Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 07:34 AM

49 posts, read 332,004 times

Advertisements

Do you have foundation problems with homes in your are due to the dryness of the soil?

Petra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 07:42 AM

343 posts, read 552,109 times
no........

Old 08-09-2007, 07:42 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Most of the builders here in Vistancia are using post tension slab now. We actually have some expansive soil conditions here. I have heard of only a handful of homes here that had some excessive settlement, most have faired well. I think you are looking for homes down in Chandler and we are up in the foothills, n. Peoria. Conditions vary all over Phoenix. If you find a community you like, ask the builder to show you what system they use. There might be a soils report available.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:09 AM
jco

2,121 posts, read 6,450,420 times
You used to have to upgrade to post tension slab, but I don't know of a builder who doesn't use it anymore. It seemed like homes built 2004 or after all had post tension slabs. When we looked before this, some did and some didn't.

It really depends on the type of soil you build on, not the dryness of it.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:46 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
I hear the biggest reason for this is because they start building before the concrete is totally set, dry. Supposedly, you should wait 30 days before putting the weight of a house on it, but its obvious many builders dont want to wait that long. Sometimes 3 days is too long for some.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:50 PM

16 posts, read 119,822 times
I work as a professional geotechnical engineer and engineering geologist in Phoenix, so I have a little knowledge on this subject...

The relative dryness of the soils does not, in and of itself, cause problems with foundations in the arid Southwest; however, depending on the type of soils, when they experience increases in moisture due to precipitation, irrigation, or transpiration from being confined by floor slabs, the foundations may either experience settlement due to compression/collapse of soils, or heave due to swelling of clay-rich soils. In other areas of the country with shallow water tables and relatively moist soils, foundations will typically settle farther, but over a longer period of time as the water is squeezed out by the foundation loads. There are also highly expansive soils that cause severe foundation heave problems in Colorado, Califrornia, New Mexico, and Texas.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:04 PM

31 posts, read 136,536 times
I would be careful post tension slabs are NOT a cure all especially in expansive soils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And there are some builders out there that just DO NOT CARE and never treat the soil like they should in the first place or follow proper procedures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would recommend DOING YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!! BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:23 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,953,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwullen View Post
Do you have foundation problems with homes in your are due to the dryness of the soil?

Petra

I know many folks in Palm Valley that did

Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazy View Post
I would be careful post tension slabs are NOT a cure all especially in expansive soils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And there are some builders out there that just DO NOT CARE and never treat the soil like they should in the first place or follow proper procedures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would recommend DOING YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!! BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!!!

Post tension can also be deadly, for those of you who know how it works and what can happen if......

Old 06-19-2008, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81bluewater View Post

Petra

hi,

i just joined. my house is built on expansive soil. hoping to find some answers from others with this problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area