Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 11:18 PM

190 posts, read 450,819 times

Advertisements

I got to thinking about best usage of money when moving into a house new to you as far as updating goes...

I suppose if you live in that house the rest of your life - it matters little what order you do things... But as life sometimes throws curveballs - we may have to move or want to move...

So the house I'm waiting on now is a short sale.... I could say it's move in ready. But the things that would bother me the most would be the floor, wall colors and then it grows from there.

I am clueless as to how to tackle this.... The kitchen has functional 'white' appliances that were probably new in 2002. The counters are old ?formica style - the sink stainless, dble and functional. Cupboards - well brown and 'the standard issue'........ Truly all of it I could live with - but it's not what I want.

The bathroom has the tub with the glass rolling/sliding door on it - I despise that - yes it works fine - but it drives me nuts.... The toilets I need to have the taller comfort/disability kind - while several new houses have these automatically the older ones don't.

So what do you do? If I update now - and move in 7 years - all the updates will be 'old' and not appealing to a prospective buyer.... Some say the stainless steel appliances are going to a warm bronze - and I've already seen the new washer/dryer sets in that color. Do you just wait till the current items 'break' and when 2 out of 3 no longer work do - you go for an overhaul then? I have the money to minorly update now - but in the future may not...Stainless steel everything is what many want - I just like the better layout options - 3 and 4 door frig's etc.

To me granite counter tops are a 'one day' must-have just because I cook professionally - and at home often forget the gentle care a home counter top needs - I slam, dice, chop and put red hot items anywhere at work - and at home rarely but regretfully the same - I ruin counters on occasion everywhere I go!

So in order -- what will get the most payoff - and how do you choose which project trumps the other as 'first' ?? I would love energy efficient window shutters/shades or treatments - the mini blinds in this house now just don't cut it...Windows hopefully will be fine for awhile put in - in 2002

For me - before I move in - I'd put down hardwood floors (or high quality laminate) everywhere but the kitchen and bath's - tile them. I'd paint the walls a pretty neutral with some coordinating trim... that's all that's mandatory I guess to me... Does anyone utilize carpet these days - such as in bedrooms? I love the look of wood and rugs - but honestly wouldn't mind a nice carpet in my bedroom - has carpet become a thing of the past in newer homes? I'd just use wood if carpet is seen as a detriment to home value.

Should I swap out appliances immediately and do the granite counter tops now before moving to avoid the mess - and just be done with it? Or go whole hog and change a wall - put in wall ovens too? <--- they are easier for me who has mobility issues.... OR just use what's in there now...

Bathrooms - ugh.... do you commit to doing both at the same time - or one at a time over time.... My biggest concern is losing the glass shower sliding door - that can't happen fast enough - the higher toilets - perhaps I should keep one lower in case a family has kids and I move one day? I do need one higher toilet - the seat raisers are awful and just more to clean...

So curious what would you do? If you had a small budget of say 30K - and had to do a whole house 'minorly'? I'd love to hear your stories and ideas - Arizona living -- I'm such a rookie - this is my first summer and I'm still trying to get used to 'hiding' out during the prettiest time of the year for much of the country - cuz it's just too dang hot outside! I love it though and committed to adjusting - if you can do it - so can I!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 06:40 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,815,059 times
I know you like wood, but tile is more popular in this area. It's cooler, doesn't get scratched, and won't have to be refinished.

My suggestion is to use tile in the kitchen, great room, hallways and bath. It looks much better being consistent than having tile one place and wood in another.

Use carpet in bedrooms. Some people tile the bedrooms also, but many people don't like that. The norm is to the tile traffic areas, and carpet bedrooms, and use a nice neutral paint with a darker accent wall.

Great Rooms can have large throw rugs in front of couches.

My personal preference would be to do it all now and get it over with. Here's the sequence I would use.

Replace windows (before doing the floor-they can be done before the kitchen)

Paint (By painting first it won't matter if some paint is splashed on the floor)

Replace blinds

Modify the kitchen including granite counter tops (hold off on floor for now - new appliances will go in after the new floor is in - remove the old appliances, place the floor, then put in the new appliances)

Modify the baths (except the toilet. Leave the toilet until you're ready to redo the floor. Remove the toilet, install the new floor, install the new toilet. Spend a few extra dollars and get the slow close toilet seats.

Add the tile floors

Add the carpet
(last)

I suggest going to look at model homes to see how they're doing their kitchens, baths, floors and walls. Look at a lot of floor tile designs.

Remember that while you're going to paint before the tile and carpet goes in, they all have to be chosen together. The wall paint MUST blend well the carpet, tile and granite counter tops, and kitchen cabinets.

New style ceiling fans, and light fixtures are very important also. Again you want consistency with the same style flowing throughout the home. This makes it more appealing to the masses when selling it.

Don't forget the door knobs, etc. Everything should be in the same style.

Before getting started, make yourself a flow chart of tasks, and then ask yourself it it makes sense to do one project before another, as I've listed above.

Your $30k is a good budget, but you will probably end up closer to $40k. You may be able to do a lot of your work yourself. But unless you're very experienced at laying tile, I highly suggest you choose a good tile layer, and see some of their work before hiring them. If you get a bad tile floor job, it will be noticed by anyone walking in the room.

You may not like the tub with a glass door, however, they are popular. People want the option of showering or taking a bath. If it's on the second floor, you definitely want a shower door to prevent water damage to the ceiling below.

• I would remodel the entire bath room, leaving the tub in place.
  • Add tile around the bath tub wall, with a shampoo/soap insert
  • Add a new shower door with thick glass so that the quality of the door is evident, instead of the flimsy tract slider doors.
  • Add tile wainscotting around the lower walls
  • Change cabinets
  • Use granite counter top (same as the kitchen - just plan on buying enough for kitchen and baths.
  • Use one of the modern type sinks
  • Change mirrors
  • Change light fixtures
  • Change water/shower faucets
  • Change toilets (use slow close lids)
  • Tile floor

Now you have a first class updated bath, and even if it's slightly outdated in 10 years it will still look great and be consistent with the rest of the house.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 AM

39,149 posts, read 51,440,315 times
Replace windows? Please do some research on this before you jump in if energy is your concern. This is a popular mod that people coming from colder climates assume works here. Dual panes have little added value in a cooling climate like ours. The temperature difference is far less in cooling and the heat gain is mostly radiant heat which two panes of glass transmit about the same as one. Low-E helps but you will NEVER recover the costs in electricity savings. They make send in a new build, of course, but as a retrofit you are literally throwing money out the windows. You would be much smarter to screen the windows with landscaping, sun screening, or even roll-ups ($$).

Otherwise, it's kitchen and baths. The rest of it is a guaranteed loss so unless it matters, don't bother. Also, outdoors is big here. A nicely landscaped back yard oasis is a big selling feature (to me anyway).

Last edited by Ponderosa; 06-26-2011 at 09:23 AM..

Old 06-26-2011, 11:37 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,100,807 times
Capt Bill and Ponderosa make good comments, as always....

Ponderosa is correct in that kitchen and bathroom re-dos reap the most return on your investment, but not all of it, on average....keep your costs under control as you re-do....look around for sales, specials, etc....you may get rebates from SRP, APS, the water company for energy saving appliances and water-saving toilets....

since I haven't taken a tub since I was about 11, I recently had my standard tub/shower converted to a walk-in shower with a very small curb, new tile, and an expensive (!) glass frameless door that opens in and out...a bit pricey, but I like it a lot, it's very practical, and will look good at a possible resale.....

look for ultra low-flow toilets and a possible rebate for them.....

since your kitchen is mostly functional now, I'd hold off on it for now....kitchen re-dos are expensive....

paint is a very good and cheap way to update....be neat and professional....take your time....

wood and tile (tasteful), I read, will always be in style....but be conservative with your design choice....

Old 06-26-2011, 02:40 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,200,403 times
Hello -
Congratulations on your new home. I have to agree with the previous posters, good advice all around. If you do have mobility issues, I would consider leaving the house entirely carpetless, including the bedrooms. The selection of area rugs these days is wonderful. In addition, I would take a look at the new "wood look" tile. Within about the last four years, it has really improved dramatically. You have to go to a place that sells only flooring to get to look at a good-sized sample. There is one store at 59th Ave and Bell that has a huge selection. I don't think it would hurt your resale value at all. These days, buyers usually both have to work to qualify for the mortgage, and it is much easier/quicker to keep a [bare] floor clean rather than cleaning wall-to-wall carpet. Some of the buyer preference is related to time issues for time-strapped buyers.
The other thing - I agree that a nice backyard is a great resale point here in Arizona. At the bare minimum, I would put money into a covered patio and some type of drip system and landscape plants. I would do front and back. Another item I know would make your life easier would be slide-out drawers inside your lower kitchen cupboards. They are on my wish-list !!!

Old 06-26-2011, 08:37 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,745,691 times
If you're looking for the most "bang for your buck", start with paint... it's much cheaper, faster & easier to have the place sprayed if you don't live there yet... For an inexpensive upgrade think about wide baseboard moldings - you can add them to most houses for well under $1k (installed & painted)

A cheap kitchen upgrade is new countertops & hardware - under $300 if you do it yourself...

Tile is best done when you're not living in the house as well - check out a place called "construction lots" downtown, they have great sales, like 99 cent per square foot for (nice!) 20-inch porcelain tile.. Figure another buck a square foot to install it if you look around.

Appliances, buy used - pick a saturday morning, get a stack of $20's for deposits & fire up your computer - http://phoenix.craigslist.org/ start searching at 8am, hit the road by nine, & pick up your purchases the next day. You'll save at least half off retail if you're shrewd.

I wouldn't worry about selling in the future - most houses in Phoenix never get remodeled, so if you've done anything at all to the house you're ahead of the game. Extra points if you can resist the urge to paint the kid's bedrooms purple or ASU red!

Whatever you do, don't over-upgrade unless it's something you will enjoy - no one will ever notice (or pay extra for) that $500 ceiling fan, or those $30 cabinet pulls. Buy quality, basic materials.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:25 PM

Wow! I am going to print off all of these great suggestions - they make really good sense! I do not have the house yet - it's a short sale in progress - should know in one to three weeks --- but if it does work out (hoping hoping) - then this is what I needed all the suggestions for. Having a joint condition (Ehlers- Danlos) - connective tissue rare thing lol........ I desire to make things not only beautiful but functional - d/t these artificial joints <--- I know TMI ;-) But the new W&D sets that are on pedastals --- the great idea of roll out lower cabinets, the higher potty seats, the easier the kitchen and bath the better - it just gets harder each and every day to do normal stuff.....

I wish there was a floor surface that would 'give' a little - carpet with quality pad feels really good on the feet - but cleaning and upkeep isn't fun....I think wood gives more than tile - Tile can be pretty - but the standard white with dark grey grout isn't the look I was after - yet it's been in many homes I've seen including this one. I'll have to check out what other surfaces might be better for musculoskeletal issues - that could still be pretty - not astro turf lol... Maybe just pretty tile afterall - I saw leather on TV - that was interesting for sure!

No kids - so the extra rooms - well one an office/exercise machine thing perhaps - multi-function room - a guest room and my room......

I love the landscape importance - I'll get someone out for the front yard - after I get the HOA papers and look at 'rules' etc...... The back yard is pretty much good to go - but if I have someone out I'll get an assessment there as well.

Went to Lowe's tonight and at several thousand bucks for new stuff -- used looks tempting - but while it makes sense for a lot of people - I don't have a truck to bring stuff home anymore - I don't have an 'installer' to level the things etc... So we'll see.......... I had a washer dryer set my brother bought used - after years he gave it to me - I moved it across the country - then moved again and gave it to my mover - 7 years later hired the same mover who said it had finally finally just quit working! Tons of years of service - I could hardly believe it - and it was free to two of us and on sale for one of us lol...

Distinct disadvantage in limited ability to DIY --- but maybe I can coax my brother down - if the sale goes through......

Again thanks for the great suggestions!!!!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:09 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,745,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCoChef View Post
I don't have a truck to bring stuff home anymore - I don't have an 'installer' to level the things etc... So we'll see..........
Once again, check craigslist - there are guys who will pick up & deliver appliances & furniture you buy anywhere in the valley. Also, if you get family out here, you can rent a truck from either Lowes or HD for cheaper than a U-Haul... you don't have to use that truck just for stuff bought there.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:27 AM

Default Dang Zippyman!

You are a wealth of helpful information and again I am grateful..........I too late learned I could buy moving boxes at Home Depot for a mere fraction of the cost of UHaul's boxes.........my mover was in cahoots with his buddy who owned the UHaul in CA - so told me to go there for boxes - then when I got a second mover - he told me about Home Depot's box prices - OMG - comparatively - they felt practically free!

I feel much more organized -- studied the homes photos again - and re-prioritized per the suggestions here - I think I'll be able to spend wisely thanks to what I've learned here.... If anyone else wants to share please do as well!

Does anyone have any particular loyalty to Home Depot over Lowe's or the other way around?

Each has tried to tempt me to buy during their 4th of July sale - even before I've secured the home - telling me they'd store my purchases!

Lowe's claiming they are this generations "Sears" for appliances, Home depot offering lots of information gratis which I found nice... But haven't spent a dime yet at either place...

Again many thanks for the truck info and to everyone else!

Old 06-27-2011, 05:12 PM

45 posts, read 64,432 times
oh wow! I just moved into a new home in February, and I'm struggling with compiling a similar rookie-list. "New" home to me, not-so-new in terms of its age. Fountain Hills, built in 1986 - and I don't think there's been a whole lot of new/updated anything since it was first built.

Been in it four months now and I find my list is constantly evolving and being re-prioritized. There are some things I thought I'd change right away, but I've decided I kinda like, after all - and other things that were much farther down the list are quickly moving up. It's a little bit of a mixed bag between things I want (because, well...I just want them), and things my real estate agent suggested/appraiser noted between my house and some of the nearby comps

In many ways, I lucked out big time. The house has great bones, it's very well built, very well insulated (I have those double pane windows, and I don't know whether it's the insulation, the windows or a combination of both, but the house is 20 degrees cooler inside than outside, before I even turn the a/c on) and a killer 180 degree view of Four Peaks and the rest of the Mazatzal Mountains

But like many of the older homes in FH...it's pretty dated. Brass fixtures everywhere, bad track lighting, and some odd, odd, odd idiosynchrasies.

First thing I did before I even moved in was paint it, top to bottom. Facing the wall of thousands of paint chips was terrifying (what if I chose the wrong color by a smidgen of the wrong undertone!?!?!?), but eventually found a good combination of neutral colors. Made a world of difference immediately! The house was VERY 80's when I moved in (I can almost guarantee the original paint was on the walls) - I have a fair amount of confidence it's now arrived into the current millenium. BIG bang for not a lot of bucks!

When I first saw the house, I thought I wanted to change out the ceramic tile flooring, but after having the place thoroughly cleaned and (as aforementioned) painted - they look GREAT! And they've certainly been a "cool" boon the last few days. The tiles will be staying!

Hope to re-do the fireplace before the year is over - right now it's got 4" square white-ish tiles all over it (very 80's again). Looking to do a little rebuild and some rock/stone veneer. Then next year, I'll refinish the kitchen cabinets, take them darker and replace the awful white knobs. At first I thought I wanted a built-in kitchen island (there's loads of floor space for one), but now I'm torn between that or a big farmhouse work-table, or a commercial grade prep table. A less-permanent workstation option is currently winning the argument in my head.

I originally thought I wanted to re-do the master bathroom, because it only had a shower and no tub - but I've gotten used to having a small football field for a shower and I don't think I want to give it up.

Outside, I've got a big wrap-around patio with a fabulous view - but I honestly don't know what they were thinking with how a lot of it is laid out. Eventually I think I want to take down the two itty-bitty patio coverings (seriously, I don't know what they were thinking) and build a pergola across the entire back of the house and incorporate some sort of fire feature and water feature.

Beyond that...I dunno. Ask me again in a week, when I've changed my mind another thousand times

Big dreams, moderate budget - but I have no plans to move any time soon, I don't need everything done right-now, and I have a strong streak of "I WILL make it happen!"

Good luck with your list and enjoy your new home!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area