Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:09 PM

30 posts, read 81,581 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm looking for some neighborhood suggestions in Goodyear, Peoria, Litchfield Park areas... I'm planning to buy a house (120k-170k) in the best possible neighborhood. Id rather pay for the neighborhood then the house.

Hoping to fly out in a couple months to check out a couple areas so please suggest some neighborhoods to check out.

My work would be in Tolleson and I would like to be as close as possible.

Married with no kids but plan to have kids in the next couple of years if that impacts your suggestions.

We are from Ohio.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 PM

19,457 posts, read 27,934,089 times
Rent. Rent. Rent. 6-12 months then buy.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:38 PM

475 posts, read 816,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3ady4aChang3 View Post
Hello I'm looking for some neighborhood suggestions in Goodyear, Peoria, Litchfield Park areas... I'm planning to buy a house (120k-170k) in the best possible neighborhood. Id rather pay for the neighborhood then the house.

Hoping to fly out in a couple months to check out a couple areas so please suggest some neighborhoods to check out.

My work would be in Tolleson and I would like to be as close as possible.

Married with no kids but plan to have kids in the next couple of years if that impacts your suggestions.

We are from Ohio.

Thanks in advance
Goodyear..maybe
Litchfield Park no
Peoria..no.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 PM

310 posts, read 1,162,560 times
Both Canyon Trails and Estrella Mountain Ranch are nice areas in Goodyear, but I agree rent for six months and decide, drive around and see what fits you best. I live in canyon trails and the commute to Tolleson would be ten to fifteen minutes...there are plenty of houses in both of these neighborhoods that are for sale and or rent. Estrella Mtn Ranch offers community pools, walking trails, lakes, hiking, a community center. The centex plan in canyon trails has a community pool.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:19 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,499,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
Goodyear..maybe
Litchfield Park no
Peoria..no.
It might be helpful to the OP if you would elaborate a bit.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:07 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,257,377 times
or not...............

especially since they have LP as a no

i've gone over the school structure here a few times and really don't have the time to type it all out again .... in general you'll have 3 district options for elementary kids in the SW valley - Liberty, Litchfield & Avondale .... Liberty will be the schools in the Estrella community .... many north of I-10 will be litchfield and most south of I-10 except Estrella will be Avondale

There are also more and more charters popping up that could leave that part of the decision less meaningful

What are you looking for in a neighborhood? What about a house (1 story v 2 story, square footage, lot size, etc)

There are a lot of really nice options in the SW Valley

Old 07-20-2011, 05:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,072,957 times
Waddell, Cortessa subdivision has all you are need.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:19 AM

30 posts, read 81,581 times
Thanks for the responses so far.

I have rented for a long time with multiple moves during that time. I am really hoping to find an area where i am confortable buying a home and get settled in immediately. My wife and I are TIRED of apartment living!

However, suggestions on nice apartments in the same general area are welcomed as well. I have not ruled that option out but would REALLY like to avoid it.

What are the negatives to Litchfield Park? From the research I have done it looks like a nice area.

The most important aspects of the neighborhood is that it is safe and clean. Preferably a newer neighborhood.

House again is not as important to me as the neighborhood. 1 OR 2 story is fine, 1600+ sq ft, 3+ bedroom, hopefully a 3 car garage (but not required) and am leaning heavily towards buying a house that already has a nice sized pool.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:43 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,499,642 times
You really need to not jump into buying too quickly, until you really know the area and find the right place for you. Litchfield Park, as well as Peoria and Glendale (particularly the northern parts of those cities) all have several nice neighborhoods. I don't think there are any negatives to Litchfield Park....keep in mind that there are really two parts to Litchfield Park, the older part "inside the wall" and newer subdivisions, particularly to the west, that have Litchfield Park addresses.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:03 AM

39,117 posts, read 51,366,781 times
I live in Estrella and would recommend it for you. Great views, great schools and a sense of community that comes from being out of town a ways that is lacking in many PHX developments. You will find homes in the high end of your price range here - that is kind of the sweet spot many of the foreclosures here run. $140 is the low end, but they have smaller lots and/or more things you need to fix up. There are probably some for less if you look, but again, they will not be perfect. The web site is not that great but here it is:

Welcome : Home Page | Estrella | Goodyear, AZ

Contrary to what the others said, if you are comfortable with the job and the drive to the job, I would buy. Why waste money on rent? The only regret you are going to have in Estrella is that you have to drive into town (min 6 miles) for many things. Most people here see that as a good trade off for not having to live in the bustle and congestion of the city. But if you decide to rent, they are available too, but they go very quickly and run about twice what it would cost on a mortgage for the same place.

You would go to Tolleson via the back roads from Estrella. Maybe 15-20 minutes and no traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area