Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 12:39 PM

45 posts, read 177,085 times

Advertisements

There are two different power companies apparently, SRP and APS. From what it seems, SRP is way more reasonable with their rates, wheras APS takes full advantage of their monopoly in their areas.

How much should I expect to pay in AC costs for a house in the 1k - 2k sq ft range, for both power companies?

This is assuming I keep the thermostat around 75, but have it turned off when I'm not at home, and when I'm sleeping... When I'm sleeping, I'd resort to using a window unit in the bedroom.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC83 View Post
There are two different power companies apparently, SRP and APS. From what it seems, SRP is way more reasonable with their rates, wheras APS takes full advantage of their monopoly in their areas.

How much should I expect to pay in AC costs for a house in the 1k - 2k sq ft range, for both power companies?

This is assuming I keep the thermostat around 75, but have it turned off when I'm not at home, and when I'm sleeping... When I'm sleeping, I'd resort to using a window unit in the bedroom.
Impossible to say. There are too many other variables. (besides the variation between 1000 and 1000 square feet) Age/efficiency of unit, airtightness of house, insulation, orientation of house, shade around windows, etc.

Turning it off completely when you are not at home is not the most efficient way to do things. Turn it up, but not off... the unit will work harder to cool the house to 75 when you come home if you shut it off completely. Also consider time of use and managed payment plans to reduce/manage costs.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Impossible to say. There are too many other variables. (besides the variation between 1000 and 1000 square feet) Age/efficiency of unit, airtightness of house, insulation, orientation of house, shade around windows, etc.

Turning it off completely when you are not at home is not the most efficient way to do things. Turn it up, but not off... the unit will work harder to cool the house to 75 when you come home if you shut it off completely. Also consider time of use and managed payment plans to reduce/manage costs.
Then lets make it 1500 sq ft.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:08 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
My guess would be about 200-250, if that. Forget the window idea and get a time of day rate so it's cheap at night. You will probably find it comfortable at 78-80 during the day at least - especially after that July bill comes in.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Then lets make it 1500 sq ft.
There are still too many variables. Insulation, orientation, shade trees, etc.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Forget the window idea and get a time of day rate so it's cheap at night. You will probably find it comfortable at 78-80 during the day at least - especially after that July bill comes in.
Agreed! A window unit will gobble energy.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:56 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:

It sounds like you're looking for "worst case-best case" scenarios.

I can give you one for APS - 1566 square feet, 1987 built home, with tons of energy upgrades - heat-pump water heater, R50 insulation in the attic, new windows & doors, 18 seer two-stage heat pump. Family of two - thermostat set and left at 74 degrees during the cooling season. 7am-7pm time of use plan.

Worst bill ever? 1785 kw, or $220 (august of last year). Bestest bill ever? - 884 kw, or $110 with taxes & fees(March of this year). Keep in mind, we've had 3 price increases in the past two years...

I have friends who live in older (non-upgraded) homes of about the same size who pay closer to $500 to keep the house at 80 degrees. There's a huge difference in comfort (and cost) between 74 degrees & 80 degrees...

There are quite a few 1970's homes out here with r12~ish in the attic - literally, NOT COOL!

If you dry a lot of clothes (or do your laundry at the wrong time) with an electric dryer, you could blow these numbers up big time.

Many in Phoenix adjust their "comfort level" to what they can afford - I have a friend who lives in a 3900 sq-ft house who pays $800/mo to keep it "comfortable" at 78 degrees...

I wouldn't rule out the window unit - just make sure to get one big enough for that bedroom & seal the opening well - night-time electricity is cheap & many newer window units are actually very efficient.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
It sounds like you're looking for "worst case-best case" scenarios.

I can give you one for APS - 1566 square feet, 1987 built home, with tons of energy upgrades - heat-pump water heater, R50 insulation in the attic, new windows & doors, 18 seer two-stage heat pump. Family of two - thermostat set and left at 74 degrees during the cooling season. 7am-7pm time of use plan.

Worst bill ever? 1785 kw, or $220 (august of last year). Bestest bill ever? - 884 kw, or $110 with taxes & fees(March of this year). Keep in mind, we've had 3 price increases in the past two years...

I have friends who live in older (non-upgraded) homes of about the same size who pay closer to $500 to keep the house at 80 degrees. There's a huge difference in comfort (and cost) between 74 degrees & 80 degrees...

There are quite a few 1970's homes out here with r12~ish in the attic - literally, NOT COOL!

If you dry a lot of clothes (or do your laundry at the wrong time) with an electric dryer, you could blow these numbers up big time.

Many in Phoenix adjust their "comfort level" to what they can afford - I have a friend who lives in a 3900 sq-ft house who pays $800/mo to keep it "comfortable" at 78 degrees...

I wouldn't rule out the window unit - just make sure to get one big enough for that bedroom & seal the opening well - night-time electricity is cheap & many newer window units are actually very efficient.
You always have great info. Thanks!

Old 07-11-2011, 06:12 PM

OK... here's my plan.

If it gets too expensive, I might just have my TV, computer, etc... in my bedroom... and just have that AC'ed at 75-80.

The rest of the house will have the thermostat left at 90. I currently live in Casper WY, and I don't even have central air. I spend most of my days in my living room with no AC, and sleep in my bedroom with a room AC unit.

I have been known to sit in my living room, at the computer, during the day, at 100 degree weather (and it feels even hotter indoors, since I don't have adequate ventilation... and the electronics in my living room make the room much hotter), and I get by with just a fan. I just suffer through it.

So I figure if I can handle 100 degree weather here... I can handle AC set at 90 for central, and lower for the bedroom... where I would spend most of the day, in order to save money on AC, and still be comfortable. Would that work?

Old 07-11-2011, 06:17 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: