Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:12 PM

24 posts, read 78,452 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I'll be working in Chandler starting in early September. I'm a 27-year-old single guy who wants a nice, quiet, peaceful environment. I figure I'll end up in a one-bedroom apartment for the short term.

I'd like to be relatively close to work so that I may ride my bike (~3 miles) but also as equidistant from grocery stores, fashion center, etc. I also enjoy running and wonder where there may be running trails, hills, etc.

The center of what seems to be my desirable location is near the 101 (Price Fwy) and Ray or Warner Roads. I love my Trader Joe's, Costco, etc., and Sprouts seems like an amazing produce market. Having these things within a radius of a couple miles is ideal, I guess, but good housing/location for other reasons is also important and I'm open-minded.

I've checked craigslist here and there but many of the apt listings seem bogus - they all have the same one or two realty logos. Is that how it works out there? I feel that there are probably many more less-advertised landlords with few buildings.

I seem to come across posts about Chandler being unsafe, having gangs, etc. every now and then and am wondering what are the areas in which I wouldn't want to live?

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
101 and Warner or Ray are very nice, safe areas. I don't know what to tell you about the searches you've been doing, as I don't know which sites you've been using or what "realty" companies are coming up. There's a nice complex at the 101 and Ray, San something (I forget the name). (northeast corner, or close to the corner)

Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
That's a great area! I can't help with the search for an apt (I've owned since '91), but you will find lots of good choices. You should also include condo and townhouse rentals.
I know of several people who have found places on rental.com, though most people I know have used craigslist and just driving around the neighborhood.

When you settle it, also check out Whole Foods Market (like an upscale Sprouts), Lee Lee (probably the largest and most diverse Asian market you will anyplace) and Pro's Ranch Market (similar to Lee Lee except it emphasizes Hispanic and Latin American foods, with some other areas reasonably well represented. It's truly like spending a few hours in Mexico.)

You'll also find a huge variety of Thai, Japanese, Korean, Indian, Chinese, Vietnamese, authentic Mexican, gringo Mexican, chain restaurants within a 10 minute drive of that intersection. One of my favorite areas of Phoenix metro.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the info - from Google Maps those areas do seem pretty nice and serene. Compared to other parts of Chandler, is this area more expensive? I don't want to pay a significant premium just for a difference of maybe a couple miles.

I've been checking craigslist in the East Valley apartments for rent section, searching for "Chandler" and browsing all those results.

Are there better resources for Phoenix area housing/apartments besides craigslist?

RE dining, it doesn't seem there is much Middle Eastern/Mediterranean dining in Chandler. That mostly seems to be in Scottsdale.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:06 PM

Step over into Tempe for dining. More variety in ethnic dining choices there. I don't know that the area you are looking at is significantly more than other areas of similar age. There's probably older places nearer downtown that are cheaper, but they are also older and may not offer the same amenities. They are trying to revitalize downtown in some respects.

It depends on what you are looking for.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:29 PM

I don't know much about the downtown area - how big is it? The center seems about 3 miles or so from the area I mentioned in the OP.

I'm looking for quality, affordability, and quietness. I'm a young, single guy so while I don't want to be secluded I also don't want to be in a rowdy area with mostly young people who party, are noisy, etc.

In general what are the best areas of Chandler from the perspective of things I've mentioned? I'm sure there are locations or aspects of the town's layout that I have not considered or come across, so I'm happy to hear any suggestions you all have!

Old 07-12-2011, 11:34 PM

I don't think Chandler has any particular area or apartment complex that is overrun with young partiers. The area you mentioned to start with, as well as what you'd call west Chandler, say from Rural over to 1-10, are both nice areas.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:33 AM

Cool. How about East and South Chandler? Any distinction among the different areas?

Really appreciate the discussion!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:10 AM

18 posts, read 39,951 times
The area you are looking in is nice, and safe. Chandler doesn't have "big crime" so you don't have much to worry about. You are close to a Whole Foods, like a previous poster said, which is on Ray & the 101. Sprouts is a fabulous place!!! I shop there weekly just for the produce. The main difference between the area of Chandler you asked about and East/South Chandler is mostly age. East/South Chandler tends to be newer, especially along the 202-San Tan corridor. But there are many, many nice apartment complexes here. I wouldn't use Craigslist, since it sounds like you aren't finding much there. Try an apartment search finder (just Google "apartments in Chandler, AZ" and you'll find the big ones). They show you pictures of the nice complexes and price ranges. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2011, 09:54 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,277,207 times
Check out the san ventura apartments on ray road, west of 101. There's several apartment complexes on federal way, just south of ray, you can find them on various websites. There's also a nice complex just a few blocks south of whole foods on the east side of 101. A google map search in that area may give specific apartment names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area