Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:33 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I disagree with this thread immensely. I feel the people in Arizona are incredibly generous. I have recruited physicians from other states and they thank me everyday because their patients are actually grateful and compliant in Phoenix. It's incredibly easy to meet people and unlike other cities, people want to meet people and make friends and that's the norm here because everyone moved here from some other city.

I want to add something else. I feel the people are geniunely friendly. What I mean by that is people are laid back and respect your privacy but if you have the desire to meet people, they are open to it. I love that. I couldn't stand Okahoma City or Dallas because people were incredibly fake and nosy. They would get into your business and be very intrusive. You don't get that here. In Arizona people will be your friend if you desire it but they are not intrusive or fake.

Are people materialistic? Yes, but there is a difference between being materialistic and fake. Yes, people desire wealth but they are not fake. I feel like people are sincere and open about their pursuits. What is wrong with desiring success and wanting nice things? That doesn't automatically make you a bad person or unfriendly. I like the fact that people are driven and people move here because they want a better life and want to have nice things. I like the fact that people take pride in their appearance. I like the fact that people are constantly wanting bigger and better things in Phoenix. I think that's an honest quality about Phoenix however un-p.c. that may be.

In terms of the natives, their stance is almost hypocritical. The natives relish in the success and growth of their city but then lament the very source of the success behind their city...the people that moved here! If it's one group that I feel is unfriendly are the older natives because they still have that chip on their shoulder. Thankfully, there is a large population of people who moved here from elsewhere and are more receptive to newcomers.
Agreed. And, you get what you give. If you come in to a situation in ANY city with "attitude", you are likely to get "attitude" back --- and, in the case of some of the posters on this thread, then come here and tell the world that everyone in the Phoenix area is rude based on a reaction to their OWN behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:23 AM

547 posts, read 1,187,580 times
Thumbs up I agree

Quote:
I disagree with this thread immensely. I feel the people in Arizona are incredibly generous. I have recruited physicians from other states and they thank me everyday because their patients are actually grateful and compliant in Phoenix. It's incredibly easy to meet people and unlike other cities, people want to meet people and make friends and that's the norm here because everyone moved here from some other city.

I want to add something else. I feel the people are geniunely friendly. What I mean by that is people are laid back and respect your privacy but if you have the desire to meet people, they are open to it. I love that. I couldn't stand Okahoma City or Dallas because people were incredibly fake and nosy. They would get into your business and be very intrusive. You don't get that here. In Arizona people will be your friend if you desire it but they are not intrusive or fake.

Are people materialistic? Yes, but there is a difference between being materialistic and fake. Yes, people desire wealth but they are not fake. I feel like people are sincere and open about their pursuits. What is wrong with desiring success and wanting nice things? That doesn't automatically make you a bad person or unfriendly. I like the fact that people are driven and people move here because they want a better life and want to have nice things. I like the fact that people take pride in their appearance. I like the fact that people are constantly wanting bigger and better things in Phoenix. I think that's an honest quality about Phoenix however un-p.c. that may be.

In terms of the natives, their stance is almost hypocritical. The natives relish in the success and growth of their city but then lament the very source of the success behind their city...the people that moved here! If it's one group that I feel is unfriendly are the older natives because they still have that chip on their shoulder. Thankfully, there is a large population of people who moved here from elsewhere and are more receptive to newcomers.
I have to agree with you "azriverfan", we have lived here 6 years now and in the last couple of years I have noticed people getting even more open and friendly, not less. I really don't think it's because I have gotten rude as suggested by another.

That being said, I have noticed increasing rudeness towards those of Hispanic heritage, unfortunately. I believe this is probably due to the rising irritation towards illegal immigration and the loss of economic security however and not towards an overall rise in rudeness itself.

I love the diversity here in Arizona and value the friendships I now enjoy. People definitely get back what they give out.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:32 AM

81 posts, read 347,464 times
rude, fake, plastic, pretentious" people

Hmm, these are terms with highly different definitions!

Rude: Don't run into rude people here, but I never see the lowlife parts of the city. If you run into rude people, toughen up! Don't take it personally, move on with your goals and ambitions.

Plastic: Welcome to Scottsdale, Arizona! There is more silicone here than most cities. Eat sushi? Wanna be a playa? Comes with the territory.

Pretentious: Same as plastic. Yes, people see the visitors to these amazing resorts. They want to be cool too, spend $1000 on the hatband for the $5000 Montecristi hat. But they can't. Deal with it. Enjoy the ride. Life's too short....or, do something and make something outrageous out of yourself, find a new market, product, sell into the China play.

Or otherwise, just feel intimidated by the illusions that have nothing to offer your life that is being well lived.

Be happy.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:58 PM

23 posts, read 69,178 times
For a big city, I think the Phoenix area is one of the friendliest. Little to no honking or road rage, and as long as I'm polite and courteous to others, the same has been extended toward me in return.

As far as random acts of cruelty are concerned, I know they happen, but they just haven't happened to me. All I'm saying is that, in my experience, every time I have been a civil human being toward someone else, they have shown me the same civility.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:20 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,134,931 times
We were celebrating our wedding anniversary in "Snotsdale", at one of the supposedly "finer" resorts".

Our server knew it was our special day, and we never encountered such egregious behavior at any restaurant before. I refuse to have a "snotty" attitude towards ANYONE, and it showed when we tipped the guy.

The food was great, the "service" was timely, but this guy's attitude was terrible.

Anyhoo, next time we'll do it in Sedona.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:56 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Annie View Post
I have to agree with you "azriverfan", we have lived here 6 years now and in the last couple of years I have noticed people getting even more open and friendly, not less. I really don't think it's because I have gotten rude as suggested by another.

That being said, I have noticed increasing rudeness towards those of Hispanic heritage, unfortunately. I believe this is probably due to the rising irritation towards illegal immigration and the loss of economic security however and not towards an overall rise in rudeness itself.

I love the diversity here in Arizona and value the friendships I now enjoy. People definitely get back what they give out.
In Arizona, I have noticed discrimination and callous remarks toward illegals but often those remarks are made by Hispanics American citizens! I'm Hispanic as well. I feel like the non-Hispanic community does NOT group illegals with American born Hispanics in Arizona which is different than LA because in LA, I don't think they really care or distinguish if you are an illegal or legal if you are Hispanic. The strange thing about Arizona is that people who are completely tolerant and nonracist toward Blacks, Asians or other ethnicities can be completely racist and bigotted toward illegals. They can't distinguish between hating illegal immigration and hating the immigrants themselves. I'm opposed to illegal immigration but I don't hate immigrants and I don't see how people can justify hating a group of people because they are in this country illegaly to improve their life. If I had it my way, I would spend billions building a concrete wall on the entire border regardless if that project took 20 years. It needs to be built.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-28-2009 at 04:04 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 04:12 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,350,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
We were celebrating our wedding anniversary in "Snotsdale", at one of the supposedly "finer" resorts".

Our server knew it was our special day, and we never encountered such egregious behavior at any restaurant before. I refuse to have a "snotty" attitude towards ANYONE, and it showed when we tipped the guy.

The food was great, the "service" was timely, but this guy's attitude was terrible.

In Scottsdale, it seems like you get one of two types of servers

Server A: Completely professional to the point that you get perfect service. They know the menu well. They go out of their way to be professional and accomodate you. You feel like you are dining in First Class on a 747 jet. They are smart, and efficient albeit slightly robotic but I will take that type of service any day.

Server B: A wannabe model or actor/actress who feels like they are too good to be serving tables. They act like they are better than you because they have the priviledge to wait tables at this hot spot. They act bored. They don't make eye contact with you. They try to show they are really smart because they don't write anything down or verify what you ordered because they don't need to. They try to get you to order fast and try to get away from you as fast as possible. They seem to judge their patrons and if they sense you are one of their lower class diners then you are going to get the "Sigh..hurry up and order because I have more wealthier tables to tend to, I just want to get you out of here ASAP"

I've experienced plentyof Type B servers in Scottsdale and I completely know what you mean. I feel like the only way you will receive respect is if you act arrogant yourself and show a lot of bling by wearing flashy clothes and jewelry. Believe me, the servers in Scottsdale look at those things and judge people accordingly. I've addressed this by getting to know my server's name if the server was a Type A and asking for them when I return. It makes a huge difference and you will often get VIP treatment this way. If it means waiting 30 minutes, I will do so if it means I can get that server. This also punishes the bad servers when they realize that clients don't want to sit in their section and would rather wait for a table in their colleague's section. I do this wherever I go. If the restaurant is great and you get a great server, get their name and save it in your phone or whatever. Then when you come back ask for that person. Even if the server doesn't remember but you tell them you had them last time and had a great experience, they will go out of their way to make sure you are happy. Works everytime!

Last edited by azriverfan.; 05-28-2009 at 04:20 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 04:45 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,722,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
Haha, native Arizonans are faultless? All states in the United States were formed by people coming from elsewhere, Arizona's just seeing its boom later than others. There's a mix in everything you listed above in some natives of all states, including Arizona. Many native Phoenicians don't appear laid back, but bitter that their metro area, featuring high job growth and extremely nice winter weather, is growing rapidly. I have trouble with the fact that many native Phoenicians, and Arizonans, complain about new residents, when, in fact, their families were once new to the state. I'm sure the residents before them, including the Native Americans, weren't very excited about their arrival. Some Phoenicians want to pin the traffic and smog in the Valley on the newcomers, right before jumping in their SUV's and sitting in traffic on the 10.

I have seen a lot of New York bashing on this thread, and I certainly don't appreciate it, seeing as I am from the New York area. You cannot classify a whole group of people based on some experiences that you've had. Sure, there are some newcomers here who couldn't care less about their neighbors, being polite, or being decent people, but you have to realize that they come from everywhere, including Arizona.
I can honestly say I have spoke with thousands from the north east area, including the New York area. Unfortunately others and even myself associate all people with north eastern accents with new york. My coworker is from rural new york, he is all right and will agree it is the people from the north east cities that have the problem.

Constantly speaking about how much money they have, how big their flat is, and it has nothing to do with the conversation at hand. I could start a conversation talking about a band or the weather, but they somehow fit their money into the conversation. Most people from that area are very short, impatient, and very nerve racking to deal with.

Yes, everyone came from everywhere else and the flying spaghetti monster saved us all. But the people born and raised of this state I get along with very well. They could be any race or any type of person and still get along with well. Though if you don't like region bashing because you are from there, you can always move back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Whattt da hell????

Dude, puhleeezzz!
What they are pfft! People from California are crazy about that sunshine. Artificial or not

Old 05-28-2009, 06:31 PM

Default Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post

Hey Yaz, have you ever tried Kincaids down by the ballpark? We have celebrated several Anniversaries with Kincaids and they have made us feel like a King and Queen. I would highly recommend them for your special day.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:51 PM

Default I know what you are saying....

Quote:
In Arizona, I have noticed discrimination and callous remarks toward illegals but often those remarks are made by Hispanics American citizens! I'm Hispanic as well. I feel like the non-Hispanic community does NOT group illegals with American born Hispanics in Arizona which is different than LA because in LA, I don't think they really care or distinguish if you are an illegal or legal if you are Hispanic. The strange thing about Arizona is that people who are completely tolerant and nonracist toward Blacks, Asians or other ethnicities can be completely racist and bigotted toward illegals. They can't distinguish between hating illegal immigration and hating the immigrants themselves. I'm opposed to illegal immigration but I don't hate immigrants and I don't see how people can justify hating a group of people because they are in this country illegaly to improve their life. If I had it my way, I would spend billions building a concrete wall on the entire border regardless if that project took 20 years. It needs to be built.
Hate is such a useless emotion. I don't understand people hating any group of people just for being different than themselves or similar but with different circumstances. I have seen unjust rudeness towards American born Hispanics as well. For example, I was enjoying a lunch with a friend of mine at a nice restaurant one day and two couples were sitting across the restaurant from us. She couldn't see them but I could. They kept looking over with disgusted looks on their faces and talking among themselves. When we left, we walked right by their table with her in front of me and they openly glared at her. I was upset by their rudeness and their ignorance and you are right, I didn't notice them glaring at any of the other people having lunch and I'm sure in our diverse city we probably had every ethnicity represented in the restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area