Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:46 PM

8 posts, read 16,386 times

Advertisements

Last time I was on this site, I was going to a job interview. Well I got the job, and now need to find a place to live. We are looking to rent a house in Chandler just north of the 202 between Dobson and Alma School. Is this a good area? I looked at a house after my interview and liked it a lot. At least compared to others I saw. My sister-in-law, who lives in Awatukee foothills, but does not know Chandler well at all, did not love the area. I did, but I was only there literally 15 mins. So, does anyone have any suggestions regarding this area? She thinks that the ideal place for us is either Awatukee or Ocotillo. We are looking for approximately 1,800 to 2,000 sf house with a pool in a good location for $1,400 to $1,600 per month. I will be working on Washington in downtown phoenix, but my son will be attending preschool in Chandler. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 11:02 PM

371 posts, read 1,008,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZphoenix View Post
Last time I was on this site, I was going to a job interview. Well I got the job, and now need to find a place to live. We are looking to rent a house in Chandler just north of the 202 between Dobson and Alma School. Is this a good area? I looked at a house after my interview and liked it a lot. At least compared to others I saw. My sister-in-law, who lives in Awatukee foothills, but does not know Chandler well at all, did not love the area. I did, but I was only there literally 15 mins. So, does anyone have any suggestions regarding this area? She thinks that the ideal place for us is either Awatukee or Ocotillo. We are looking for approximately 1,800 to 2,000 sf house with a pool in a good location for $1,400 to $1,600 per month. I will be working on Washington in downtown phoenix, but my son will be attending preschool in Chandler. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions....
Gridlock going west/north on I-10 to downtown Phoenix in the AM is MONUMENTAL...even though it is an iffy area you may want to look in S. Phoenix to decrease that commute unless you want to leave at 6AM or spend your life on the freeway.

PS, Awatukee isn't known as the world's largest cul de sac for no reason...avoid that area like the plague.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:14 AM

Default Please help

Are you referring to the traffic in Awatukee when you say Cul-de-sac?

I do plan to get into work early and leave early to avoid traffic. We are from Los Angeles, so we know first hand about traffic.

I am concerned about the area, it looked nice to me, but I don't live there. Does anyone know where the so called "bad pockets" or areas are in Chander? I would like to know the areas, streets, intersections to avoid. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks....

Old 08-26-2007, 09:03 AM

343 posts, read 552,356 times
The area you referenced by the 202 and Alma-Dobson is a great area and around your price range for a $250 k home.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:25 AM

371 posts, read 1,008,410 times
Quote:
Are you referring to the traffic in Awatukee when you say Cul-de-sac?

I do plan to get into work early and leave early to avoid traffic. We are from Los Angeles, so we know first hand about traffic.

I am concerned about the area, it looked nice to me, but I don't live there. Does anyone know where the so called "bad pockets" or areas are in Chander? I would like to know the areas, streets, intersections to avoid. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks....
Basically there are only a couple roads leading into Awatukee and they all come off of I-10...too many people are packed in there for the amount of roads.

If it was me I would look in the Ocotillo area of Chandler.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:36 AM

The price range/sq ft "AZphoenix" listed is hard to find in Ocotillo. In fact it may be obsolete if it's in the "Ocotillo" development. There are a couple nice communities near by however. I'm still inclined to think it's likely that price range is still tough to find.

Old 08-26-2007, 11:37 AM

My mistake, because you CAN find a rental for that price.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:34 PM

751 posts, read 1,178,340 times
Quote:
We are just renting at first until we can decide what is the best area for us to buy in. I just don't want to live in a place that is not great and get a bad first impression of phoenix.
I hope this worked I attached a link with a map. Please let me know, anyone if this area is nice.

Thanks....
I used to live by Dobson and Southern, in Mesa. Just North of where you will be and I am familiar with the area south of it. It is a nice area, you will not have any problems with crime or anything, although Phoenix is very cookie cutter, to me, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert,Tempe all look pretty much the same.You are by a hospital and a mall, and close to the highway, so it is a pretty good location.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Default Map

I hope this works, here is the map of the area we are considering to rent in. I just want to make sure that it is a good area. I want a good first impression of Phoenix and I don't want the location to hinder my opnion. I would like to rent first, and then buy a house (after getting to know the area).

I know that traffic will not be good.

So, is this a good area, would you and your family live in this area. Will I have to worry about crime or driving the wrong way into a not so good part of Chandler? Where is the pocket of Chandler where the area might not be that good?

More than that, will I be comfortable in this area. I live in the San Fernando Valley (Los Angeles, California), in a pretty good area. Just trying to get a sense of this area and trying to compare. I know it is hard to do, but I am trying. Thanks for any and all help....

Old 08-26-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Map

Had to delete the previous map. Sorry here is the map.
Attached Thumbnails
Update-map.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area