Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 2,742 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: snip Trust me I searched the boards for answers most of them were dated, or didn't tell me what I didn't know already.

I'm moving to the Phoenix Area before this winter, Oct @ the latest - (MN Winters ) and I'm trying to decide where to live. My fiancee, 3 young kids (3 & 18months) and I are thinking East Valley (schools, low crime) but then again West Valley (cost). We expect to be in one location for a long time so we can buy soon. Are there RTO/lease purchase options in AZ and if so where would I find those listings? I fully expect to rent 1st, I just don't want to overspend. Job wise she can transfer to any of several different cities so I don't believe that will dictate where we live. And I work from home mostly. If I had to put in order importance I'd say: schools, then cost.

Some negatives I found after researching:
East Valley
- on the higher side of our budget
- places that are affordable are further out
- houses seem so close together

West Valley
- not a ton of good schools to choose from (greatschools.com)
- higher crime rates (can't remember the source)
- seems desolate

We are heading there in a week to check out the area and weather. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-28-2011 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: Discussing moderation in the forums is not permitted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,688,524 times
West Valley might "technically" be higher crime rate, but it's not like you are aware of it day to day in your life. Crime everywhere out here in "shadier" neighborhoods like any metro. Crime is more localized to those places, in general.
West Valley is not desolate--it's just less populated, but there's plenty of people everywhere in the metro! Some like the vibe of West Valley. Some like vibe of East Valley. Depend on you.
Good luck in your search.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:41 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,493,041 times
And, in some areas, the neighborhood vibe in a west Valley suburb would be pretty much indistinguishable from many areas in the east Valley. Coming out here will help you a lot in sorting out what you are looking for. Enjoy your visit!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:10 PM

298 posts, read 752,932 times
A large factor in your decision on where to live should be where you will be working. Commuting in the Valley during rush hour is far more difficult than you are used to in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis-St. Paul, so you will not want to create a horrendous commute for yourself.

Another thing to consider is the type of work or profession both you and your fiancee are in. In Phoenix, The East Valley is the more white collar professional side of the metro area whereas the west valley is the more blue collar warehouse industrial side of the metro.

This is a very similar comparrison to Minneapolis in that the southern suburbs like: Bloomington, Edina, Eden Prairie,St. Louis Park are your white collar office clientel whereas the northern suburbs such as: Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Coon Rapids, Blaine are your blue collar, factory, industrial parts of the Twin Cities.

Check out the Arizona Department of Education website for school test scores for each district. Keep in mind that in many area's the elementary school districts are totally separate from the high school districts unlike Minnesota where all schools elementary through high school are in the same district. That in Arizona is called a Unified School District, which there are a few of here in the Valley.

One other thing you may want to consider are hoobies you like to partake in during free time. If you like the boutiques and shops of Scottsdale you may not want to live on the outskirts such as Apache Junction or Buckeye. On the other hand if being close to recreation opportunities along the Apache Trail, the Salt River or the High Country, your housing choises will probably be different.

I would recommend you rent first for one year first ,so you can determine your prefferenced prior to making a commitment. If you graduated from a college in Minnesota, get in touch with your alumni association; your school most likely has many, many alumni members in Phoenix and throughout Arizona.

Feel free to let us know what you find on your visit. It is good to visit now so you can experience the heat just like I recommend anyone considering a Twin Cities move or anywhere in Minnesota to visit in January or February and determine whether they can handle the cold.

Best of luck!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 PM

860 posts, read 2,720,117 times
LOL mn55110, are "hoobies" what you do during a Haboob to stay inside?

I second the above advice, we are very glad we rented as the valley is so very large its hard to tell what the areas are like even with several visits. Your work commute is a big factor, as well as school districts and housing prices.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:35 PM

39,111 posts, read 51,356,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mn55110 View Post
A large factor in your decision on where to live should be where you will be working. Commuting in the Valley during rush hour is far more difficult than you are used to in the Twin Cities of Minneapolis-St. Paul, so you will not want to create a horrendous commute for yourself.

Another thing to consider is the type of work or profession both you and your fiancee are in. In Phoenix, The East Valley is the more white collar professional side of the metro area whereas the west valley is the more blue collar warehouse industrial side of the metro.

This is a very similar comparrison to Minneapolis in that the southern suburbs like: Bloomington, Edina, Eden Prairie,St. Louis Park are your white collar office clientel whereas the northern suburbs such as: Brooklyn Park, Brooklyn Center, Coon Rapids, Blaine are your blue collar, factory, industrial parts of the Twin Cities.

Check out the Arizona Department of Education website for school test scores for each district. Keep in mind that in many area's the elementary school districts are totally separate from the high school districts unlike Minnesota where all schools elementary through high school are in the same district. That in Arizona is called a Unified School District, which there are a few of here in the Valley.

One other thing you may want to consider are hoobies you like to partake in during free time. If you like the boutiques and shops of Scottsdale you may not want to live on the outskirts such as Apache Junction or Buckeye. On the other hand if being close to recreation opportunities along the Apache Trail, the Salt River or the High Country, your housing choises will probably be different.

I would recommend you rent first for one year first ,so you can determine your prefferenced prior to making a commitment. If you graduated from a college in Minnesota, get in touch with your alumni association; your school most likely has many, many alumni members in Phoenix and throughout Arizona.

Feel free to let us know what you find on your visit. It is good to visit now so you can experience the heat just like I recommend anyone considering a Twin Cities move or anywhere in Minnesota to visit in January or February and determine whether they can handle the cold.u Best of luck!
Utter nonsense and tired old stereotypes about east versus west. Maybe west Phoenix is blue collar but Goodyear, Litchfield Park most of Surprise, Verrado in Buckeye, huge swaths of Glendale and Peoria are every bit as upscale and white collar as anything in the east valley save the northernmost reaches of Scottsdale and there are even pockets in the west on par with that as well.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:54 PM

200 posts, read 448,427 times
I love the elderly gal ahead of me in line at the meat counter at the Buckeye Frys. She was having a perfectly nice conversation with me about moving from scottsdale and getting away from all the rude people, then in the next breath she picks a fight with a clerk over the lunchmeat she chose from the case not being "roast beef" enough for her. Classic.

If I have to live in Arizona, I wouldn't live anywhere other than Buckeye. I love how laid back and blue collar working class much of it is.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,902,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Utter nonsense and tired old stereotypes about east versus west. Maybe west Phoenix is blue collar but Goodyear, Litchfield Park most of Surprise, Verrado in Buckeye, huge swaths of Glendale and Peoria are every bit as upscale and white collar as anything in the east valley save the northernmost reaches of Scottsdale and there are even pockets in the west on par with that as well.
Maryvale, Laveen, SW Phoenix. Worst neighborhoods in Arizona, all on West side.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:56 AM

39,111 posts, read 51,356,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Maryvale, Laveen, SW Phoenix. Worst neighborhoods in Arizona, all on West side.
The west side of the City of PHOENIX, not the metro area.

My point was the sweeping generalization that everything west of central? was "blue collar" was absurd and my point is correct. There are many upscale communities on the west side that are on par with those on the east side. Telling the OP that the west side is all blue collar and implying that the professionals all live on the other side was wrong.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 07-29-2011 at 07:05 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,627,765 times
I'm sure you will love it despite which side of town you pick. A lot better than MN winters! It's nice you have the opportunity to move anywhere in this economy. You will find a great deal here on home prices. That alone will make life easier.
Both sides have some nice schools and shopping. You won't notice much of a difference in the suburbs. The big picture for you is finding employment and a school you're happy with. After that finding a home will be a piece of cake.
How exciting for you, I wish you lots of luck. You are smart to visit first. Try and get a place with a pool, your kids will really enjoy swimming all summer long. You will love AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area