Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:47 AM

1,510 posts, read 5,067,215 times

Advertisements

From HOT to HOTTER! FL to AZ -- HELP!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone.. I am a 24 y/o single female looking to move to the Phoenix area later this year, probably around Nov/Dec. I have a few questions and if anyone could help me that would be great

First of all, I dont have a job there yet. How difficult is it for a non-college grad to find a typical office/customer service job? I've been checking craigslist and jobing.com and salaries are higher than South Florida, which is where I live now. Would I be able to survive here on $11-12 an hour and live in a decent neighborhood (small 1 bedroom or studio). I do eventually want to go back to school, but I dont want to do it in Florida. I am sick of living here and I have been wanting to move out west for a few years now and Phoenix seems one of the most affordable, besides Vegas. I know I can also just go to my fall back job which is pet grooming and I know I'll make enough there, even if just until I find something else. Also, I know the PetSmart headquarters are located there, so it wouldnt be a problem getting re-hired.

That said, I've heard fairly good things about Gilbert. I'm not a party/club person, I dont mind a family oriented city. Is Gilbert, specifically 85233, safe enough for a single female to live alone? Can anyone recommend a safer area? I have a friend who lives in Buckeye (which is where I will be staying until I find a job/apt).. but I havent read many good things about it.

Like I said, I am from South Florida, Miami to be exact, so I am not new to heat waves and all the things associated with a hot climate year round. Is there a big difference between the weather in Phoenix and Miami heat-wise? Right now its 89 here but the heat index is at 98. Does the heat index affect the temperature in Phoenix as much as it does here?

My long term plans are not to stay in Phoenix forever, I eventually want to move to California, but I know I cant afford it now, so I'd like to go to school and gain some more work experience before heading out there (to Cal). But AZ seems like a decent place to live, and its got so many places surrounding it to visit (CA, NV, UT, etc). Is it possible to make weekend trips every couple of months to the surrounding areas on a budget? How long does it really take to get to these places (like San Diego, SanFran, Lake Havasu, Vegas)? Mapquest says one thing but many times its wrong.

If anyone can answer some of my questions, I would greatly appreciate it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 11:59 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Phoenix is bone dry. Its hotter than sin but dry. 98 in PHX isnt so bad, whereas 98 in Miami is horrid. When it gets over 105 is when you start to beg for cooler temps. Winters will be quite a bit colder in PHX which you may or may not like.

Ive only been to Gilberts twice and thought it was pretty decent. Its nothing to write home about, but not bad either. Id look into Tempe at your age. I know youre not a big partier, but Tempe is decent and close to Scottsdale which has the only decent nightlife in the area.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:24 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Surviving on $11 an hour would depend on how much debt you have. If you have car payments and student loans or credit card debt, then you might have some problems unless you have roommates. Rents here are not that cheap. My daughter makes a decent amount but with debts, she has roommates to survive. Do you know where in AZ you are thinking of moving? Most of the better paying jobs here also require a degree. Not that you can't find something, it just makes it easier. It might be wise to come and visit before you make the leap. Good luck.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:54 PM

Steve-o - The reason I asked about Gilbert is because my main concern is safety. What areas of Tempe can I look into, as far as zip codes go?

MotleyCrew - I have no debts. My cars paid off and the credit cards that I have are very minimal (target, macy's)... so thats not a concern for me. And believe me, rents are a LOT cheaper than in South Florida. Where I live now a 1 bedroom apt is about $1000 minimum.. same prices as California but with about 1/3 of the pay. I am thinking of Gilbert... what do you know of it?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:55 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Interesting questions, Dragon

Having live and attended school in South Floriday, I can tell you there is no comparison as far as the weather is concerned. Once the monsoons have ended (hopefully around Labor Day) the weather in Arizona is far superior. 100 Degree Temperatures with super low humidity is much less "killer" than 80 Degrees in Florida with dripping wet humidity. I dread visiting back there, let alone relocating.

As far as a job and making it out here is concerned, since you are a Pet Groomer, even with a regular job you could use that talent (definitely a talent and/or an art as far as I'm concerned) for part time extra income whenever necessary.

Good Luck!

Old 08-20-2007, 01:14 PM

Bummer - Thanks! Yeah I'm not so much concerened about income, because I know Pet Grooming is something thats pretty big out there, with PetSmart and all. My biggest concern is safety. Is it safe for a single female to live and commute in and around Gilbert/Phoenix? How does it compare in safety to South Florida? Miami itself is pretty bad, but I've lived here pretty much all my life (except for 4 years in Atlanta) and I've never had a problem here.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:25 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonofillfaith View Post
Bummer - Thanks! Yeah I'm not so much concerened about income, because I know Pet Grooming is something thats pretty big out there, with PetSmart and all. My biggest concern is safety. Is it safe for a single female to live and commute in and around Gilbert/Phoenix? How does it compare in safety to South Florida? Miami itself is pretty bad, but I've lived here pretty much all my life (except for 4 years in Atlanta) and I've never had a problem here.
Sorry, Dragon . . . I'm clueless on Safe vs UN-Safe areas in and around Phoenix because I live in Tucson BUT, from my experience with South Florida as well as Atlanta, it could not be any worse.

From your posts, it certainly sounds obvious that you are a "together" female and know how to live safely. Definitely some areas are safer than others in any city, however, your basic "airhead" is always able to find trouble anywhere anytime.

My recommendation . . . take the plunge and relocate. I did it ten years ago and have never looked back and definitely would never consider South Florida or Atlanta! ! ! ! !

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 08-20-2007, 04:19 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Steve-o - The reason I asked about Gilbert is because my main concern is safety. What areas of Tempe can I look into, as far as zip codes go?

MotleyCrew - I have no debts. My cars paid off and the credit cards that I have are very minimal (target, macy's)... so thats not a concern for me. And believe me, rents are a LOT cheaper than in South Florida. Where I live now a 1 bedroom apt is about $1000 minimum.. same prices as California but with about 1/3 of the pay. I am thinking of Gilbert... what do you know of it?

South of Baseline in Tempe. Gilbert is a good choice although some of the cheaper apts could be sketchy.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:43 PM

Bummer - Yeah I've checked the stats for all 3 cities and I'm kind of surprised that Phoenix has the lowest crime rates. Miami being the smallest city has the worst crime, and again, I've never had a problem here. Thanks for your help!!

Another question, I have found an apartment complex thats reasonably affordable, but I'm not 100% sure about the area... theyre between McQueen and Cooper Rd, on Warner, and South of Baseline Rd, which someone told me to avoid. The zip code is 85233.. can someone tell me is this a decent area? It says its in Gilbert but I want to be sure of the area.

I am going to visit Phx on Labor Day weekend and want to know if this is an area worth checking out or not.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:51 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Bummer - Yeah I've checked the stats for all 3 cities and I'm kind of surprised that Phoenix has the lowest crime rates. Miami being the smallest city has the worst crime, and again, I've never had a problem here. Thanks for your help!!

Another question, I have found an apartment complex thats reasonably affordable, but I'm not 100% sure about the area... theyre between McQueen and Cooper Rd, on Warner, and South of Baseline Rd, which someone told me to avoid. The zip code is 85233.. can someone tell me is this a decent area? It says its in Gilbert but I want to be sure of the area.

I am going to visit Phx on Labor Day weekend and want to know if this is an area worth checking out or not.

They got pretty decent reviews.
Bayside at the Islands Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Gilbert apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area