Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2011, 03:58 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,990 times

Advertisements

I drove thru the Roosevelt area in Phoenix today. Is it any good or scary? I did NOT see bars on the windows or graffitti. Im Hispanic but look anglo and I dont no tude from any vatos there cause Im thinkig bout buying a house soon.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,069,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
Im Hispanic but look anglo
gee, Erik....is that a good thing or a bad thing??!!!!.....sounds like you got it all covered, vato!....I think that's an up-and-coming 'hood....good luck!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:14 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,994,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
I drove thru the Roosevelt area in Phoenix today. Is it any good or scary? I did NOT see bars on the windows or graffitti. Im Hispanic but look anglo and I dont no tude from any vatos there cause Im thinkig bout buying a house soon.
To me the area looks like a part of time that was once a slum be seeing an upturn. There's newer apartments near Roosevelt & Grand sitting among some older homes. Things get nicer as you head east towards Central. Once the streets hit it becomes hipster central until about 7th St. Have not made it past there.

Cool area, though. It's the frontline for First Friday each month too. I'd def. look into that area.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:20 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,747,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
To me the area looks like a part of time that was once a slum be seeing an upturn. There's newer apartments near Roosevelt & Grand sitting among some older homes. Things get nicer as you head east towards Central. Once the streets hit it becomes hipster central until about 7th St. Have not made it past there.
None of that is Garfield, which is between 7th and 16th Streets, Roosevelt and Van Buren.

Garfield looks to me like a place that is ripe for gentrification but it really hasn't happened yet. I could be wrong, but I would bet that there is still a lot of crime there.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:06 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
None of that is Garfield, which is between 7th and 16th Streets, Roosevelt and Van Buren.

Garfield looks to me like a place that is ripe for gentrification but it really hasn't happened yet. I could be wrong, but I would bet that there is still a lot of crime there.
I think youre onto something there. That Garfield is gonna get better real soon.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:40 AM

72 posts, read 137,413 times
I would say the east and west sides of 7th are quite different.

The west side, around the Roosevelt st, is more gentrified, with activities to middle class people. I see few graffiti in the district. There are still crimes, and vandalizing the community pool.

The east side, which is the Garfield district, is quite different. I believe it's still vibrant, yet totally different style. The one of only two places I saw metal bars over the counter in American, is a small store there (The other place is the Chinese embassy at Houston). But that's 6 years ago, I don't know whether it's improved or not.

My more intimate experience with that district for the past 3 years is almost all limited to Verde Park. To me, this is the most boisterous park after sun set in Phoenix. There are always basket ball and volleyball games, sometimes soccer. In the community center, there are games and dancing classes. Children from toddler to teenager running around, they just come and go by themselves. Yet, I would say 90% of the people are Latinos, and some African American (mostly teenagers). I see, occasionally, Whites, but I'm not sure whether they feel comfortable, because very few of them are regulars.

I have friends live in the Portland 38. One of my friend says that the community is ok, they have only one Graffiti event yet (Although he said that he prevent one by calling the police).

Old 06-22-2011, 12:07 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
If I recall, the Roosevelt area between the sevens (as it is called) has been revitalized ... especially west of Central Avenue. I wouldn't recommend the Garfield district. I've never really been in there, but I have heard many times about gang activity and it being a higher crime area. If you're looking for a safe, attractive neighborhood in the inner city, Garfield isn't the best. Why not try Palmcroft, Willo, or Encanto? They are more expensive, but the safety and upkeep of the neighborhoods are worth the higher price as far as I'm concerned.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:33 AM

190 posts, read 449,841 times
I looked at that house on E. Holly today - totally renovated - with a huge diving pool in the yard - for under 120k.... next to a school .... the wall fence to the house next along the road had tagging on it - quite discouraging.... just can't like people scribbling on private property - But it was nice to see a well done re-do - no cheapo Ikea cabinets - but nice ones - nice appliances etc... The pool was filled to overflowing so my agent shut off the water hose ... whoa.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:16 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,628,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCoChef View Post
I looked at that house on E. Holly today - totally renovated - with a huge diving pool in the yard - for under 120k.... next to a school .... the wall fence to the house next along the road had tagging on it - quite discouraging.... just can't like people scribbling on private property - But it was nice to see a well done re-do - no cheapo Ikea cabinets - but nice ones - nice appliances etc... The pool was filled to overflowing so my agent shut off the water hose ... whoa.
Don't look for graffiti, look for fresh paint or paint that doesn't match. Real estate people paint an area themselves until the house sells. Also watch out when you are being shown houses, if the sales person keeps weaving around the neighborhood before you get to the house they are avoiding the bad areas.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:29 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCoChef View Post
Many times, you are going to find homes located next to schools less desirable due to all the calling cards kids leave behind, such as graffiti, etc. This is especially true in older neighborhoods that don't have HOA management. Not that I'm crazy about HOAs, but they are pretty effective in keeping the riff raff down to a minimum.

Even though the house may have been renovated, that doesn't necessarily mean the neighborhood it's in is going to be anything worthwhile. Again, stay away from homes next to schools. Kids have a tendency to ruin neighborhoods. That's why communities like Sun City look so pristine, and districts like Garfield do not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area