. Who is left after 7PM? Just the poor locals, and that can't drive local businesses.

So, now that we do have some adult working people who live in the condos and some of the gentrifying neighborhoods, add the college students to that, and a little bit of night life traffic (which is increasing slowly), and you've finally got a real downtown with a tiny bit of culture.

Granted, it would be really easy to kill off what is going on here by stopping the funding and re-growth going on downtown, but I don't really see that happening.

It's gotten way better here over the last five years. It's slow, but year over year, I can say each year that it's gotten better.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:47 PM

17 posts, read 32,502 times
I have a question 4 the people that live right Downtown or nearby, what is the reason for living Downtown? It seems so crowded on weekdays then it's suddenly empty after all the workers go home. Seems eerily quiet at night, nothing much open except a few bars or pubs. People still need to drive or take the bus 2 get groceries or most basic needs. Downtown is also a concrete-asphalt forest. The lack of green spaces holds in the heat and that's 1 thing PHX could use less of.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor A View Post
I have a question 4 the people that live right Downtown or nearby, what is the reason for living Downtown? It seems so crowded on weekdays then it's suddenly empty after all the workers go home. Seems eerily quiet at night, nothing much open except a few bars or pubs. People still need to drive or take the bus 2 get groceries or most basic needs. Downtown is also a concrete-asphalt forest. The lack of green spaces holds in the heat and that's 1 thing PHX could use less of.
When some people here talk about living "downtown" they don't always mean living in the high rise condos/apts downtown between, say, Fillmore and Jackson Sts.-- they are often referring to the neighborhoods just to the north of downtown, which are actually green in terms of trees, grass, etc., and have a lot of architectural variety. There is more going on downtown in the evenings than there used to be, and that will continue to gradually get better. So, there's things to do without traveling too far; the light rail helps with that. Grocery shopping is a short drive. For those who work in the central corridor, it's a good option.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:21 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,284,603 times
Quote:
The problem with downtown Phoenix and the lack of vibracy can be attributed to the fact that very few people have lived downtown for many years. More people living in an urban core has a tendency to liven things up, and decreases the feelings of living in a crowded concrete jungle by day & ghost town by night. With the addition of ASU's downtown campus, some lofts, and highrise condos, there are more people living in central Phoenix now than 10 or 15 years ago, but there still needs to be a greater population in order to meet the demand for grocery stores, and other things in the central core. Build more residential highrises (other than luxury condos), bring more entertainment downtown, and the basic services will move in.

I agree that Phoenix needs less of a heat island, but that is pretty much of a problem all over the metro area except in the far flung outlying areas. I think the heat island effect can be partially attributed to all the concerete & asphalt, and lack of shade & grass in the suburban developments. Look at all the cookie cutter neighborhoods that have rock yards & little or no grass/shade trees. That certainly doesn't do anything for heat relief.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:31 PM

6,408 posts, read 9,000,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
When some people here talk about living "downtown" they don't always mean living in the high rise condos/apts downtown between, say, Fillmore and Jackson Sts.-- they are often referring to the neighborhoods just to the north of downtown, which are actually green in terms of trees, grass, etc., and have a lot of architectural variety.
Agreed. The term "downtown" has a different meaning here than other places. It amuses me a bit as I think "downtown" is used very liberally here.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:44 PM

568 posts, read 1,207,491 times
Quote:
To answer your question (I live in a historic district downtown):

1) For my job, I have to travel all over the valley, but mostly to the east valley nowadays. What I find is, I am always going in the opposite direction of the awful rush hour, regardless of whether it's morning or night. In fact, I can't remember ever being caught in bumper-to-bumper traffic in the morning on my way to Mesa. I wouldn't live in a place just because of this factor, but it does make my mornings start out very nice and stress-free; I hate being late to work! Also, I'm equidistant to most points in the valley, so most places I want to see never take more than 1/2 hr to get to, whether it be in Tempe or Glendale.

2) Have you ever seen any of the historic district neighborhoods? I fell in love with Willo the first time I saw it, and then became even more charmed when I had the opportunity to interact with some of its residents. Even though I ended up in Coronado because Willo was too pricey for me, there's something very special about these neighborhoods, my own included. I know and am very fond of all my neighbors; it reminds me of the type of neighborhood that I grew up in which people hang outside on front porches, walk dogs, stop and chat for awhile. In short, it really feels like a community, rather than a monotonous suburb with cookie-cutter everything, in which people quickly drive into their car garages and avoid any contact with the outside world. Some people like and crave that, but I'd find it depressing and alienating. You should try to come to one of the annual home tours in Willo/Encanto/Coronado this spring to check out some of the great architecture...as well as renovation projects. And it's def an exception to the rule with more grass and shade trees in abundance around here. I couldn't live in an HOA environment that is typical of the suburbs, either, because as an amateur gardener, I don't want to be stuck with the same old Oleanders-n-Lantanas scheme. Also, particular to gardening, is the fact that, because of the warmer city temps, I can actually get away with growing some stuff that's more tropical in nature (our frosts aren't as cold).

3) It's a modest start, but there are quite a few mom-and-pop restaurants and stores(especially around 7th St). The economy makes it tough for such businesses to survive, I'm sure, but I think if things turn around, people will be more willing to spend more income on such entertainment. If you ever watch the show 'Check, Please' on PBS, you'll notice many small upstart restaurants being featured, that are doing some very creative things. When I think of suburbs, I think of chains, which are sometimes nice, but not good for those unexpected moments of joy. There's also some small-scale but quality theater and arts going on. You should try checking out First Friday sometime...it's more modern and experimental art but still good fun.

4) Burton Barr Library. Yes, I know there are better libraries in the country, and I've been to some of them, but Burton Barr is accessible and has plenty to offer for my needs (I'm not a student but somewhat nerdy). Since I'm on a budget, the library is nice to have nearby!

5) Yes, the public transportation system still leaves a lot to be desired, but I'm not sure the impression that we don't have access to grocery stores is a valid one! In fact, I've got a Safeway less than a mile away, a Frye's about a mile further, and a Basha's as well. The truth is, in Phoenix during the summer, very few people who can afford a car are going to be using light-rail or bus to tote around a bunch of groceries...it's too darn hot.

Frankly, I love it here, even though the heat this year seemed a bit more unbearable than usual. But now that it's cooled off finally, all is forgiven. To be happy, sometimes one must have a short memory. I guess this is also why I continue to be a Cardinals fan!

Old 11-08-2011, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the late reply. I've been gone for a few days.

I live and work downtown, and I hate commuting. THat's reason #1 right there. If it takes you 45 minutes to drive to work in the morning and the same to come home, you are effectively taking a two week vacation in your car each year. That's nuts. It was not the gas money for me. It was the time.

It depends on what part of downtown you live in. I live in a nice area. There is a Safeway within walking distance, plus a small downtown store/farmer's market that is pretty awesome. More shopping can be had just ten minutes away (non-peak freeway hours) up on Camelback and 20th street area.

It is somewhat empty when the workers go home, but it is a ton better than it was some years ago. There are, in fact, a number of small bars and local places here that are open later, but they are often hidden away in strange places.

Your comments about the lack of green are telling me that you don't know the green neighborhoods down here. They are here. You just don't know the area. There are also the open vacant lots too, but that's another problem... one that has been getting better with recent development (new ASU and U of A buildings, among others).

Crime is slightly higher down here, but my personal home is very secure. I go out and jog at night and have been jogging for years down here and feel perfectly safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area