Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2011, 12:13 PM

122 posts, read 202,965 times

Advertisements

We are gathering information about warm weather cities that we may be interested in moving to. We would be coming from Washington state and since WA and AZ seem so opposite, we don't really know what to expect. We have visited a few times and have enjoyed ourselves but we want to know what it's like on a day to day basis. So, to commence ignorance:

1. We have dogs who like to stretch their legs at the dog park. Are there off leash areas? Is there a leash law? Is there a limit to how many animals you can have?
2. We hear all about scorpions and that the state must be infested. What's the deal there? I don't think they'll necessarily kill you but do scorpion bites occur frequently? What about my dogs playing in the yard? Do dogs often get bit?
3. The professional baseball team for Arizona are the Diamondbacks. Are rattlesnakes laying about all over the place, sunning themselves and waiting to bite me and my dogs?
4. We understand the heat can be as oppressive as the gloomy Seattle winters. When we visited, everything was air-conditioned. How much does it cost to cool a home say, 2,000 sq. feet?
5. Are there public swimming holes? Or does everyone just have their own pool? Stay inside in the A/C?
6. Outdoor activities: We like to run and hike. Are there running trails nearby? We took a little hike up Piestewa Peak and we know Camelback Mtn is there. What else is there to hike?
7. Arts: We also like to get some culture. What is the theater situation? Are there playhouses in the city? Festivals? Theater groups? Acting groups?
8. Beer. Oh yes. We are in the Northwest so tasty beverages are a must. While sampling beer on our last visit I noticed that the beer wasn't as bold or as heavy as I was used to. I suspect this has more to do with the weather down there since I'm sure nobody wants a heavy beer on a hot day. Are there breweries there? What about homebrewing? Stores? Clubs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 12:31 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,078,901 times
1. there are leash laws and there are off-leash bark parks....don't know about animal limits

2. the scorpion hysteria is legendary here on city-data....I've never seen one in my 36 years here in Az except in a paperweight at the airport gift shop....do a search here for other threads on scorpions

3. rattlesnakes are more scared of us than us them, I think....keep an eye out, but don't live in fear....they don't "lay about"....they'll rattle first....maybe best to keep your dog on a leash if out in grass or brush...they hibernate in the winter....don't worry about a leash in the backyard.....

4. with refrigeration (AC), maybe up to $400 in the summer per month or less....depends on your comfort level....with evaporative (swamp), less than $100....

5. public swimming pools all over....private clubs have pools....lots of private pools, but don't build a new one....buy an existing one, join a hotel pool if possible, or go to a neighbor's, or stay inside....you can also tube down the Salt (google it!!).....

6. jog along a canal, explore other trails in the Piestewa Peak area, check out South Mountain, McDowell Mountain trails, Spur Cross Ranch, Scottsdale's Hayden Indian Bend Wash greenbelt, White Tank Park, lots more

7. yes, yes, yes, yes....we's is a major, culturified, high-falutin' burg....lots to do.....Phx loses out to Seattle on the "hip" factor, though, I suppose

8. google for breweries and pubs....probably not as much as a beer center as Portland/Seattle, though....

and please look around all the many other threads here in the Phx forum that may answer your questions....lots of action here

Old 09-30-2011, 12:42 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,271,710 times
its hot and dusty forever

Old 09-30-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
its hot and dusty forever
Right now I'll take hot and dusty over cold and rainy. After 40-someodd years up here I'm just about done with it.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
1. there are leash laws and there are off-leash bark parks....don't know about animal limits

Do you know if chickens are allowed in the city?

2. the scorpion hysteria is legendary here on city-data....I've never seen one in my 36 years here in Az except in a paperweight at the airport gift shop....do a search here for other threads on scorpions

Figured as much but you never know. Scorpions are foreign to us up here.

3. rattlesnakes are more scared of us than us them, I think....keep an eye out, but don't live in fear....they don't "lay about"....they'll rattle first....maybe best to keep your dog on a leash if out in grass or brush...they hibernate in the winter....don't worry about a leash in the backyard.....

We have rattlesnakes in Eastern Washington and they sun themselves sidewalks on occasion. I've also read some things about "snake training" for dogs. I've got a smart one and a dumb one though so it might not be 100% successful for both dogs.

4. with refrigeration (AC), maybe up to $400 in the summer per month or less....depends on your comfort level....with evaporative (swamp), less than $100....

AC is another foreign thing to us up here. What's the difference between refrigeration and evaporative? We visited Austin, TX recently and the AC was too cold for us and we are used to being cold, so I'm assuming we'd not have it cranked up. I'm comfortable around 80 degrees.

5. public swimming pools all over....private clubs have pools....lots of private pools, but don't build a new one....buy an existing one, join a hotel pool if possible, or go to a neighbor's, or stay inside....you can also tube down the Salt (google it!!).....

The Salt River looks nice! But I'm thinking a nice pool in my own backyard where I can drink my adult beverages and swim clothing optional is the best way.

6. jog along a canal, explore other trails in the Piestewa Peak area, check out South Mountain, McDowell Mountain trails, Spur Cross Ranch, Scottsdale's Hayden Indian Bend Wash greenbelt, White Tank Park, lots more

We did drive along some canal and saw runners and bike riders on the trail. Seems like a nice way to get in weekday runs. I will check out the other areas you suggested.

7. yes, yes, yes, yes....we's is a major, culturified, high-falutin' burg....lots to do.....Phx loses out to Seattle on the "hip" factor, though, I suppose

Hip isn't all it's cracked up to be. One of us is an actor so we like to go to the occasional show and she'll need an outlet for the acting.

8. google for breweries and pubs....probably not as much as a beer center as Portland/Seattle, though....

Yep, I know this is the motherland of micro/macro breweries. We tried 4 Peaks brewery when we were down there and it was fine. Just not what I was used to. I also brew my own beer so if push came to shove I could brew my own hoppy goodness.

and please look around all the many other threads here in the Phx forum that may answer your questions....lots of action here
Thanks!

Last edited by zdogg; 09-30-2011 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: my additional questions were included in the quote

Old 09-30-2011, 01:18 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,681,460 times
Never saw a scorpion either in years here.
Summers are about 4 months long--over 100 to 112. August was 112-114 most of month (exception), but you get runs of 110-112's easily in June/July/August. By mid-Sept., nights and am's cool a bit.
To cool off a 2000 sq. foot house, probably 250-300 month for summer months. Less in September. Depends on thermostat setting and if house is newer or older, A/C unit, all of that.
Non-stop drizzle can't be easy. I don't mind a rainy day here and there, but many months of it must get to you.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:19 PM

1. Do you know if chickens are allowed in the city?
2. Figured as much but you never know. Scorpions are foreign to us up here.
3. We have rattlesnakes in Eastern Washington and they sun themselves sidewalks on occasion. I've also read some things about "snake training" for dogs. I've got a smart one and a dumb one though so it might not be 100% successful for both dogs.
4. AC is another foreign thing to us up here. What's the difference between refrigeration and evaporative? We visited Austin, TX recently and the AC was too cold for us and we are used to being cold, so I'm assuming we'd not have it cranked up. I'm comfortable around 80 degrees.
5. The Salt River looks nice! But I'm thinking a nice pool in my own backyard where I can drink my adult beverages and swim clothing optional is the best way. I'm assuming there are pool service people to take care of such a thing since I'm clueless.
6. We did drive along some canal and saw runners and bike riders on the trail. Seems like a nice way to get in weekday runs. I will check out the other areas you suggested.
7. Hip isn't all it's cracked up to be. One of us is an actor so we like to go to the occasional show and she'll need an outlet for the acting. Is there one part of town that's more inclined to have more theaters?
8. Yep, I know this is the motherland of micro/macro breweries. We tried 4 Peaks brewery when we were down there and it was fine. Just not what I was used to. I also brew my own beer so if push came to shove I could brew my own hoppy goodness.
Thanks!

Old 09-30-2011, 01:28 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,271,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdogg View Post
Right now I'll take hot and dusty over cold and rainy. After 40-someodd years up here I'm just about done with it.
I lived in Washington State for 40 years, well, Oregon and Washington anyway, and I love hot and dusty over cold and rainy too...although, I am getting a little tired of summer. Its practically October and its still over 100 degrees.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:03 PM

19,456 posts, read 27,907,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdogg View Post
1. Do you know if chickens are allowed in the city?
2. Figured as much but you never know. Scorpions are foreign to us up here.
3. We have rattlesnakes in Eastern Washington and they sun themselves sidewalks on occasion. I've also read some things about "snake training" for dogs. I've got a smart one and a dumb one though so it might not be 100% successful for both dogs.
4. AC is another foreign thing to us up here. What's the difference between refrigeration and evaporative? We visited Austin, TX recently and the AC was too cold for us and we are used to being cold, so I'm assuming we'd not have it cranked up. I'm comfortable around 80 degrees.
5. The Salt River looks nice! But I'm thinking a nice pool in my own backyard where I can drink my adult beverages and swim clothing optional is the best way. I'm assuming there are pool service people to take care of such a thing since I'm clueless.
6. We did drive along some canal and saw runners and bike riders on the trail. Seems like a nice way to get in weekday runs. I will check out the other areas you suggested.
7. Hip isn't all it's cracked up to be. One of us is an actor so we like to go to the occasional show and she'll need an outlet for the acting. Is there one part of town that's more inclined to have more theaters?
8. Yep, I know this is the motherland of micro/macro breweries. We tried 4 Peaks brewery when we were down there and it was fine. Just not what I was used to. I also brew my own beer so if push came to shove I could brew my own hoppy goodness.
Thanks!
A pool of your own is very common, but be prepared to pay the higher cost of electric, maintenance and recognize that you are unlikely to use it for 5-6 months a year. Be sure to scope out that you have no two stories homes near by your backyard for that skinny dipping!

A/C and evap cooling are entirely two different things. The vast majority of Phoenix residents would not accept living with only an evap cooler. Although we don't get too much humidity here, they are ineffective at cooling when the humidity does occur - like in August. Some people do install them to reduce their requirements on a/c, with the idea being that the reduce their electric costs.

Theaters - downtown for the professionals. Amateur theaters are all over the place, pretty far flung at all ends of the valley. Truthfully, I don't think that you will find it's as well represented or well attended here as you are used to, but you can find an outlet.

Keep your dogs on a leash and you'll have little concern about snakes. I've been here for 20+ years and have yet to see one (saw them in Thailand and Costa Rica and Mexico, though). Scorpions - I've seen maybe half dozen.

The BIGGEST decision you will have to figure out is where to live in the Valley. And that decision is best based on where you are going to be working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area