Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 04:54 PM

8,340 posts, read 13,479,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I'm waiting for Michael Jackson to post a reply to this question! ! ! ! !
She said "my daughter" not "my son".

...btw, you are one sick puppy Bummer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 05:45 PM

17 posts, read 49,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
5 year olds and dirt=definitely lol! ;-)

Actually the poster recommending covering is right. See attached (I think we can post links?). And a good sun screen. Only other thing you can do is keep her out of the sun....

The Skin Cancer Foundation - Sun-Protective Clothing: Get in on the Trend (broken link)
I wish I could keep her indoors during the peak hours..(and when is it not the peak hour) but I cant do anything about the school policy.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:46 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,730,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
She said "my daughter" not "my son".

...btw, you are one sick puppy Bummer!
Hmmmmmmm, TurcoLoco, "sick puppy"?

I'VE DEFINITELY BEEN CALLED WORSE!
! ! ! !

Old 08-10-2007, 05:55 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,887,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I'm waiting for Michael Jackson to post a reply to this question! ! ! ! !
LOL... - Good one Bummer! I hope MJ doesn't read this, you don't want him to tell you to "Go To Your Room!"

Old 08-12-2007, 01:46 PM

17 posts, read 49,687 times
looking for serious help guys..........

Old 08-12-2007, 02:01 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,176,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelamzaidi View Post
looking for serious help guys..........
I think you have gotten some good advice so far. So what if people want to have some fun. We can't be serious all the time.

I don't think you should worry too much about it. Kids have been going to school here for a very long time and they know what to do with the heat and the kids. Many playgrounds have canopy's over them to block out the sun and some schools have PE in the earlier part of the day. And, recess is very short these days (like 15 mins?). While your child is in your care, do what you can. A good sun block, sunglasses, and a hat will do the trick. No need to worry too much about this subject.

Something to worry about MORE is watching kids around WATER. We have way too many drownings, many more than kids having sun stroke.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:31 PM

124 posts, read 413,726 times
There is nothing my son gets very dark and I have tried sunblock it doesnt work! You are in AZ your daughter is going to get dark if she is outside. You are going to give her a complex about it. My husband his mom did that with him and now he wont even go to the pool with us cause he is so worried about getting dark. Just leave it alone.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:00 AM

617 posts, read 2,824,020 times
Sun is sun. If you want to block it out completely, you would have to put long sleeves,a hat, and long pants on your daughter, or keep her inside. Both are not options, as it is too hot in AZ to wear long sleeves, and school policy doesn't let the kids stay inside during peak hours. If she tans easily, she will still tan no matter how high SPF sunblock you put on her. I agree with Leaving AZ... you are going to give her a complex if you talk to much about it. If she tans, she tans. As long as you block out the bad UV rays with sunblock, you are doing your part to prevent skin cancer.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:36 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,088,403 times
This question you've posted makes me curious. Your worried, not about skin
cancer, but that she doesn't look good dark? Being a very light skinned 1/2 african american, I have to ask you this question, are you african american? I ask because, white people don't usually worry about getting too dark in AZ. They love a tan! But, we do. Especially when we go 2 or 3 shades darker here in the summer. I avoid the sun because of this also. I'm just curious, as this would clear up this threads question for me. White people don't usually worry about "getting dark" because they can't usually get that dark, and or they want to, and have to go to a tanning booth. Just playing at school certainly wouldn't make her to dark, unless she was of some ethnicity. Just curious.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,176,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
This question you've posted makes me curious. Your worried, not about skin
cancer, but that she doesn't look good dark? Being a very light skinned 1/2 african american, I have to ask you this question, are you african american? I ask because, white people don't usually worry about getting too dark in AZ. They love a tan! But, we do. Especially when we go 2 or 3 shades darker here in the summer. I avoid the sun because of this also. I'm just curious, as this would clear up this threads question for me. White people don't usually worry about "getting dark" because they can't usually get that dark, and or they want to, and have to go to a tanning booth. Just playing at school certainly wouldn't make her to dark, unless she was of some ethnicity. Just curious.
Interesting question, Twiggy. I wonder if this is the reason. I thought this thread was a little "off" as I've never heard anyone who was worried about their child getting too dark. I also agree with Leaving AZ with giving her a complex, or a feeling of not being good enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: