Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 04:44 PM

190 posts, read 450,081 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone....

Does anyone have the time to tell me about the Phoenix/Scottsdale water-river-lake system? For housing and or recreation?

When I drive by subs here I see boats docked - I think this is McCormick Ranch maybe? Well anyway close to Shea and FLW - not far are properties on water...

Then I've read about 'the waterfront' and I don't know what that is or where that is...

I thought I read about something like 'Rivertown'? too... Some folks here have mentioned going to the lake - do we have a bunch of lakes around that I don't know about? The only one I've heard of is Roosevelt Lake.

I see that Talking Stick tall building but never drove to it - is that on the water? Do we actually have a Waterfront area with shops and things to do?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 05:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
The Scottsdale "Waterfront" is a shopping/dining area at Scottsdale Rd and Camelback, along the Arizona Canal. I have no idea what "Rivertown" is. Talking Stick Resort on the Salt River reservation is nowhere near water.

Roosevelt Lake is the largest of several lakes formed by dams along the Salt/Verde River system. Others are Saguaro and Bartlett Lakes (the two closest to the eastern parts of the Valley, and Canyon Lake (home of the Dolly Steamboat-- a really fun ride around the lake, (which has some high cliffs around it on which bighorn sheep are often seen).

There are some developments with man made lakes, like McCormick Ranch, the Lakes in Tempe, and Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert, just to name a few.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:38 PM

190 posts, read 450,081 times
Default Thank You....

I think I'll go to that waterfront area for dinner tonight --- I love checking out new areas - I have yet to exhaust them - been here 9 months already! I would love to see Bighorn Sheep!

Do any of the lakes have concession stands or restaurants?

Man made or otherwise - raised on the Great Lakes and Living on the Ocean has me wanting to see water - big time :-)

Old 07-03-2011, 07:02 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,791,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCoChef View Post
I think I'll go to that waterfront area for dinner tonight --- I love checking out new areas - I have yet to exhaust them - been here 9 months already! I would love to see Bighorn Sheep!

Do any of the lakes have concession stands or restaurants?

Man made or otherwise - raised on the Great Lakes and Living on the Ocean has me wanting to see water - big time :-)
Canyon Lake has a restaurant: Canyon Lake Arizona - Lakeside Restaurant and Cantina - Area Activities

Old 07-03-2011, 09:40 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
You can do a dinner cruise on the Dolly Steamboat sometime, too.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:32 PM

19,449 posts, read 27,897,754 times
Saguoro Lake also has a restaurant - quite good, actually, but a bit overpriced, IMO. Big servings, though, and lovely scenery. Yes, they have a boat tour and boat rentals.

As far as bighorn sheep, we had a pontoon that we kept i'n a slip there for a couple of years. Sorry, but we never spotted any great wildlife. However, the Verde Valley Canyon Railway trips were terrific and did give us a great view of some wildlife - but no water.

Old 07-04-2011, 12:10 PM

2,154 posts, read 5,184,408 times
Quote:
Hi everyone....

When I drive by subs here I see boats docked - I think this is McCormick Ranch maybe? Well anyway close to Shea and FLW - not far are properties on water...

Thank you!
This area is is called Scottsdale Ranch and there are quite a few homes and condos adjacent to the water. Some people even have small boats that they use to cruise the lake and visit their neighbors. It is private with no real recreation access.

There are several similar communities around the valley in Glendale, Peoria, Tempe, Gilbert just to name a few.

As the others have stated there are several recreation lakes for swimming, camping and boating.

Tempe Town Lake is probably the most convenient if you just want to visit the water front for a few hours.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:55 PM

267 posts, read 693,646 times
Arizona Sailing Foundation teaches youth and adult sailing at Tempe Town Lake, which is also very popular for rowing. When the weather is nice, the Friday afternoon happy hour cruise on Saguaro Lake is nice; we saw a bald eagle and osprey, plus wild bikinis in their natural habitat. Kiwanis Park in Tempe has a pond with boat rentals if I remember right. Could someone confirm that?

Old 07-09-2011, 11:07 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,593,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
...Kiwanis Park in Tempe has a pond with boat rentals if I remember right. Could someone confirm that?
Yes,

Wheelfunrentals.com

Old 07-09-2011, 11:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,076,577 times
Quote:

I thought I read about something like 'Rivertown'? too...
maybe this is Mesa Riverview (is that the name of it?), a shopping center just off 202 a few miles E of 101 in N Mesa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area