Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2007, 01:03 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,010,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMan View Post
Native Arizonans are very relaxed and easy going people, even native Phoenicians are soft spoken and calm...the rude people are from the east coast ,the crazy people are from california ,the drug dealers come from mexico ,and the white trash comes from texas. Theres just too many people from out of state here. They dont consider arizona their home so they feel no need to make it better, it sucks to them so why make the effort.
Haha, native Arizonans are faultless? All states in the United States were formed by people coming from elsewhere, Arizona's just seeing its boom later than others. There's a mix in everything you listed above in some natives of all states, including Arizona. Many native Phoenicians don't appear laid back, but bitter that their metro area, featuring high job growth and extremely nice winter weather, is growing rapidly. I have trouble with the fact that many native Phoenicians, and Arizonans, complain about new residents, when, in fact, their families were once new to the state. I'm sure the residents before them, including the Native Americans, weren't very excited about their arrival. Some Phoenicians want to pin the traffic and smog in the Valley on the newcomers, right before jumping in their SUV's and sitting in traffic on the 10.

I have seen a lot of New York bashing on this thread, and I certainly don't appreciate it, seeing as I am from the New York area. You cannot classify a whole group of people based on some experiences that you've had. Sure, there are some newcomers here who couldn't care less about their neighbors, being polite, or being decent people, but you have to realize that they come from everywhere, including Arizona.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 04:14 PM

8,324 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixMan View Post
the crazy people are from california
Whattt da hell????

Dude, puhleeezzz!

Old 08-29-2007, 04:23 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdswines View Post
Hi Sheena. I just wanted to make it clear that I really like the PHX metro area - a lot. My wife and I visited last year and have considered relocating there eventually.

I'm only trying to figure out why so many haters go on and on about all the "bad" people there. We had a great time when we were there and didn't encounter any rude people at all. I know a week may not be a good sampling, but still.

Sometimes I think the haters may be seeing what they want to see. If you're miserable someplace, you're going to notice all the terrible things - even if it isn't necessarily reality.
We will all come out with different impressions of Phoenix. I doubt many on this forum will actually like it as much as I did. Key word is did like it and like it very much.

I don't know maybe, I can't speak for everyone. I know I wasn't miserable in Phoenix, I was content but still noticed the the unfriendly atmosphere, but like I said I blended in myself so it wasn't a big deal. I was busy with my own family and driving everyone to sports, so I didn't really have much free time for socializing anyway. I don't feel the need to be completely negative because that wasn't my experience in Phoenix. I grew accustomed to the area and I consider it home even though it isn't my home.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:56 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
I also suspect that like in anywhere else, some of the hostile attitudes stems from the thug mentality of many illegals. Where I live the illegals are among the most hostile and rude people. They actually get annoyed if not offended right in your face if you don't understand their broken English and ask them to repeat something. This happens whever I go to McDonalds now. And this is in Maryland, 2000 miles from the border.
I find Mexicans - illegal or legal, very friendly for the most part. They are extremely hard workers as well.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Rudeness & arrogance exists everywhere. Admittedly, the Phoenix area has its share of it. However, I remember a time many years ago when Phoenix used to be a friendlier place ... probably because it was much smaller at the time. Now, it's nearly four million people (metro area) with most everyone rushing around to get somewhere in the many miles of sprawl.

I would suggest, however, that a lot of the rudeness here possibly comes from OTHER AREAS ... in other words, people who have transplanted here. Honest to God, if you want rudeness, spend some time in New York City. Or worse yet, try to work with someone nosey, snippy, and haughty who transferred here from the NYC area. The accent alone is enough to want to bang your head against the wall ... but the bellyaching & arrogance on top of that can be enough to make even the most tolerant person impatient & defensive.
I completely understand this feeling. The New Yorkers come here, and their liberal politics subsequently allow illegal aliens to not only live but thrive here, so now my part of Maryland has the worst of the New YOrk AND the Los Angeles areas, and none of the goodness and pleasantries of the South. This is part of why I want to leave. I can't see myself raising a family here. But these threads make Phoenix sound just as bad. If Phoenix is more West Coast than East, is that good or bad. Are Californians as arrogant or immoral or elitist and rude as the New Yorkers and Bostonians? I also really hate the New YOrk accent and it really turns me off the moment I hear it. I especially hate people from Long Island and Westchester and want nothing do with anyone from these places.

Is Las Vegas any different from Phoenix. And I mean the "real" Las Vegas outside the tourist areas? I used to expect Phoenix to be a middle AMerican city similar to the Midwest with hospitality and friendliness. The more I read differnt forums the more upset I get. Why can't those people from Jersey and NYC and Boston and LA just stay where they are. If they move why can't they respect the culture and lifestyles of native people? I feel pushed out of Maryland by Yankees and illegals. The Yankees are very snobby and pompous and self-righteous while the illegals are downright hostile and confrontational to people.

Old 08-30-2007, 02:35 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,068 times
Quote:
I completely understand this feeling. The New Yorkers come here, and their liberal politics subsequently allow illegal aliens to not only live but thrive here, so now my part of Maryland has the worst of the New YOrk AND the Los Angeles areas, and none of the goodness and pleasantries of the South. This is part of why I want to leave. I can't see myself raising a family here. But these threads make Phoenix sound just as bad. If Phoenix is more West Coast than East, is that good or bad. Are Californians as arrogant or immoral or elitist and rude as the New Yorkers and Bostonians? I also really hate the New YOrk accent and it really turns me off the moment I hear it. I especially hate people from Long Island and Westchester and want nothing do with anyone from these places.

Is Las Vegas any different from Phoenix. And I mean the "real" Las Vegas outside the tourist areas? I used to expect Phoenix to be a middle AMerican city similar to the Midwest with hospitality and friendliness. The more I read differnt forums the more upset I get. Why can't those people from Jersey and NYC and Boston and LA just stay where they are. If they move why can't they respect the culture and lifestyles of native people? I feel pushed out of Maryland by Yankees and illegals. The Yankees are very snobby and pompous and self-righteous while the illegals are downright hostile and confrontational to people.

Well you would like me and a have a NY accent and I am certainly not a liberal I know what you are saying though. Try living with my guido Italian gansta New York family from the Bronx. I know the attitude well.

Old 08-31-2007, 05:12 PM

131 posts, read 648,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
I find Mexicans - illegal or legal, very friendly for the most part. They are extremely hard workers as well.
I am sure what you have contributed is true, based on your experience. On the other hand, there are illegal aliens in our nation who are not only hostile, but violent. You have been very fortunate. Thanks for the contribution.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:55 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
I also really hate the New YOrk accent and it really turns me off the moment I hear it. I especially hate people from Long Island and Westchester and want nothing do with anyone from these places.
I don't like it either ... BIG turn off! It's not so much what they say, but HOW they say it. Of course, most anybody from the east will deny that they even "toawk dat way", and then they'll comment about how Phoenix is a dust bowl with nothing going on except heat & illegals, and their city is so much superior than anything in the Sun Belt.
()

Quote:
I used to expect Phoenix to be a middle AMerican city similar to the Midwest with hospitality and friendliness.
Not so much anymore. A lot of it has to to with the enormous population increase we've experienced over the past few decades, turning Phoenix into a very large city. Bigger cities usually mean less friendlier atmospheres.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:29 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,931,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolaterie View Post
hmm.. first month I was here, my husband and I were taking a walk. Some dude passed by in a car, rolled down his window and threw a drink at me. First month of going to school, I was walking to college and some guy passed by and called me a insert racial slur. During the first few months I was learning to drive, just the blatant disregard for driving rules astonished me. I realize this is characteristic of big cities. But I spent most of my life in Toronto, and I think someone called me a racial slur once when I was 10 and I've never had a drink thrown at me. Consequently, I was more than just a little angry. I've lived here for around 4 years now, and nothing bad has really happened (when you minus everything that is traffic/car related). Maybe I've learned to assimilate? I've also stopped walking outdoors... But to be fair, I've met some great people and have had a lot of positive experiences.
Well Toronto, Canada is a completely different nation and the driving and culture is just different. I don't think Phoenix is anywhere near the top of the list of places with aggressive driving. I know the DC area is very high up, along with LA, Miami, Boston, and Atlanta.

The guy who threw the drink was probably jsut some drunk college kid. It happens, I knwo it from personal experience. Not very smart but when you get drunk things happen. Here in MD this happens a lot too, either from drunk college or high school students, or from ghetto-type thugs driving sports cars and blasting rap music.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:37 PM

19 posts, read 53,676 times
I believe the saying that only boring people get bored.

Maybe rude people attract rudeness??
If someone is rude to me here, I feel bad for them for being unhappy and leave it at that. Rude people dont accumulate here. The most amazing, giving and wonderful people are here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area