Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 944 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just moved to Ahwatukee (Foothills) 2 months ago from Laguna Beach California. We both lived here 12 years ago. I have to say how much this place has changed and grown so much over the years. We don't know anyone here and I am not currently working. I wanted to get everything done around the house before I star work. I guess we are having a hard time finding things to do in town. I seem to not enjoy the hot summer as I once did living here. My husband is a mountain biker and he doesn't mind the heat at all. We are mid 40's without children. Any advise would be helpful. We really need to get out to meet some folks, just not sure where to go...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 02:51 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Maybe this will help?

The Mountain Bike Association of Arizona - HOME

Bicycle Clubs

Home - Arizona Bicycle Club

I agree: Phoenix is not the easiest place to find new social friends. Most of ours have come from jobs, and then those people introduced us to other people. We've also developed a social circle from our hobbies, which was why I pulled the above links for you. Wine tasting events can often be good meet and greets, if you're into wine, of course. Same goes for cooking classes, group dance lessons, etc.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:59 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Well you will certainly meet people once you start to work. As far as your neighborhood it should start to come alive around October. You will probably start meeting people you live by once it cools a bit, although some are still out in the mornings during the summer running and walking their dogs. If you're an early riser you could go out for a run with your husband and probably meet the neighborhood joggers.
It should happen naturally with time, just give it a year or so. 2 months isn't that long. You could try meet and greet groups but I would just meet people gradually over a bit more time through work and functions throughout the neighborhood like avon parties, holiday events, etc. You could always join a gym or church as well. A lot of people are gone for the summer, or on vacations, etc. Just be patient.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:24 PM

57 posts, read 181,059 times
I think the website meetup.com might be helpful. You can search for social groups based off your interests. I have used it up in the Seattle area with great success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: