Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 02:55 PM

14 posts, read 38,545 times

Advertisements

I just got an offer from Intel in Chandler, and I will be moving to the Phoenix area from Florida in about a month, I don't know anyone in the area. I'm a 29 year-old single woman. I would like to find a furnished one bedroom apartment with Washer/Dryer in a safe apartment complex. I heard some places in Chandler can be dangerous...what are the areas in which you would not recommend a single woman to live? Also, I would like to be close to grocery stores, fashion center, etc. Any recommendations with price ranges will be really helpful.

While I would like to be relatively close to work, I don't wanna live in a place where I will be too secluded though. I would rather live close to people around my age, as I will want to make new friends and socialize. How is Chandler? Do you think it would be worth it to maybe find a place midway between Phoenix and Chandler or is it better to just find something in Chandler? What is the nightlife like?

How is public transportation? Do people usually drive to work?

How diverse is the area? What are other things that you think I should know about the area before moving?

Thanks for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 04:59 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Chandler is a great city to live in. Lots of nice complexes. You might want to be over near Chandler Fashion Center. Lots of shopping and restaurants. There's a nice Mark Taylor complex, for example, off Ray Rd north of the 101 freeway. South Tempe is also an option.

Chandler is relatively diverse, partly due to companies like Intel and relative proximity to ASU in Tempe.
As far as getting to know people, there's all sorts of opportunities for that-- where you live, where you work, meetup groups and clubs, volunteer work, and through nightlife.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:27 PM

77 posts, read 123,237 times
Places in Chandler dangerous? Oh my. I was in Mesa and Chandler for a project which is what made me want to move to the valley, so I can say nothing in those areas worried me. Chandler isn't the spot for nightlife though, but Tempe is close so is Scottsdale. I was around the mall area which is less than 10 minutes from Intel if a remember right. Tons of apartments there. You will need a car otherwise it is a hassle. Phoenix is diverse but it is a different diversity than what I was used to living in the south

Old 05-19-2013, 05:41 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,760 times
Chandler is a bedroom community of Phoenix. There are no safety issues. I would say if you are going to be working there, live there too. Just do a computer search of apartments that have the amenities you want in Chandler, and then physically tour them when you get here. It's hard to say where you will make new friends. Work is a good start, and you can easily drive to whatever night spots you are attracted to from there. Through trial and error you will find your clique.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 PM

Thanks! I will keep that in mind. I was kinda worried because I read somewhere that there were some 'gangs' in the area and a drug dealing problem... I am not sure how reliable that source was though.

I would be very grateful if some people could give me names of apartment complex they have lived in and liked, and the proximity they were from Intel in Chandler.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:56 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Oh, good heavens. The exaggerated stuff people hear. I'm not saying there are no gang members or drug deals within the Chandler city limits, but in the areas anywhere within a five mile radius at LEAST of Intel, not an issue of concern.

I can try to go by that complex I'm thinking of, as I don't remember the name. But, if you go to the Mark Taylor website and search in Chandler, you wi find it, and maybe others

Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 PM

68 posts, read 161,976 times
Welcome to Intel I have been working here for a year and a few months and I love it. You can also search for apartments in the Ahatukee area. I know a few people that have apartments in Ahatukee and they love it. I think the drive time to intel (Depending on what campus you will be working at) will range from 10 to 15 minutes. You can always do a search on forrent.com for any city you are looking for apartments.

- Mark

Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,445 times
The only bad part of Chandler is around Arizona Ave and Pecos. The best areas are going to be around chandler fashion square or the west chandler, south Tempe, auwatukee area.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 PM

77 posts, read 123,237 times
carmelle888, are you moving sight unseen? Intel is close to all the major shopping in Chandler. Nice looking campus. Do they do furnished apartments anymore? That may be hard to find

Old 05-19-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veek View Post
carmelle888, are you moving sight unseen? Intel is close to all the major shopping in Chandler. Nice looking campus. Do they do furnished apartments anymore? That may be hard to find
yeah, I have never been to Chandler, I have been to Phoenix once for a conference that lasted only 3 days, but I didn't see much of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area