Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 10:10 PM

461 posts, read 1,450,959 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move to Phoenix in the next year. We have planned a trip to look around in August and another in December. We are in our 30's, no children and we are looking to rent. We want an urban feel, we're not so into the country or suburban areas and we really love the "southwestern" landscaping (cactus and rock) as opposed to grass and flowers. We plan to check out Downtown Phoenix, Biltmore, Scottsdale and Tempe. From my research so far it seems like these are the nicer areas that meet our criteria. Does anyone have any suggestions for other neighborhoods or any great apartment complexes we should check out while we are there? I know we should live close to work, but I think it's important to love where you live and find work near there! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 12:07 AM

219 posts, read 779,714 times
You will not find an urban feel here whatsoever. Period. Tempe is considered about as urban as it gets, and unless you count one street that has maybe 10 restaurants and 10 bars on it as urban, that's about as urban as it gets, and in my book, is still extremely suburban.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:34 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,439,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NytoPhx View Post
You will not find an urban feel here whatsoever. Period. Tempe is considered about as urban as it gets, and unless you count one street that has maybe 10 restaurants and 10 bars on it as urban, that's about as urban as it gets, and in my book, is still extremely suburban.
Well put NYPD....I agree.

But depends on what people consider urban and where they are from. Someone that is from Hochunk, WI and that has never visited any other big cities may think that Phoenix is like Chicago("urban"). Someone from Boderek, Wyoming could think that Phoenix is urban....Someone from Chicago, NY, LA, San Fran, Miami, Honolulu, etc...will not think that phx is suburban.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 AM

We have been to Phoenix before so we understand that we are not moving to Manhattan. That said, we are looking for a place where we will have access to public transportation (we both will drive, but it's nice to not have to drive ALL the time) shops and restaurants within walking distance, major sports arenas nearby (go D-backs!) and not completely surrounded with families and children.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katimae View Post
We have been to Phoenix before so we understand that we are not moving to Manhattan. That said, we are looking for a place where we will have access to public transportation (we both will drive, but it's nice to not have to drive ALL the time) shops and restaurants within walking distance, major sports arenas nearby (go D-backs!) and not completely surrounded with families and children.
downtown phoenix, scottsdale, glendale....Kati, where are you moving from? I just don't and never will understand the "public transportation" thing in phx....WHY???I just don't.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,179,643 times
Stick with downtown Phx and the Biltmore area. You may also find it a little in Scottsdale and Tempe. Check out the light rail line and look at the areas surrounding that.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2M69 View Post
downtown phoenix, scottsdale, glendale....Kati, where are you moving from? I just don't and never will understand the "public transportation" thing in phx....WHY???I just don't.

I'm moving from Palo Alto, Ca (SF bay area) I'm originally from a small town on the east coast. I am not happy in California, but I have travelled to Arizona several times and I love it. I just like to have the option of public transportation if I want to go out and have a few drinks and don't want to drive, or if I want to go somewhere where parking is a nightmare and I don't want to deal with it.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Stick with downtown Phx and the Biltmore area. You may also find it a little in Scottsdale and Tempe. Check out the light rail line and look at the areas surrounding that.

Thank you Sablebaby, that is a really good idea to look at places around light rail. Will we be able to see where the light rail stations are in August?

Old 07-30-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I'm moving from Palo Alto, Ca (SF bay area) I'm originally from a small town on the east coast. I am not happy in California, but I have travelled to Arizona several times and I love it. I just like to have the option of public transportation if I want to go out and have a few drinks and don't want to drive, or if I want to go somewhere where parking is a nightmare and I don't want to deal with it.
Kati, AZ does not work like the other big cities like NYC for instance where no matter where you live, as long as you live in the city, you can always take bus, train or a cab...it just does not work like that. If you depend on that, I guess you're only pretty much limited to Scottsdale, Tempe, maybe downtown phx...even in scottsdale where all the "supposed" action is, I cannot recall seeing one cab my entire time there! Not sure what the light rail hours are but i doubt if it runs past 7, 8 or 9 pm? so if you wanna come home at 1 or 2 am....I guess what im saying is that you shouldn't count on any public transportation in AZ unless the sun, the moon and the stars line up! by relying on pub trans, you will have to plan your evening EXACTLY every other hour, etc...you're better off trying to find a sober driver. Good luck with everything!

Old 07-30-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
just to add to what I put on my previous post, it seems, at least in scottsdale, not too many people take the public trans after dark! and I am assuming this but I bet not too many people on this board venture out partying past 11 or 12 pm. your best bet maybe to live my mill ave. in Tempe or Old Town Scottsdale where you will be walking distance to drinking establishments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area