Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 PM

2 posts, read 4,405 times

Advertisements

I am relocating my family for work to Phoenix from Southern California. I am looking for a family friendly diverse community near my main office in Gilbert. I hear the smell in Gilbert is unbearable in Gilbert and we are considering the Chandler area as well. Looking for an upscale community without the unecessary price of Scottsdale, but of the same quality. We are a diverse family- interracial- and we have 2 young childeren( 1 and 7). I'm looking for a very family friendly area where my executive collegues will feel comfortable driving to our home for entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 06:58 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytfisher View Post
I am relocating my family for work to Phoenix from Southern California. I am looking for a family friendly diverse community near my main office in Gilbert. I hear the smell in Gilbert is unbearable in Gilbert and we are considering the Chandler area as well. Looking for an upscale community without the unecessary price of Scottsdale, but of the same quality. We are a diverse family- interracial- and we have 2 young childeren( 1 and 7). I'm looking for a very family friendly area where my executive collegues will feel comfortable driving to our home for entertaining.
I've lived in Gilbert for 7 years, and I can tell you that you have exaggerated information about the smell.

There are a few dairy farms left in Gilbert, and one in Chandler. They're gradually being sold off and developed. If you live near one of them, you'll get some of the smell sometime. I'm in Val Vista Lakes in north Gilbert, and on rare mornings when I go outside I get a faint whiff of something that reminds me of growing up on a farm. Not objectionable at all.

You are able to find what you want in both Chandler and Gilbert
. Interracial families are all over the valley. There was an interracial family on my street for 5 years; great people. The kids were great kids, friendly, and blended well with all the other neighborhood kids.

Both cities have good schools and are known to be safe, with Gilbert having the reputation of being one of the safest cities in the nation.

One of my clients was looking for the same type of home as you. It took us several months, but we finally found one in the gated Circle G area of Seville, the golf course community. It's sits on 1+ acre, with a lighted tennis court, lighted sport court, large grass area, many trees including fruit trees, pool, spa, two ramadas with built in bbq equipment, and a beautiful house with a gated courtyard and casita.

This house is perfect for entertaining executive friends.

We were looking in the South Chandler and South Gilbert area to find the size house and lot they needed. The homes in Chandler are priced higher than Gilbert, but the primary concern was the house and yard to meet their criteria, and we found it in Gilbert.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:05 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
Also dont forget some of the nicer communities in South Tempe in the area of Warner/Mclintock....

Old 08-19-2011, 09:28 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Captain Bill is right on the money. I'd only add that there ARE some terrific properties in north and NE Mesa that would fit. Many executives and pro sports guys own homes in non-HOA areas with spectacular desert and mountain views and backyards that look like small resorts. And las sendes homes compare very well to n Scottsdale communities at a far lower price tag AND lower taxes. Many people love the older homes in the orchard areas of Mesa - very large lots, beautiful mature landscaping, stately homes - some of these places deserve the term "estate" instead of "house."

Welcome to the valley, and best wishes to you and your family as you find out just how nice a place the Valley of the Sun can be.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:13 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,534 times
As a person of color myself, I understand the importance of being in a racially diverse area when raising children. I would say Chandler, Tempe, and eastern Ahwatukee, would be best. Gilbert and East Mesa are more socially conservative.

Old 08-20-2011, 06:42 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
As a person of color myself, I understand the importance of being in a racially diverse area when raising children. I would say Chandler, Tempe, and eastern Ahwatukee, would be best. Gilbert and East Mesa are more socially conservative.
Goober, your statement appears to me to be saying, in very polite terms, that Gilbert is racist, and with all due respect, I believe you are very mistaken.

Gilbert is known to be a more politically conservative town; it is primarily a bedroom community, with good schools, and one of the 14 safest cities in the country.

One will find mixed race and mixed nationality marriages throughout Gilbert, as well as throughout the valley.

The OP stated some very specific needs and concerns, one of which was "

"family friendly diverse community near my main office in Gilbert".

Since I live and work in Gilbert and have first hand experience in this area, I can say that the OP can find what he wants here.

A big concern about Gilbert was the dairy farm smell, which is exaggerated by too many people who don't even live here.

However, except for being near his main office, he can find what he's looking for in these other cities as well as in Gilbert.

Another point is that the OP will need to do research on communities himself. Anti-discrimination laws prevent Realtors from steering a client to or from any community based on the race, religious, or national origin makeup of a community.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:25 AM

50 posts, read 224,967 times
Thanks for sharing Goober13. I appreciate it, and do not think you are calling Gilbert a racist town.

Old 08-20-2011, 11:51 AM

624 posts, read 1,246,921 times
You will smell cow poop at times.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 4,405 times
Thank you all for your time and valuable information. I think I'm just going to have to see for myself

Old 08-20-2011, 02:59 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladytfisher View Post
Huh? the smell is Gilbert is unbearable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area