Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Perks of living: museums, beaches, good schools, backyard swimming pools, cultural facilities, hiking trails

Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 AM

7 posts, read 18,126 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
we are currently researching az for a move from Northern Jersey. My DH and I are 33, and we have a 3 yr old and a 5 month old. I started job hunting..which has been tough , I work in the fashion industry in NY..but I expect to make a career change and I in the midst of launching my own online business.

I came across your site today..I've been reading mostly the phoenix forum on about.com.

We have been consdiering the areas of Chandler and GIlbert..but of course I just got a call from a recruiter for a position in Tuscon..but I havent heard good things about Tuscon, so I dont know about that.

but anyway, we're a modern family, and we're used to the museums, the beach and all of the perks of living in Jersey..would you say that the places we are looking at are good choices? Its also very important for us to be in a school system..even though my son will only start preschool this fall..we'd like to be there for him to start.

We're planning to rent for at least a year until we "feel" our way into a home.

any help..is Chandler & Gilbert worth looking at...or is there some other "gem" that we maybe missing??

thanks a ton!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2007, 09:32 AM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
In the Phoenix metro area, you'll do fine in terms of museums, but there's no beach to speak of. Backyard swimming pools are the norm instead. You'll have to travel to California or Mexico if you want a beach experience.

In the Phoenix area, Chandler and Gilbert are certainly popular for families with young children. Other choices I would recommend considering are Tempe, Ahwatukee (southeastern corner of Phoenix), Central Scottsdale (especially McCormick Ranch), Arcadia (east side of Phoenix), and North Central Phoenix (especially those areas in the Madison School District). A lot depends on your price range, but all areas discussed so far are within a 30-minute drive of major museums, cultural facilities, and hiking trails. You can certainly obtain a bigger house for less money farther out in the suburbs, but the tradeoff will be a longer drive to many cultural and recreational amenities, not to mention most employers.

I like Tucson as well, but I don't know it well enough to recommend specific neighborhoods. You might want to post another inquiry in the Tucson forum.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:17 AM

Thank you! this certainly helps. I live in the suburbs now and I am about 30 at most from NYC. this is about as far out as I'd like to be from the city..are the areas you specified about 30 mins?

Old 02-27-2007, 11:41 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbrav View Post
Thank you! this certainly helps. I live in the suburbs now and I am about 30 at most from NYC. this is about as far out as I'd like to be from the city..are the areas you specified about 30 mins?
Depending on the traffic it can be much worse.

I moved out here from the East Coast and the biggest thing I have found out here is the predominance of the car. There are no options regarding transit, trains, etc. It's all highways, so take that into account when you calculate distances.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbrav View Post
Yes, under ideal traffic conditions. During rush hour, it could take longer -- especially for Chandler and Gilbert.

Light rail extending from the heart of Phoenix, through Tempe, and to the west end of Mesa will open in about two years, providing another option for some trips downtown.

Old 02-27-2007, 12:50 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
North Glendale (more specifically Arrowhead Ranch area) would be great as well, however the commute would put you at about 45 mins from downtown.

I think to be 30 mins away, you would have to be within 15 miles away (and maybe not take the freeways?). Or commute at off peak traffic times.

First, are you sure you will be downtown phx? You might be more north, or in a different part of the valley. Once you pinpoint your work (or your hubby's) you can then take out a map and find out what's around that.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:29 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,355 times
Depends a lot on where you'll be working and what your price range is. Chandler and Gilbert are both very nice, very family friendly and affordable too, especially compared to NJ prices. We've lived in both cities and have had nothing but positive experiences in both.

Definitely check the schools before you decide on an area. There are many nice areas but the schools may not be great. Chandler and Gilbert have very good schools, for the most part. Most of their schools on greatschools.net get 9's and 10's.

The valley is very spread out so I'd figure out the work portion first, then work on the city to live.

I'd caution you to think twice about Tucson if you're looking for big city amenties. Tucson is like a big small town. There's really not much to do there, IMO, though I know many Tucson fans will disagree with me. But I'm from the DC area and am used to having those big city entertainment and shopping options....I could never live in Tucson. However, if you're looking for more of a small town feel, Tucson would be worth considering. Some areas are very pretty.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:52 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,136,452 times
kgbrav, after reading your initial post, my intuition is screaming that this is not the right place for you. I'm not sure what I'm responding to, but I just don't think that people used to the hustle of suburban NYC in NJ would feel comfortable in this extremely different location. If you want an urban (and urbane) lifestyle, you will not find it here. As much as I love living here, I do consider it a cultureless suburb. I'm fine with that because I don't need culture, just nature. Please do considerable research before you choose this area and DEFINITELY visit beforehand. You don't mention if you've been here before. Phoenix might look good on paper, but you won't know for real until you visit. I agree with the other responders that Tucson is a step in the wrong direction in terms of a vibrant city life. It is more remotely located in the desert and feels isolated. In addition, I think crime there is higher than Phoenix and jobs are harder to get. If you choose Tucson, you might be stuck there. Sorry to be pessimistic.

Old 02-28-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
kgbrav, after reading your initial post, my intuition is screaming that this is not the right place for you. I'm not sure what I'm responding to, but I just don't think that people used to the hustle of suburban NYC in NJ would feel comfortable in this extremely different location. If you want an urban (and urbane) lifestyle, you will not find it here. As much as I love living here, I do consider it a cultureless suburb. I'm fine with that because I don't need culture, just nature. Please do considerable research before you choose this area and DEFINITELY visit beforehand. You don't mention if you've been here before. Phoenix might look good on paper, but you won't know for real until you visit. I agree with the other responders that Tucson is a step in the wrong direction in terms of a vibrant city life. It is more remotely located in the desert and feels isolated. In addition, I think crime there is higher than Phoenix and jobs are harder to get. If you choose Tucson, you might be stuck there. Sorry to be pessimistic.
For what it's worth, I grew up in the NYC suburbs (Westchester County) and I've never found Phoenix to be a cultureless suburb. I'm a regular at the Herberger Theater, the Phoenix Art Museum, the Rhythm Room, and many other cultural venues. The events I enjoy at those venues rival those in other major cities, and they are generally more accessible than they were for me in New York. Regarding "hustle," that faster pace may be felt in Manhattan, but in Westchester, Long Island, and New Jersey, the suburban pace of life is not much different from the rest of the country, including Phoenix.

For me what makes the Phoenix area so compelling is the mixture of natural attractions in the form of mountains and desert scenery with man-made attractions such as cultural facilities, restaurants, etc. It's a balance that does not exist in many other places.

I do agree with the statement that one should never make a relocation visit without first visiting the target area. Ideally, the original poster should make several visits here, with at least one during the summer heat, before making a decision.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
For what it's worth, I grew up in the NYC suburbs (Westchester County) and I've never found Phoenix to be a cultureless suburb. I'm a regular at the Herberger Theater, the Phoenix Art Museum, the Rhythm Room, and many other cultural venues. The events I enjoy at those venues rival those in other major cities, and they are generally more accessible than they were for me in New York. Regarding "hustle," that faster pace may be felt in Manhattan, but in Westchester, Long Island, and New Jersey, the suburban pace of life is not much different from the rest of the country, including Phoenix.

For me what makes the Phoenix area so compelling is the mixture of natural attractions in the form of mountains and desert scenery with man-made attractions such as cultural facilities, restaurants, etc. It's a balance that does not exist in many other places.

I do agree with the statement that one should never make a relocation visit without first visiting the target area. Ideally, the original poster should make several visits here, with at least one during the summer heat, before making a decision.
Thanks Silverbear... You know exactly where I am coming from. Sorry I didnt mean to mislead everyone that I lead this fast paced lifestyle. I mean I live in the suburbs in Jersey!! But just as Silverbear posted I like having access to these things and the reason we are looking to move out there is to slow down our "fast-paced-ness" and we're looking for more nature!!

We plan on coming out in March, and then hopefully our actual visit will match our perception and we can then put our house on the market. I appreciate all of the info. From looking at the all of the rentals, we're excited at what we see out there compared to what is here.

Can anyone recommend any rental complexes in Gilbert or Chandler. We're unsure if we're going to rent a house or go to one of the complexes that have so many amenities.

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area