Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 02:01 PM

124 posts, read 413,432 times

Advertisements

I agree with Twiggy. Life is short live it to the fullest I would do the same apply all over the country and find your place if AZ was not your home to begin with it wont be the 2nd time. The traffic you are going to find anywhere but there really is no sense of community and there is nothing but asphalt and cement and more shopping and more shopping and more shopping oh yeah and resorts and golf courses that why all the retirees come to AZ so do what your gut tells you and dont come back that feeling you had before is not going to change try somewhere new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 04:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,329 times
You are correct Vegaspilgrim, traffic is pretty much horrific in every major metropolitan area. It is a symptom of the world we live in today, there is no way to avoid it unless you live very close to work or have reliable mass transit. My problem in Phoenix is that my job, if I take it, is in downtown Phoenix (Central and Thomas). So to move back, I have to eliminate the east valley where I lived before (Chandler). I can not live in the east valley again, it was maddening to commute from there. So if I move back, I must move to central or north Phoenix, which I don't know much about.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:15 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy3 View Post
You are correct Vegaspilgrim, traffic is pretty much horrific in every major metropolitan area. It is a symptom of the world we live in today, there is no way to avoid it unless you live very close to work or have reliable mass transit. My problem in Phoenix is that my job, if I take it, is in downtown Phoenix (Central and Thomas). So to move back, I have to eliminate the east valley where I lived before (Chandler). I can not live in the east valley again, it was maddening to commute from there. So if I move back, I must move to central or north Phoenix, which I don't know much about.

I hate to tell you to move back there, although I liked it there from 1988 till a few years ago. If I needed to move back for financial reasons I guess I would and I would make the best of it which would include a house on one of those fake lakes where I could take my paddle boat or pontoon out. That's if I could afford it

A friend of mine's parents just bought one of those new condos somewhere downtown. They sold their house in Ocotillo and she says are seem very happy with that condo downtown. Does that sound like something that may fit your lifestyle?

Old 08-22-2007, 06:09 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,662,820 times
Default Not Phoenix

Speaking as someone who has been in both cities, I'd try to find some other than Phoenix.

Phoenix is pretty much the opposite of NYC, but particularly in all sorts of bad ways - poor public transportation so that it's all cars, dreadful sprawl so that you never get to know the city well, no good newspaper so that the public isn't very informed, not much emphasis on culture so that it's all sports-oriented. Phoenix thinks of itself as friendly, but it seems a shallow and apathetic town compared to NYC. Sorry.

Unless...is there a chance you could have a four-day work-week and live somewhere else for three days?

Of course, you didn't mention the specifics of what you didn't like. And it's always possible that you could make more of an effort to make a good niche for yourself.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:36 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,954,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Speaking as someone who has been in both cities, I'd try to find some other than Phoenix.

Phoenix is pretty much the opposite of NYC, but particularly in all sorts of bad ways - poor public transportation so that it's all cars, dreadful sprawl so that you never get to know the city well, no good newspaper so that the public isn't very informed, not much emphasis on culture so that it's all sports-oriented. Phoenix thinks of itself as friendly, but it seems a shallow and apathetic town compared to NYC. Sorry.

Unless...is there a chance you could have a four-day work-week and live somewhere else for three days?

Of course, you didn't mention the specifics of what you didn't like. And it's always possible that you could make more of an effort to make a good niche for yourself.

Oh that newspaper is something else isn't it? I love it when I see someone quoting the Arizona Republic.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:02 PM

178 posts, read 801,168 times
If your job would be near Thomas and Centrl, the residential area north of Missouri, between 19th st. and 24th is very nice and green. When walking, esp at night, you can feel the temperature difference from all the large trees and shrubs. It is an older established area, quiet, pleasant, and close to most things you might want. The commute shouldn't be more than a half hr, if that long. i believe the commuter train which runs up central will be completed in 2008, so you'd only have to drive west a very short distance, along Camelback, to Central to get the train. Worth considering unless you only want a brand new house.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:40 PM

86 posts, read 415,932 times
Question downtown condo's

Well I have a question. These families that are moving into the downtown condo's...where are they sending their children for school? I don't live in Phoenix but am relocating there this Oct/Nov and have had issues looking for decent high schools. The only decent 1 I saw that was close was in Ahwatukee and that wasn't close according to mapquest. The distance was 20miles for me to get to St. Luke hospital on Van Buren and if traffic is as bad as ppl say it is I would never make it to work.

Old 08-22-2007, 09:47 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,665 times
Quote:
Thanks for your responses. Keep them coming. Some people think that because I am from NYC, I am snobby about other cities. This is not true. Although I love NYC, all cities have very good and very bad things about them including NYC. One of the things I sought to escape in NYC, overcrowding, was just as prevalent in Phoenix. The fact that is was spread out does not matter. After a while in Phoenix, I felt like I was living in a wall to wall parking lot. Moreover, I grew up in NY and can honestly say the traffic in Phoenix is worse, worse than the LIE, worse than the Cross Bronx, worse than the BQE, worse than the Van Wyck. My commute in Phoenix, a mere 20 miles on the highway, took 1 1/2 hors each way. I realized I would rather be crushed on a subway in the morning. But most worrisome for me is the direction of Phoenix, it only seems to be getting worse, worse in the sense of development, pollution, traffic (I dont care about the 202 loop expansion, it will be the next wall to wall highway) and people (crime is getting pretty bad there). Is there any sense of community out there, other than psychotic homeowners associations that make you paint your house desert brown?
After reading this post, I don't really know why you'd even consider moving back here. If you hate Phoenix so much, and you're going into it with the preconceived notion that you'll hate it, don't you think you're setting yourself up for a miserable existence??????

Old 08-22-2007, 11:51 PM

124 posts, read 413,432 times
Im not sure which Highschool you are talking about in Ahwatukee but I went to Mountain Pointe and its almost to diverse we had riots all the time you had all the rich kids from the Foothills and all the lower income kids from Phoenix and there were always little groups all over at lunch time. Im not sure of any good schools in Phoenix I would maybe to a private school.

Old 08-22-2007, 11:58 PM

376 posts, read 490,167 times
Smile I get it for sure.

Quote:
I am a professional and native of NYC. After eight years of living and working in NYC, I was burned out and needed a change. Previously, I had been coming to Phoenix for years, since about 1987 when my best friend from High School moved there. Back then, Phoenix was a decent sized City and completely different than today. So when I needed a change, I moved to Phoenix in the beginning of 2006, not fully appreciating the changes I witnessed over the years. I got a decent job in my field and was making good money. The economy was and still is really good in Phoenix. However, I hated living there. Rather than rant and rave as most people do, I will just say it was not for me. So after one year, at the beginning of 2007, I moved to a different state, one with a horrible economy. I have been unemployed ever since. Here is my dilemma. I can not find a job in the state that I currently live in and don't think I will. I don't want to go back to NYC. My old boss in Phoenix just called me and offered me my old job back, and has made a very generous offer, more than I even made in NYC. But I don't like or want to live in Phoenix. I have decided to let you, perfect strangers, decide for me. What the f*** should I do?
I wonder what field you are in? There has to be other areas in the country with this type of job available. I hate Phoenix. It sucks. I am very close to killing someone on a daily basis, and I am sure stomach issues due to stress will be right around the corner (thanks to rude people and dangerous drivers and high cost of living. I am SO TIRED by the time of year due to being in an oven for 6 months. I am wiped out.) So, I totally get it.
My advise: life is about choices. Every choice you make has pluses and minuses and you need to decide what is most important. Is it doing the kind of work you do and not looking into other types of work? Is it something you could do online and telecommute? I will say this: I am stuck here due to a child custody situation and cannot wait to move. I am sacraficing my hapiness, health and well being to be with my child. However, when it is my time to move (to HI) I will do any job to live there. I will scrub toilets if I have to. I want to live somewhere beautiful that is happy. I love the water, and the perfect weather. So, I find that most people get so rigid with the type of work that they want to do and never want to think about looking for other work-outside the box.
If you are in desperate financial straights, take the job here, and consider other areas or jobs you could live in or do and work that plan while you are here. Make a plan. Decide how long you can handle living here-make a goal and work that goal. If you have any other questions, please let me know. I wish you health, hapiness and nothing but positive things in your life.

Oh and I am seeking employment (I live in Scottsdale) so if you have any idea of a job that pays a LIVING wage with benefits with a m-f 9-5ish schedule please let me know. Perhaps you know someone who knows someone? I am having a hard time finding a job for someone without a college degree and without very specific work experience. (I worked many years in the hospitality industry and also worked at my own at home eBay business) Mahalo for any help or thoughts you may have. And let me know if you need any other ideas or thoughts as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area