Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 AM

33 posts, read 70,719 times

Advertisements

My turn to narrate my story. Moved here 3 months back from NC. Big change.

U will not see greenery
no upscale brick homes, they all stucco.
Don't know whats so great about scottsdale. Just clean roads with old buildings.

Even the best area like they call Paradise Valley, Biltmore don't know whats so special there. Compare it with Ballantyne/ South Park in Charlotte or Buck Head in Atl. Paradise Valley looks old and run down compared to them.

Climate n heat is Ok.

There are lot of foreclosures and deals in so so areas. Home are still expensive in the desirable areas.

No diversity.

I might be wrong on my comments please forgive me. This was my opinion.

Last edited by abad; 09-07-2011 at 11:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 11:51 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Bon voyage! It's not for everyone, fortunately.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,246,818 times
yep ..... sounds like you should have visited before moving

Old 09-07-2011, 12:18 PM

33 posts, read 70,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
yep ..... sounds like you should have visited before moving

I did many times and loved it. Seems when u visiting u have a different outlook. or maybe I am just home sick. and with the heat almost gone, I might change my opinion.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abad View Post
I did many times and loved it. Seems when u visiting u have a different outlook. or maybe I am just home sick. and with the heat almost gone, I might change my opinion.
You picked a terrible time to come. The heat can really poison the experience by September - even for those of us who live here and know what it is like. It looks a lot nicer in December, I think.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:33 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,246,818 times
Quote:
yeah - could just be heat frustration

a lot of the things you mentioned are pretty transparent and surface level things which should be aparent on a visit ....... when fall hits and the weather cools dig into those things that you enjoyed on your visit and explore the metro in more depth ... get beyond the superficial and find what works for you

Old 09-07-2011, 01:16 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,324,401 times
Quote:
My turn to narrate my story. Moved here 3 months back from NC. Big change.

U will not see greenery
no upscale brick homes, they all stucco.
Don't know whats so great about scottsdale. Just clean roads with old buildings.

Even the best area like they call Paradise Valley, Biltmore don't know whats so special there. Compare it with Ballantyne/ South Park in Charlotte or Buck Head in Atl. Paradise Valley looks old and run down compared to them.

Climate n heat is Ok.

There are lot of foreclosures and deals in so so areas. Home are still expensive in the desirable areas.

No diversity.

I might be wrong on my comments please forgive me. This was my opinion.
Phoenix was a small town and the Valley largely rural until AC was invented and became commercially available after WW II.

You are looking in all the wrong places to see historic homes and neighborhoods with big trees/mature landscaping.

You need to come to central Phoenix for that and drive around the historic districts.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:49 PM

87 posts, read 206,380 times
I came from northeast too on end- middle of May. I moved in this block-house on middle of July. I really like this house.
Big green trees around here. My backyard have two tall green trees and neighbors have too.
Just I have complain AZ closing system. It is not same. So confuse to me because foreclosure property.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:26 PM

203 posts, read 491,923 times
"U will not see greenery": Ummm you just moved to the desert.

"no upscale brick homes, they all stucco." would a southern style old brick home look good in the desert?

"Don't know whats so great about scottsdale. Just clean roads with old buildings.Even the best area like they call Paradise Valley, Biltmore don't know whats so special there. Compare it with Ballantyne/ South Park in Charlotte or Buck Head in Atl. Paradise Valley looks old and run down compared to them." Sounds like you did a quick drive and made some assumptions. If you really drove through the town of Paradise Valley and thought it looked old and run-down, maybe you should have moved to Beverly Hills.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:33 PM

FWIW, those new brick homes in the east with the steep, dominating roofs look goofy to me when I visit there. Then there is the ubiquitous grass lawn with a lone sapling blowing in the wind. (Why oh why must they cut down all the trees to build a subdivision there?) I am one of the people who like the home styles in the southwest/CA especially in the newer developments where there are more elevations offered and paint schemes are varied and there is such a variety of vegetation. Phoenix suburban streetscapes in the new areas are really well done, IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area