Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 PM

391 posts, read 788,238 times

Advertisements

Hi, we have a vacation place in AZ and are getting AZ resident licenses (for golf discounts). I have never felt I needed a firearm for self defence but I just love the idea of plinking away out in the desert (safely of course).

I have been getting mixed advice about whether I can buy one or not.

Does anyone know if this is legal?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2012, 02:19 AM

153 posts, read 318,013 times
E. The department of public safety shall issue a permit to an applicant who meets all of the following conditions:

1. Is a resident of this state or a United States citizen.

2. Is twenty-one years of age or older.

3. Is not under indictment for and has not been convicted in any jurisdiction of a felony unless that conviction has been expunged, set aside or vacated or the applicant's rights have been restored and the applicant is currently not a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.

4. Does not suffer from mental illness and has not been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution.

5. Is not unlawfully present in the United States.

6. Has ever demonstrated competence with a firearm as prescribed by subsection N of this section and provides adequate documentation that the person has satisfactorily completed a training program or demonstrated competence with a firearm in any state or political subdivision in the United States. For the purposes of this paragraph, "adequate documentation" means:

(a) A current or expired permit issued by the department of public safety pursuant to this section.

(b) An original or copy of a certificate, card or document that shows the applicant has ever completed any course or class prescribed by subsection N of this section or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club or organization that conducted or taught the course or class attesting to the applicant's completion of the course or class.

(c) An original or a copy of a United States department of defense form 214 (DD-214) indicating an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions, a certificate of completion of basic training or any other document demonstrating proof of the applicant's current or former service in the United States armed forces as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 5 of this section.

(d) An original or a copy of a concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or a license as prescribed by subsection N, paragraph 6 of this section.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 AM

153 posts, read 318,013 times
You wouldn't qualify. You have to be here more than half the year to be a resident.

Old 01-04-2012, 05:22 AM

710 posts, read 3,392,377 times
You're right that he wouldn't qualify, but not exactly vis a vis the reason why.

He's a non-immigrant resident, and non US citizen. Whether he's an 'Arizona resident' is immaterial, because one doesn't need an Arizona license to own a firearm, and the language you quoted is from the CCW permit statute.

What you do need though, to buy a firearm from an FFL, is to be a US citizen, a permanent resident (who's lived here for >90 days) w/such status through ICE/CBP, or a foreigner with a hunting license. The hunting license exception is the one that OP should pursue.

This has been brought up before on CD - I'm sure there's a thread.

ETA - here's the thread. It's older, so some material is outdated now. A Canadian chimes in around page 11-12 or so...

//www.city-data.com/forum/arizo...n-laws-12.html

Old 01-04-2012, 08:18 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,058,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2k View Post
Hi, we have a vacation place in AZ and are getting AZ resident licenses (for golf discounts). I have never felt I needed a firearm for self defence but I just love the idea of plinking away out in the desert (safely of course).

I have been getting mixed advice about whether I can buy one or not.

Does anyone know if this is legal?

Thanks
If you don't think you need it for self defense, then just go to a shooting range and plink away to your hearts content.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:38 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Tracy View Post
If you don't think you need it for self defense, then just go to a shooting range and plink away to your hearts content.
And go to jail. It is a felony for a non-immigrant, non citizen to possess a firearm under the Brady law unless they have a valid US hunting license and the gun is use for hunting.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:40 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
And go to jail. It is a felony for a non-immigrant, non citizen to possess a firearm under the Brady law unless they have a valid US hunting license and the gun is use for hunting.
But can they rent and use one at a range? I don't own a gun, but I rent and shoot at a range.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:47 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
But can they rent and use one at a range? I don't own a gun, but I rent and shoot at a range.
I didn't notice the "range" in the post. I think it would still be illegal (possession) but that is above my legal knowledge. Foreigners certainly can't have one to go out in the desert as the OP asked about. Having said that, the odds of being bothered by LE out in the desert are near zero. But driving there could put you in jeopardy if you get stopped for a traffic violation and the cops see the gun and your CDN drivers license.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:49 AM

4,511 posts, read 13,582,493 times
Quote:
I didn't notice the "range" in the post....
Right, that was brought up as an alternative. The OP could call some ranges to check if interested.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,698,705 times
Quote:

What he was referring to I am sure is a rental range where they rent guns to you for use while you are there.
What code is violated by this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area