Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,147 times

Advertisements

We are very seriously considering moving to AZ next year to be closer to family but some things I have been reading are alarming. We are looking to move to Chandler or Gilbert since those areas seem to be spoken highly of. I own a computer repair business that I will have to establish in the area as well.

I stumbled upon [mod cut-- website link removed] and was shocked by what I read. Is the area as bad as all that or does the author need therapy?

Last edited by observer53; 10-26-2011 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 PM

240 posts, read 839,983 times
If you are thinking of moving to Arizona to be closer to family, then it would seem to reason that you have some positive regard for said family, so maybe it would be better to ask them instead of strangers who post on a forum...

But since you asked, it is so freaking dry here, that ninety percent of people have bleeding cracks in their skin, you have to be careful not to accidentally come across someone's bloody discharge so you don't catch anything. Don't think you can hide though, because it is so scorching hot here that there is absolutely no vegetation anywhere. You better like brown rocks and dust, and oh! better watch out for people driving in that brown haze because it makes them madder than normal, and normal means getting the finger at every other turn while someone else cuts you off. And don't even get me started on the horrible immigration problem, absolute lack of jobs, out of control crime, snowbirds who come here intentionally for half the year, and little green monsters just waiting to ffff you up.

Seriously now, c'mon. There are over four million people in the Phoenix MSA. It can't be that bad, can it?

Maybe you can take an extended vacation, stay with family, and see if this area is for you. Really, everyone has an opinion, but the only one that can tell you if this area is for you, is... you.

Grains of salt, grains of salt, grains of sa... [mod cut-- response to deleted material]

Last edited by observer53; 10-26-2011 at 02:23 AM..

Old 10-26-2011, 08:12 AM

11,522 posts, read 14,703,199 times
Phoenix metro seems to be an area people like pretty much or really don't. It's not much in the middle, it seems. It's a large metro, too--not everyone's cup of tea.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:37 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,516,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dura View Post
If you are thinking of moving to Arizona to be closer to family, then it would seem to reason that you have some positive regard for said family, so maybe it would be better to ask them instead of strangers who post on a forum...

But since you asked, it is so freaking dry here, that ninety percent of people have bleeding cracks in their skin, you have to be careful not to accidentally come across someone's bloody discharge so you don't catch anything. Don't think you can hide though, because it is so scorching hot here that there is absolutely no vegetation anywhere. You better like brown rocks and dust, and oh! better watch out for people driving in that brown haze because it makes them madder than normal, and normal means getting the finger at every other turn while someone else cuts you off. And don't even get me started on the horrible immigration problem, absolute lack of jobs, out of control crime, snowbirds who come here intentionally for half the year, and little green monsters just waiting to ffff you up.

Seriously now, c'mon. There are over four million people in the Phoenix MSA. It can't be that bad, can it?

Maybe you can take an extended vacation, stay with family, and see if this area is for you. Really, everyone has an opinion, but the only one that can tell you if this area is for you, is... you.

Grains of salt, grains of salt, grains of sa... [mod cut-- response to deleted material]
Love the sarcasm.

On a serious point though, the heat and lack of rain are two things I don't like about metropolitan Phoenix, but I didn't move here for the weather so I try to barely tolerate the summertime misery.

In the grand scheme of things our dry heat is a little more tolerable than scraping ice, shoveling snow, and freezing just about every part of your body.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Phoenix metro seems to be an area people like pretty much or really don't. It's not much in the middle, it seems. It's a large metro, too--not everyone's cup of tea.
I fall into the category of pretty much liking it here but I'm probably one of the few people that would be more in the middle.

The knuckleheaded politicians, intense summertime heat, and more duststorms than good rainstorms lately are a few things that bother me some.

Other than that we really have it pretty good here despite the economy which is poor all over, not just here.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:23 AM

Forgot to mention the traffic and bad drivers, another annoyance for me but certainly not unique to the Phoenix area.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:48 AM

800 posts, read 1,916,860 times
This is a large metro area which includes somewhere between 27 and 30 distinct municipalities. Don't choose certain towns such as Chandler/Gilbert just because of what you've read, which may have been written by someone who knows little to nothing about the other municipalities. Every town/city in the Phoenix Metro Area (which we refer to as "The Valley of the Sun" has its own strong and weak points. It is strongly recommended to rent here for at least six months, get familiar with different areas, then choose a long-term home. Where you are working, how much you can afford, and where your family live should be some of the most important factors on where you move. Best of luck if you move here, and welcome. You'll get used to the bleeding heel-cracks after a while.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:42 PM

203 posts, read 492,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S. Chris Webb View Post
This is a large metro area which includes somewhere between 27 and 30 distinct municipalities. Don't choose certain towns such as Chandler/Gilbert just because of what you've read, which may have been written by someone who knows little to nothing about the other municipalities. Every town/city in the Phoenix Metro Area (which we refer to as "The Valley of the Sun" has its own strong and weak points. It is strongly recommended to rent here for at least six months, get familiar with different areas, then choose a long-term home. Where you are working, how much you can afford, and where your family live should be some of the most important factors on where you move. Best of luck if you move here, and welcome. You'll get used to the bleeding heel-cracks after a while.

Strongly agree here with this. If you read this thread, there seems to be only posters and shills for communities in Gilbert, Chandler and far flung areas of the valley in Buckeye and Peoria. Nothing against any of those places..if that's your thing great. I feel bad saying I've been to Gilbert/Chandler once and all I could think was...who would live this far out. That being said, if you work there..no brainer living there. If you work in the Central areas, it's a no brainer to move somewhere in Phoenix/Scottsdale.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,690 times
In addition to your research on the living situation, please think carefully about trying to establish your business. This area especially has a great deal of competition in that area. I don't want to mention company names but there is a certain very large electronics retailer who has locations all over the Phoenix area and has a large chunk of the computer repair business. Even office supply retailers now have computer repair in-store. There are also more than a few franchises that handle that type of work, and they are all in competition with the folks doing it out of their living room. This area also has many people working on a contract basis for this type of work, as "local repair" for nationwide computer repair companies. Chandler/Gilbert/Mesa are especially saturated with the mom and pop style repair shops.

With regards to your move, everyone will have their own takes on the area. Only you can know what is right for you. I personally grew up in CT (in the 70s/80s) and after 4 years in Phoenix am counting the days until I can afford to leave here and get back to the East Coast. What I can tell you is that this area of the country will be SO different from where you come from, that it will be entertaining and exotic enough to be enjoyable for at least the first year (no snow, decent roads, etc).

If it's possible for you, come to the area for 3-6 months. Experience the summer here. In some ways our summer can be as limiting as the enforced seclusion of New England winters.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:51 PM

2,396 posts, read 2,744,321 times
Oddly, despite the "seriousness" of the post, the originator enver returned - but I would have been curious to know what was deleted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area