Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:01 AM

284 posts, read 700,501 times

Advertisements

Good thread! We are getting close to replacing the appliances that came with the house and will need new countertops eventually so need to have some coordination in mind. The kitchen now has an almond refrigerator and dishwasher and a stainless steel range. The countertops are almond Formica (which stains easily). We took out the old plastic covered fluorescent lights and had the ceiling repainted (almost matches, weren't happy with the job but you have to look closely to notice) and put in a new fluorescent fixture. The floor will stay - most of our house has eight inch Italian tile in a mottled orange/tan pattern, hard to describe but very southwesty looking - and the cupboards wlll stay - medium oak. The walls are off-white, so the room is too vanilla.
Both of us dislike stainless steel and granite countertops, so we are thinking almond appliances and maybe tile countertops - a friend has some nice ones - in a green or light brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 11:12 AM

29 posts, read 68,819 times
Concrete counter tops are the cat's behind. Modern, chic, look great, and the best part....your neighbor definitely won't have them.

Old 07-17-2011, 04:53 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
glad this thread I started is generating interest....it might actually keep people from making a horrible and/or costly mistake!....

yes, concrete countertops, I think, will not go out of style if they aren't in some weird color...but they are very, very expensive, currently....making them yourself is possible, but requires a good bit of planning, skill and patience

crown molding, to me, is a bit of a current trend that may not last....my opinion.....but it does have a traditional look, if that's what you want

yes, as said, I think many of those recessed kitchen ceilings are evidence of florescent lighting once being up in there....I can see how that lighting was popular back in the 70s because it did provide a whole lot of even, bright lighting for kitchen tasks, but now it seems glaring and institutional, I guess.....

does anybody think these recessed "can" ceiling lights will go out (become dated, I mean!)?....hope not, as I just had a bunch put in to replace older fixtures.....to me, they seem clean, low-key, subtle, and the light quality from them is very, very nice if you use the standard can bulbs and not CFLs.....

haven't taken a tub since I was 11 or so, so I had my standard tub/shower taken out and put in a walk-in shower only....one of the best things I've done....can get pricey, or not if you're careful.....the glass doors can be pricey....how many of you really fill up that huge sunken Roman tub every day?!...

Old 07-17-2011, 04:56 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianR View Post
maybe tile countertops - a friend has some nice ones - in a green or light brown.
be careful of the grout eventually getting stained (darkened)....may want to keep other ideas in mind rather than tile where water and other stuff will affect the grout....my experience

Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
be careful of the grout eventually getting stained (darkened)....may want to keep other ideas in mind rather than tile where water and other stuff will affect the grout....my experience
The grout needs to be sealed from time to time, but keeping it clean looking is easier than most think. I had tile counters in two baths and my kitchen in a prior home. When the grout no longer looked clean and pretty, I used to buy a $1 bottle of acrylic craft paint (really!) and simply paint the grout. Not only was it a snap to freshen up, I was able to completely change the color of the grout on any decorating whim. I was afraid the paint would run or otherwise be a disaster but, much to my surprise, it never did. After painting it once, it only required further touch ups once every year or two.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
glad this thread I started is generating interest....it might actually keep people from making a horrible and/or costly mistake!....

yes, concrete countertops, I think, will not go out of style if they aren't in some weird color...but they are very, very expensive, currently....making them yourself is possible, but requires a good bit of planning, skill and patience

crown molding, to me, is a bit of a current trend that may not last....my opinion.....but it does have a traditional look, if that's what you want

yes, as said, I think many of those recessed kitchen ceilings are evidence of florescent lighting once being up in there....I can see how that lighting was popular back in the 70s because it did provide a whole lot of even, bright lighting for kitchen tasks, but now it seems glaring and institutional, I guess.....

does anybody think these recessed "can" ceiling lights will go out (become dated, I mean!)?....hope not, as I just had a bunch put in to replace older fixtures.....to me, they seem clean, low-key, subtle, and the light quality from them is very, very nice if you use the standard can bulbs and not CFLs.....

haven't taken a tub since I was 11 or so, so I had my standard tub/shower taken out and put in a walk-in shower only....one of the best things I've done....can get pricey, or not if you're careful.....the glass doors can be pricey....how many of you really fill up that huge sunken Roman tub every day?!...
Crown molding...the desert house has none and people buying are looking for touches similar to where they come from...cheap fix.

Tub, whether you use or not...if with jets...priceless when looking at a house...mine is plain and used twice in 6 months...but if had jets, might be different....we also have a nice walk-in shower in the master. I would take out the tub and replace if not renting.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:40 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:

does anybody think these recessed "can" ceiling lights will go out (become dated, I mean!)?....hope not, as I just had a bunch put in to replace older fixtures.....to me, they seem clean, low-key, subtle, and the light quality from them is very, very nice if you use the standard can bulbs and not CFLs........
I don't think they will go out of style anytime soon but I could picture then being smaller sized as the years go on (compact fluorescent bulbs though more light than they did just a cuple years ago).

Old 07-18-2011, 02:57 PM

45 posts, read 64,248 times
lol - love this thread! I'm determined to do my house ONCE, and then I don't want to do it again!

Having said that...color me a fan of stainless appliances. But, it's not a fad-thing for me - I've loved them for 30-40 decades!!! Probably from having worked in several restaurants in the past...it just feels more like a "real" kitchen to me, if there's stainless everywhere

But I'm still gonna stick with my existing tile floors - this summer has proved their worth to me!

Old 07-18-2011, 04:18 PM

190 posts, read 449,584 times
I saw a casual home TV show where the homeowner busted up some cool vases and other glass/tile things she had - and inlaid those bits along with decorative little tiles - put all of that in a mold concrete form - after it set - she had a one of a kind totally unique concrete kitchen counter top ... can't get any more custom than that - I did hear though that you have to make sure your base cabinetry can support the wt. of the concrete - if you go with a nice 2 inch thick amount it can way up to 22 pounds a foot! It's also a DIY in a garage - making a template, the mold, pouring, removing and then installing - sealing with wax ... I think concrete is cheap.... Installed must be pricey though

Old 07-18-2011, 05:08 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,575,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
...What I see a lot of around here which I don't particularly care for are the doorless master bathrooms, with a water closet. What's up with that? Firstly, if one partner gets up in the middle of the night or earlier than the other, the glaring light from the doorless room can very annoying to the remaining sleeper; the water runnnig in the sink can seem quite loud in the still of the night, without a door to buffer some of that sound. ....
Completely agree for the same reasons. We recently remodeled our master bath and added a door. Much better now .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area